Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided to head out this weekend and do some desert camping and hiking. The area I was at was near 29 Palms and Joshua Tree National monument. Temp during the day was around 85 and at night it was in the mid to low 50's. Full moon at night so it was easier to see but less stars.

The pics of the structures are a little place called Pioneertown. I always like to stop here on the way out and have some food at a place called Pappy & Harriet's.
The town started as a live-in Old West motion-picture set, built in the 1940s. The set was designed to provide a place for the actors to live while using their homes in the movie.[1] A number of Westerns and early television shows were filmed in Pioneertown, including The Cisco Kid and Edgar Buchanan's Judge Roy Bean.

Here's some info if you're interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneertown,_California

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Great pics and beautiful landscape, thanks for sharing. I visited JT some 20 + years ago and still remember how unworldly some of the rock formations were, one looked like a giant skull.

·
USN 1971-1975
80 Posts
I'll bet you had a great time in Joshua Tree. I used to spend Easter Break there with the scouts and all we did was climb those rocks. It was a great time. As for Pioneertown. I had a country band in the 90's and we played quite often in Desert Hot Springs and always thought that it would be great to play at Pappy and Harriets in Pioneertown. Looked like a hopping place. We tried and tried but never could get booked there. Looks like things haven't changed much since then. I'm glad. Thanks for the pics and the memories.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Been to JTNP a few times and know it fairly well. It is a wonderful place to visit but the last time I was there the facilities were run down, half the campgrounds were closed as was the southern entrance. The northern entrances didn't even have people collecting entrance fees.

And you can't take your dog on the trail with you.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been to JTNP a few times and know it fairly well. It is a wonderful place to visit but the last time I was there the facilities were run down, half the campgrounds were closed as was the southern entrance. The northern entrances didn't even have people collecting entrance fees.

And you can't take your dog on the trail with you.
Not sure when the last time you were there was but its pretty well kept now. I usually stay on private land in the area but always try to make my way through Joshua Tree at least for a day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts