Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local gun shop checking out some of the new 1911s available now. The variety of new brands is overwhelming!

Desert Eagle has a pretty snazzy 1911 with really nice checkered wood grips, deep blue finish, hi-viz 'combat sights', extended beavertail grip safety, extended thumb safety, extended slide release and skeletonized hammer. It has a superb trigger and a little slide rattle. It also has a full-length guide rod. The DE 1911 uses the Colt Series 70 firing pin. It is also festooned with an annoyingly large "DESERT EAGLE" roll stamped across the slide, but aside from that it is an extremely nice quality 1911.

This is what it looks like:

(not my gun OR photo)

The Sig 1911 also has the same excellent features as the DE, like extended beavertail safety, extended thumb safety and hi-viz sights. Among the minor differences are a Duracoat-type Nitron finish, external extractor and MIL-STD-1913 'Tac Rail'. The Sig uses a 2pc guide rod. The Sig 1911s use the Colt Series 80 firing pin safety. Naturally the trigger wasn't as smooth as the DE, and a had little more creep

The S&W, Ruger, Remington and Taurus versions looked like nice offerings as well.

The Desert Eagle and Sig are both $800. I'm on the fence over which one to get.. The tac rail picatinny on the Sig is a huge selling point for me

Anybody have any opinions about any of these?

·
Hippie Rich
5,437 Posts
I would personally go for the Sig, mostly because of the massive DESERT EAGLE rollmark...

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Sig for the durability and company reputation.

My 226 is 22 years old and still going like a champ.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I own a Mark 19 Desert Eagle and a SIG 229. The DE is a maintenance nightmare. The SIG runs like a top.

BUT: SIG 1911s had some serious issues when they first hit the market if I remember correctly. If it's a GSR, pass. Apparently the Revolution is supposed to be better.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Only experience I have with the Desert Eagle is a jam-o-matic .50 . Its pretty much there flagship. If they cant get that right they rate around HI-Points.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not 100% sure if the Sig 1911 in question is the GSR model or not.

OVERLORD, why do you say the DE 1911s are overpriced junk? Without shooting it, the Desert Eagle 1911 is as nice as any Kimber, Colt, Springfield or Les Baer 1911 i've handled. The trigger was superb, the blue finish reminded me of S&W's deep blue finish on their revolvers; nice checkered wood grips.. etc. I didn't like the gaudy DE roll stamp on the slide, and it doesn't have a rail. Not that big of a deal. Aesthetics. But junk? C'mon.. I wish i could figure out how to load this pic of it from my phone to here.

The Desert Eagle .50 has nothing in common with their new 1911

Truth be told the Taurus 1911 looks like a REALLY great bargain, and i'm leaning towards that one now. Don't hesitate to express your opinions about the Taurus 1911. I currently have two Taurus revolvers that are excellent shooters and haven't given me a bit of trouble since buying them new in 1995, and 1911s are easily serviceable

·
hunter gather thinker
227 Posts
i stand correted, ive never fired or even seen the new DE1911 , but ive owned there 357 and fired a .50 , both jammed several times .
i did like the trigger and the heft of them , but don't feel they are worth the price , beyond the novelty aspect.

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
The DE 1911G or C look like any other "modernized" 1911, on paper the specs look like everything else.

Which is why I would go with the railed 1911 whether you choose Sig, Kimber, or build one up from a Caspian Recon frame.

I agree the DE rollmark is huge but if it is a functional platform who really cares what it says on the slide.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The DE 1911G or C look like any other "modernized" 1911, on paper the specs look like everything else.

Which is why I would go with the railed 1911 whether you choose Sig, Kimber, or build one up from a Caspian Recon frame.

I agree the DE rollmark is huge but if it is a functional platform who really cares what it says on the slide.
Another issue i forsee with the Sig is holster availability with the rail. I haven't yet looked into the types or brands of holsters available for the unique shape of railed 1911s, but that's going to be another bridge to cross.. I already have a decent holster and plenty of spare mags and grips for a 1911, but no gun to put them on. This is almost as much a can O' worms as deciding on which AR to buy.. LoL

The Taurus is looking like the best deal so far with a price of $615 locally in a blue slide/stainless frame version.

Magnum Research IMI/Desert Eagle needs to address the rather large font size of the DESERT EAGLE roll stamp

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
There are a few good holsters for railed 1911's, depends on if you are looking for a tactical or concealment holster though.

Reactions: Filthy_McNasty

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm not 100% sure if the Sig 1911 in question is the GSR model or not.

OVERLORD, why do you say the DE 1911s are overpriced junk? Without shooting it, the Desert Eagle 1911 is as nice as any Kimber, Colt, Springfield or Les Baer 1911 i've handled.
Sorry, but you can't put a Les Baer in that comparison, nor Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, or any of the semi customs. It's not even close.

This isn't a bag on Sig or DE.

To the OP - My opinion is, if you are going to carry it, don't get rails. If it's in a night stand, get rails.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
There are a few good holsters for railed 1911's, depends on if you are looking for a tactical or concealment holster though.
Good point, I will amend my point on rails.

If you are carrying concealed, don't get rails.

If you are carrying concealed, spend the money on a GOOD holster & belt too.

WIth belts and holsters, you really do get what you pay for, and cheap simply doesn't work. (I am a total holster snob)

·
Psalm 31:3
443 Posts
Does it have to be a 1911 design? What about the Sig P220? There are other 1911s out there like the S&W and Springfield but if price is a major factor then you may want to look at the RIA 1911s. I don't know about their quality but the price sure makes it tempting.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does it have to be a 1911 design? What about the Sig P220? There are other 1911s out there like the S&W and Springfield but if price is a major factor then you may want to look at the RIA 1911s. I don't know about their quality but the price sure makes it tempting.
I foolishly traded my Kimber Custom Stainless for another Colt, then on to a H&K USP. Now i've arrived full-circle and want another 1911. I already have other .45s that aren't 1911s. I have Chip McCormick & Colt stainless mags, several grips, holsters, etc.. but no 1911 to put them on.. I guess it doesn't much matter what the stamp on the slide says as long as it's a solid and reliable 1911 under $800.

Desert Eagle, Sig, Taurus and S&W all have features that i'm looking for in my price range. I just have to decide if i want a shiny one or Darth Vader tactical black that i can hang things from. I've also read that 1911s with rails will fit in standard holsters but are just a bit tighter

1 - 20 of 51 Posts