Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does desert camo work in the woods?

There are some three day desert camo assault packs on ebay. But, before I buy, how well does desert camo work in the woods?

Maybe this would be a good topic for an article?

·
Made In Detroit
1,731 Posts
What pattern of desert camouflage? It is the US 6 color 'chocolate chip' pattern from before and during Desert Shield/ and the 1st Gulf War? Or the 3 color with faded brown and light faded green pattern from just before they issued the digital camo BDUs?

I wear my USMC Chocolate Chip pattern Cammies (for all of the pockets and they are comfy) to stand out from the background while in the dense green here in the redwood forest. Plus I am trying not to not look like one of the Guerilla Pot Growers in this neck of the woods. But I do have many patterns of green Cammies if I needed to disappear into the background.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Could you buy some bandanas in a bunch of the different camo colors and patterns like what you are asking about? That way you could put one of them on a tree or some bushes and observe from a short distance to see how effective you thought it was. That would be cheaper than investing in several packs and you'd have lots of different patterns to try and see what would work best for you. Also, you'd have a bunch of bandanas, just in case. :)

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,211 Posts

There are some three day desert camo assault packs on ebay. But, before I buy, how well does desert camo work in the woods?

Anything earth tone that breaks up patterns will do well. I'd say in Texas there's probably areas of tall brown grass, dirt, scrub brush, etc. and so forth in which a desert pattern would fit in well.

I love the DCU or Chocolate Chip camoflauge personally. These work well even in forests since they are natural browns and light greens. Most forests have patches of tall grass, dirt mounds, etc.

Something like an assault pack in desert camo, blended in with other darker colors like BDU or Multi-cam, would work well.

If it's a great price, I'd recommend it. But it's probably not the BEST camo pattern for a deep forest. Go for BDU or Multi-cam, or any of the commercial hunter patterns, or even the Marine jungle digital camo.

Also any time I see cheap camo patterned clothing or whatever I'll buy it. The material can be cut and sewn over other material that's not as good of camo, like the ACU digital garbage. For instance, a torn pair of BDU pants might cost $1. Cut off the material which should cover an entire assault pack and you can hone your sewing skills as well.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have few pieces of "camo". My preferences run the tan and OD for my outdoor clothing. You can always darken it if needed. I look more at the functionality of the piece versus what color/pattern it is. For actual "camo", I do like the woodland pattern and the choc chip pattern. The few times I have explored the use of camouflage with my family, those two patterns have worked well for the areas we frequent (Sonoran dessert and pine mountains).

If the pack style meets your requirements and you feel it is good enough deal, get them. You can always add some pieces of different color/pattern as a pack cover if need be.

·
Dog & Reptiles eater
1,411 Posts

Camo effectiveness is dictated more by their pattern instead of the coloring It' about breaking silhouette. Using example from mother nature one can always wonder why certain big cats such as tiger, leopard, and jaguar has high visibility colored (orange, yellow) coat and yet within their natural environment (which is mostly dark green) they are extremely effective against their prey and human. (Tiger even understand the limit of their camouflage)

I'm not sure with your intended operating area for the desert camo, but the only sure way to check their effectiveness is to test it out on the field (sample of the pattern & color) within the intended area or similar environment.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts

Depends on what kind of "woods" & the time of year.
Most "woods" in Texas differ greatly from say woods in the wet/green part of the PNW

In wet/green forests, this works well.

If you mean this type desert camo?
They work fairly well.

Best I have found for about any type "woods" is the digital camo.
Simply because the pattern is sort of foggy, which breaks up your human outline.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For some of my stuff, I lightly spray it down with Camo spray-paint.
Even some that are already camo'ed.
It sorta "dulls" down the brand new shiny material.

Usually the stuff not directly on me. like packs and pouches.

Even a lot of the strap webbing is "shiny."

For "lighter" clothing, try to dye it slightly darker. Use multiple colors to avoid silhouetting. - Or be a blob within your background.

For actual concealment, use local (fresh), (Near-ground-to-ground) vegetation, and stick it within the gear worn.

No amount of camo can conceal anything if you are moving.
Maybe unless it's "Inch by Inch."

I am no expert, these are just some things I tried.

I am half way in the process of making my ghillie suit.
Kind of a once-in-awhile type job.
Typical summer woodland.
In the future I want to make some for different seasons.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,211 Posts
Depends on what kind of "woods" & the time of year.
Most "woods" in Texas differ greatly from say woods in the wet/green part of the PNW

In wet/green forests, this works well.

