Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Born to prep
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up four hospital blankets from the thrift store this week. They are white and one has zigzag ribs and the tag says 55%45% cotton polyester the other ones do not have tags but I did a burn test on one and it did not melt and ball up so I think they are 100% cotton.

I think I will save the 55/45 one to use as snow cammo but the other ones will make good diapers.

I bought for them $7.47 with tax to make diapers out of to use as trade stock postSHTF. The question is do I cut the three up now and serge the edges for diapers or do I save them in blanket form and make diaper out of them as needed?

I also have not been able to find diaper pin in the store and have been forced to just buy regular safety pins. I think safety pins will make a good trade item postSHTF. I have also been buying subdued colored baby clothing when I can find it cheep or even better free. There is not a lot out there in the way of dull earth tone baby clothing. Before you all start hammering on me let me, I understand that there is no need to dress or diaper babies, but I am counting on the sheepeople not knowing it.

·
Born to prep
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think of it like this, the blanket can be made into diapers, but the diapers you make cannot be remade into ablanket. Blankets have many uses, where a diaper is just a diaper.
Bt I have a lot of blankets and it would be simpler to make them now then it will when I am trying to survive. It is one of those 6 of 1 and a half a dozen of an other type things.

Maybe I could cut one into diapers then edge stitch them by hand to see how hard it and how long it takes.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
the blankets will have better trade value and more opportunity to trade if left whole. somebody may need women's pads or pads for wounds or an injury, may need the blanket left whole for invalid care, etc etc. if you are thinking about trade value i'd leave them whole. you will run across more people with other needs than those who especially want diapers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd probably leave them as blankets. That way it's both a blanket and a Flat diaper. Flats have to be folded a certain way but it's not hard to learn. You can buy the real diaper pins online pretty cheap. They're super strong so you can use them for bigger jobs that the little pins can't handle. I keep one on my bob just in case a strap breaks or something. Great thinking to store diapers, someone will definitely need them :)

·
Follow your own star
1,905 Posts
You can pick up cheap cloth diapers at yard sales or second hand stores.Im stocking up on any I find,just in case....oh and the rubber pants that go with em to help stop leaks and cotton training pants as well...

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,888 Posts
That's why this place is so damn handy. Have a look see what others are storing, get it. Don't buy stuff to trade, buy it to store away.
I suspect that is what OP is doing, i.e., buying stuff to store away, and to potentially trade.

Personally, I will not be looking to store diapers. In a situation where conditions are dire enough that people need to trade for them, my guess is they'll have little to trade me back. Anyone with children who hasn't considered the lack of diapers after TSHTF hasn't prepped at all, and thus I can't imagine them having anything worth bartering for them.

Having blankets that you could turn into diapers--or anything else, or leave as blankets--seems a worthy prep to me. As others have said, you can turn blankets into diapers, but you can't reverse the process very well. I'd leave them be as-is, and concentrate on using my time in some other pre-worthy activity.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
In a situation where conditions are dire enough that people need to trade for them, my guess is they'll have little to trade me back. Anyone with children who hasn't considered the lack of diapers after TSHTF hasn't prepped at all, and thus I can't imagine them having anything worth bartering for them.
Not necessarily.... take me for example. I have no children, and I'm not married. Right now I have 0 diapers in storage. Not a single one. I have no plans for diapers right now.

Now if TEOTWAWKI happened, and I ended up getting married and we had a baby (perhaps this wouldn't be the best time to be having kids), I would certainly be willing to barter for diapers, and I would have plenty that could be bartered (notice, I said could - as with others here, I've come to the conclusion that it could be trouble to buy stuff specifically for barter, not to mention I'd rather use those funds for preps I need, but that's a topic for a different thread).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I understand that there is no need to dress or diaper babies, but I am counting on the sheepeople not knowing it.
Ummmm what? Man this whole time with two kids and I don't need to cloth or diaper them? Wish I knew that. :xeye: Babies and kids must be clothed just like big people.

To the question at hand though, absolutely save them as blankets. Like pointed out there are MUCH more uses and trade value that way. Also perhaps invest in a sewing machine that can be worked by hand and with electricity.

That's why this place is so damn handy. Have a look see what others are storing, get it. Don't buy stuff to trade, buy it to store away.
Can't store away labor though. If you need some electrician or plumbing or mechanical help; perhaps medical help, or protection. Lots of things you can't store but can trade for.

Also non perishable items as trade could be good because you could one day run out of perishable items, or perhaps your garden goes bad or has issues and you need some help feeding the family in a rough time. Or you run low on fuel.

·
Born to prep
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not necessarily.... take me for example. I have no children, and I'm not married. Right now I have 0 diapers in storage. Not a single one. I have no plans for diapers right now.
Now if TEOTWAWKI happened, and I ended up getting married and we had a baby (perhaps this wouldn't be the best time to be having kids), I would certainly be willing to barter for diapers, and I would have plenty that could be bartered …
How many members of this board are in the same boat.

What if you came a cross a women that had just given berth and was dying as a result? Would you have the basics needed to care for the baby? Not a lot would be needed you would not have to spend very much if you bought at yard sales and thrift stores.

(notice, I said could - as with others here, I've come to the conclusion that it could be trouble to buy stuff specifically for barter, not to mention I'd rather use those funds for preps I need, but that's a topic for a different thread).
For the most part I try to buy barter items that I could use when TSHTF or that I think I can trade in the early days of the SHTF. I do not pay very much for any thing that I buy in the way of trade goods $10.00 is my upper limit and that has to be something like a almost new Coleman stove most of the time it is less then a dollar. I paid less then $1.75 each for the blankets, surely I can get that back postSHTF.

I know that there will be a lot of thing that I never thought to prep and having a few trade items is like insurance.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
Bt I have a lot of blankets and it would be simpler to make them now then it will when I am trying to survive. It is one of those 6 of 1 and a half a dozen of an other type things.

Maybe I could cut one into diapers then edge stitch them by hand to see how hard it and how long it takes.
I think that's the path I would take. Try one out to see if it's feasible. Then keep the rest whole because of the versatility. If blankets are a hot commodity, you're set. If diapers are what's needed, you would know if you could make them on demand.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
You can do both. Suppose someone in your family has need of a doctor, and you meet one willing to trade his services. It'd be nice to have something to barter with. No matter how prepared you are, needs can always change.

I prepare for barter mostly as a business venture designed to part people with their valuables. And I don't intend to be out doing it until things calm down and it's not such a dangerous time. But if we were in need of something we didn't have access to, I'd at least have a few things that someone might want in trade.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
I'll work for it.
Not sure what you mean you'll work for it. I have all the muscle power I need. I wouldn't want or need a strange working on my farm but I would trade with you for what ever you need. You've got to start commerce again somehow. And I'm sure lots of people feel the same way about having strangers on their property.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Pawiscoming......

I'd say keep some whole and make some into diapers. We don't have any little ones around anymore but my wife still wants to prep for that eventuallity. Never know when one might get dropped off on our doorstep by a single mom who feels she can't take care for it after everything has gone to hell. That or we get blessed with a grandchild.

Anyway we have been triing to pickup infant and toddler stuff at yard sales , not much mind you but quality stuff, but have had no luck in locating a source for clothe diapers/pins and rubber pants . Disposables would be great for bugging out, however for long-term usage clothe would be the way to go.

Good thinking on planning ahead !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts