Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Type 1 insulin dependant Diabetic, and I've been recently working on my Bug Out Bag and preparing for disasters in general. I'm working on putting together a first aid/medical kit for the Bug out Bag. My goal is to be able to survive for about a week off of what I have. I'll need a rotated supply of insulin and a few infusion sets for my insulin pump.

Are there any other Type 1 Diabetic Preppers out there? What are your plans in the event of a Bug Out scenario or emergency? What are you bringing along with you in a Bug Out?

·
reluctant sinner
17,545 Posts
I was on insulin 4 times a day for about 1/2 a year after loosing my leg about 3 years ago. I got off of it with a lot of hard work and some luck. I ask my doc if anything could be done and I just hated to be tied to a refrigerator. Metformin tried to kill me. Glipizide works well with me. I take 2.5 grains a day, down from 10. Cinnamon in my tea did that. My last A1C was 5.8 down from 8.4 at surgery.

I liked the Glargine (bedtime shot) except that I had to keep it refrigerated and throw it away every 28 days once it was opened, shelf life only a year. The short acting stuff up to 3 times a day, needed no refrigeration and had a shelf life of like 3 years.

I worked really hard on diet. Almost no red meat, no butter and no corn or corn products. I can't tolerate oatmeal or raisins. I get a reflux issue that is very unpleasant with the sugars in those three products. Never had an issue with them while on insulin. I'm guessing the Glipizide doesn't help me make the form of insulin to process those sugars. I can handle cane and beet sugar just fine.

I find it best to eat for what I am going to do, rather than to try and catch up.

·
swamp rat
2,533 Posts
I'm a type 2. Started off doing 3 shots a day a few tears ago. Careful diet has me off the syringes and I take 1 Glipizide per day. They have a year shelf life and I have a year supply. I just use the oldest first and replace it every month with the newer drug. I think I could even get to a pill every other day in a pinch if I am on a high protein diet which will happen after SHTF. Not willing to experiment with that yet. Test strips are super expensive tho. I hated Metformin too. It made me nauseous for hours after I took it.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
Type 1 do not have oral meds. But for type 2 you might try metformin er extended release. You might tolerate that better than plain metformin. And take it with food.

If you are in Canada check out diabetesexpress.ca. Very good prices, humalog is $35/ vial vs close to $200 in us. Out of date in fridge is about 3 years. I have never used a pump but would want SYRINGES as back up. Many diabetics reuse syringes without sterilization though they are supposed to be disposable one use. Be aware of potential problems.

Cheapest test strips I have found are Wal-Mart reli on brand, about 50 cents a strip. Meter is less than $10. Test strips have a fairly short shelf life and they will stop working right.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
There is a new inhaled insulin coming on the market in January. It is called Afrezza. The devise is about the size of a whistle and is used at mealtime. Needs no refrigeration. Got rave reviews from the participants in the clinical trials.

I think the guy that developed the insulin pump (Alfred Mann) is the same guy who developed Afrezza.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Pump , insulin , infusion sets , meter , spare batteries , test strips , syringes in case pump issues you can do MDI to get you through. Hardest thing I would say is food , I try to do LCHF but in a bailout that might be a little difficult to do. Worst case sugar might higher than normal. I can tolerate some carbs as long as I compensate correctly with insulin dose.

Diabetes= pain in the a$$ but is controllable.

·
Information Addict
20 Posts
Cheapest test strips I have found are Wal-Mart reli on brand, about 50 cents a strip. Meter is less than $10. Test strips have a fairly short shelf life and they will stop working right.
Yes. Walmart is a godsend for diabetics that do not have health insurance or run out of supplies before their next refill.

The testing equipment brand you are talking about is Relion, and they are dirt cheap.

Something that a lot of people do not know is that walmart also has an agreement with insulin companies, so they can sell insulin at normal prices that are not inflated to milk insurance companies when bought with cash. You can get insulin aspart and NPH for roughly 30 bucks a vial OTC, and they will also sell insulin syringes over the counter.