If you mean this type desert camo?
They work fairly well.

Best I have found for about any type "woods" is the digital camo.
Simply because the pattern is sort of foggy, which breaks up your human outline.

I have to disagree respectfully. Color and pattern do matter. The closer the better.

The WORST I have ever seen in any professional fighting force or otherwise is the digital Army ACU camo. It blends with nothing in nature other than gravel pits where it disappears!

From a distance these look like gray blobs. And at night, they are too light colored and stand out as light patches in the dark. Nothing in the woods or deserts or shrubs is digital or gray. At least the Marpat has the common sense to make two - forest and desert. Those are good, but still ugly digital.

Around here folks can barely give away the digital ACU camo garbage. The surplus stores have almost free prices on it and can't sell it.

The BDU and DCU and Multicam camo are at premiums for a reason - it just works. I've been extremely impressed with the latter in forests as you can almost disappear in it.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
I have to disagree respectfully. Color and pattern do matter. The closer the better.

The WORST I have ever seen in any professional fighting force or otherwise is the digital Army ACU camo. It blends with nothing in nature other than gravel pits where it disappears!

From a distance these look like gray blobs. And at night, they are too light colored and stand out as light patches in the dark. Nothing in the woods or deserts or shrubs is digital or gray. At least the Marpat has the common sense to make two - forest and desert. Those are good, but still ugly digital.

Around here folks can barely give away the digital ACU camo garbage. The surplus stores have almost free prices on it and can't sell it.

The BDU and DCU and Multicam camo are at premiums for a reason - it just works. I've been extremely impressed with the latter in forests as you can almost disappear in it.
I certainly respect your opinion.....:thumb:

To me, just as you state, pattern doesn't matter much.

Movement is what usually gets you spotted.

If not "movement", then noise, square corners & reflection off anything reflective or shiny.

Some of the Sitka coats/pants are quasi-digital & blend in well.

I have a considerable amount of camo in all sorts of patterns.

I don't generally wear it, to remain unseen. I most often wear it for the fit, comfort, durability & lots of well placed deep pockets.

It rains a lot in our BOL neck of the woods.
Given that fact, I'm prone to wearing Gortex coat & pants.

If I really wanted to remain "unseen", I would wear some sort of Gilly suit.

Reactions: bud1

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,211 Posts
Notice that digital exists nowhere in nature. I don't understand the digital craze.

Nature is oblong shapes, bent lines of grass and twigs, imperfect circles, leaf shapes, etc.

No squares... '

I'd give digital a pass if it even looked good but IMO it doesn't. The least offensive is the Marpat but it's still ugly.

·
Made In Detroit
1,731 Posts
Old School Desert Pattern Chocolate Chip 6 color USMC Cammies apparently doesn't work very well in an urban environment either...

·
My Hero Was Derion Albert
2,052 Posts
mix and do not match.I use pants of one pattern and jacket of another. hat of a third. The specific colors depend on the time of year

·
Registered
214 Posts
This isn't desert camo; but, the thread seems to be "evolving" so...

This is in North Georgia in the late spring, but I think it's representative of the southeastern U.S. as well.

This is SPECTRE camo, made by SSO/SPOSNK in Russia. It is digital and reversible too. Once the leaves start turning (and it finally gets, and stays, below 80 degrees) I'm going to see how well the muted side works.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
462 Posts
I almost did that, but instead I went with the blue greenish ACU then I went to Joann fabric and bought a can of brown fabric paint made by Joann fabric for 3 bucks and spray painted the whole pack with a single LIGHT COAT. It mow is mostly brown with some lighter and darker spots due to the lighter whitish parts of the ACU pattern so it is superior to solid brown for example.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Made In Detroit
1,731 Posts
I didn't know desert camop came in more than one type.

Here is the pack I am looking at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-ARMY-M...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
There are many different patterns of desert camouflage out there in the world.

The two (US) desert camo patterns I mentioned above have been show, and there is also USMC Digital Desert MARPAT.

Roughly the same day pack in digital desert camo on ebay, for a lot more money with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOG-Tactica...032555?hash=item1a35ef6aab:g:AkEAAOSw5UZY9TEH

1 - 20 of 48 Posts