Try buying the same products at somewhere like CVS or walgreens and prepare to pay between 80 and 150 bucks a vial. Its disgusting. Many pharmacies also will not sell you insulin syringes without a prescription for insulin, even though most of their insulins do not even require a prescription.... Its really frustrating.

While its usually a good idea not to use out of date insulin (i am not a doctor and the following is not medical advice ;)), most modern insulins like NPH and aspart are shelf stable, and are still usually viable long past the expiration date. In a SHTF situation I would not worry too much about the expiration date.

HOWEVER, vibration and ultraviolet light with destroy insulin in short order. I have had several vials of NPH take a dive after just walking around with it in my pocket/backpack. Even when carried with an icepack.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
971 Posts
Type II here. I have a Metformin script. I asked my Dr about writing me a script that I could take to a different pharmacy for an extra 30day supply, that I would pay cash for, for the hurricane box. You would have thought I was asking for morphine. She said she couldn't because it is unethical. So having a reserve in case of emergency is unethical.....
I am supposed to take 1 in morning and 1 in the evening. By watching what I eat during the day, then skipping the evening dose occasionally,then getting refills based on the calendar, I have worked up a 25day reserve over the last 6months or so. Gotta do what I gotta do...
I am trying to convince myself that if I lost a bit of tonnage I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. Words are easy, deeds are difficult....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm on a pump as well and have managed to stockpile at least 6 months supply of everything(if not a lot more, just don't tell my insurance company).
I've been on the pump for about 12 years, and prior to that was on 5 shots a day. Even in that time I was able to push a syringe well past it's recommended life if you know what I mean. My sister is a nurse so save me the lectures, I've been there. Truth be told how many people change there lancet everytime? How many change it every bottle of test strips and how many change it when it fails to draw blood?
If you live a conservative life, accumulating supplies can be a fun rewarding challenge.
Insulin is actually the easy thing to get, even the newer pump "logs". When at the Dr. just sweet talk the nurse into getting you a bottle or two for an emergency. They get it for free and most of the time it sits in their fridge until it expires. I had an uncle that died last year and when they cleaned his fridge out, he had accumulated 24 bottles from his Dr. for free, and they gave them all to me.(yeah its a family thing, genetic....I'm thin and active) I'm getting to the end now and should be able to use them prior to their expiration (which I think is a lie). That has left me accumulating another healthy supply of my own.
Not a hard core prepper, just a slightly prepper mindset. ( Thats my story and I'm sticking to it)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Yes. Walmart is a godsend for diabetics that do not have health insurance or run out of supplies before their next refill.

The testing equipment brand you are talking about is Relion, and they are dirt cheap.

Something that a lot of people do not know is that walmart also has an agreement with insulin companies, so they can sell insulin at normal prices that are not inflated to milk insurance companies when bought with cash. You can get insulin aspart and NPH for roughly 30 bucks a vial OTC, and they will also sell insulin syringes over the counter.

Try buying the same products at somewhere like CVS or walgreens and prepare to pay between 80 and 150 bucks a vial. Its disgusting. Many pharmacies also will not sell you insulin syringes without a prescription for insulin, even though most of their insulins do not even require a prescription.... Its really frustrating.

While its usually a good idea not to use out of date insulin (i am not a doctor and the following is not medical advice ;)), most modern insulins like NPH and aspart are shelf stable, and are still usually viable long past the expiration date. In a SHTF situation I would not worry too much about the expiration date.

HOWEVER, vibration and ultraviolet light with destroy insulin in short order. I have had several vials of NPH take a dive after just walking around with it in my pocket/backpack. Even when carried with an icepack.

Well that explains it! Our mail order pharmacy is PITA and we transferred the script to Walmart. Three months of Humalog pens for $120. The info on their test equipment is also good to know. The doc here likes Brand A because it downloads into their computer system.

I can certainly see the benefit of adding an extra meter and strips to the pile. I wondering if it wouldn't be prudent to also keep some regular vials and syringes around as well.

The husband is very brittle Type 1. Our plans are to bug in unless the house is completely destroyed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For those of you who are having to test your blood sugar at Walmart you can get the relion Prime glucometer for about $17.00 and test strips are $9.00 for 50 or $17.88 for 100.

Also Novolin N, R, and 70/30 are only $24.88 per bottle and you can buy up to 4 at a time. You don't need a prescription for these three.

I'm sure a lot of people here probably know this but maybe there is someone who doesn't.

·
Information Addict
20 Posts
I can certainly see the benefit of adding an extra meter and strips to the pile. I wondering if it wouldn't be prudent to also keep some regular vials and syringes around as well.

The husband is very brittle Type 1. Our plans are to bug in unless the house is completely destroyed.
Yeah I am a pretty brittle type 1 that lives alone so I am doing the same. I also just try to keep my options open in the face of standard medical advice that assumes ready access to cheap medical care. People die of pretty mundane diabetic complications all the time because they were caught off guard, and there really isn't any sense in that given how easy it is to double up.

Walmart generally also sells A1C tests and ketone test strips OTC. I have actually had medical professionals ask me why I bothered buying them when I can just come in for labs. There is a lot to be said about convenience alone when it comes to staying healthy, not even taking into consideration the possibility that there might be no way to get to a hospital (too sick, SHTF, car won't start, whatever).

·
Super Moderator
20,631 Posts
Type II here. I have a Metformin script. I asked my Dr about writing me a script that I could take to a different pharmacy for an extra 30day supply, that I would pay cash for, for the hurricane box. You would have thought I was asking for morphine. She said she couldn't because it is unethical. So having a reserve in case of emergency is unethical.....
I am supposed to take 1 in morning and 1 in the evening. By watching what I eat during the day, then skipping the evening dose occasionally,then getting refills based on the calendar, I have worked up a 25day reserve over the last 6months or so. Gotta do what I gotta do...
I am trying to convince myself that if I lost a bit of tonnage I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore. Words are easy, deeds are difficult....
T-rex.... you can get your script refilled about 5 days before you run out at Walmart. That gives you 5 days extra every month. Quicker than skipping a dose every once in awhile

·
Registered
38 Posts
You didn't mention a Glucagon kit or any carb dense snacks. My daughter is T1D and is on a pump. Stockpiling supplies is relatively easy, especially with all the OTC options out there. you can always lower BG without insulin but it's hard to raise it without carbs. I recommend skittles and some put away some pure maple syrup into some kind of pouch. Syrup will get your BG sky high in an emergency situation.

·
"This is my Boomstick!"
1,774 Posts
Type II. Plain Oatmeal with a little bit of Organic Blue or Black Berries with some ground Cinnamon everyday for breakfast and or Lunch.

One tablespoon of locally made honey and one tablespoon of Ground Cinnamon in a cup of warm to hot water first thing in the morning and 30 minutes before you go to sleep.

Keep ground cinnamon in your bag and as much meds as you can stock up on.

Eat healthy, get fit and stay fit (exercize), quit smoking if you do, take good care of your hands, feet, heart, skin and eyes.

Limit consuming high carb beer if you drink beer.

Try lemon or lime on your salad instead of Dressing.

Wear good quality Diabetic socks. :thumb:

And as you already aware, stay away from sugar and high carb foods.
Find the foods that are good for you that you enjoy eating and stick with them.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I agree with Jager - you must have diabetic socks, they dont have the seams or elastic like normal socks and can be picked up very cheaply on Ebay. Good shoes are vital, don't let them rub in any way, blisters are very bad in Diabetics.

Remember to take some sugery foods/drink with you, you don't want to go too low and end up in coma.

You may wish to add a lot of gauze, bandaging, saline etc just in case you get a foot wound, they take for ever to heal on a Diabetic. LOOK AFTER YOUR FEET, or you'll loose them, my father has lost 9 toes and half a foot so far.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts