Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately I made it onto the "Selectee" list. I fly on a regular basis for work and I can still fly but have to go into the little glass prison for extra pat downs every time now. The last time, I had to be sprayed for bomb resideu, time before x-rayed for bombs, have had shoes taken through x-ray then taken apart, double pats around the privates...you get the picture. I told them last time I would strip naked if they wanted me to but somebody might call animal control and report a bear on the loose. Haha, seriously though it sucks going through extra security each time, especially when you have other people in your group. When I enquired about how I got on and how to get off, the answers to both are so ridiculous, you would fall over laughing. There are a lot of answers to the first question but only one answer to the second...basically let them know every single thing about you and your family for life, keep you permanently on file and pay lots of money.

·
Vigilant
3,749 Posts
You're not alone man. Welcome to the club. They even treat some of their own employees this way. You just learn to deal with it. Or learn to love driving.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've only flown international since the TSA took over. I will not fly within the US because of the TSA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unfortunately, I fly a lot for work. However, I seldom fly on personal business because it's just become too unpleasant, and it's our way of boycotting the process. Our son is so averse to flying that he's chosen to drive from Kansas back to Alaska when he gets out of the Army this fall.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We bought a car this weekend and the dealer had to run my name through Homeland Security because we paid cash and didn't finance. Homeland Security says they have to make sure I didn't get the funds from terrorist activity. Big pile of doo doo, in my opinion. Homeland Security has unlimited access to everything about everyone.

·
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
6,767 Posts
We bought a car this weekend and the dealer had to run my name through Homeland Security because we paid cash and didn't finance. Homeland Security says they have to make sure I didn't get the funds from terrorist activity. Big pile of doo doo, in my opinion. Homeland Security has unlimited access to everything about everyone.
if the purchase was over 10,000 then a report also went to IRS

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
The way to get around that is finance the car then go to the bank next day and pay it off, no HLS

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
The way to get around that is finance the car then go to the bank next day and pay it off, no HLS
We saved up the money in a money market account for a new car. The money market account pays a small amount of interest and allows you to write a few checks per month on the account for free. So we can still use the money, we make a little bit of interest while we are saving up, and it gives us a convenient account to keep track of our progress.
When we went to buy the car, they were offering 0% percent financing. So we financed the car, and auto pay (another savings) the car note from the money market account.

No red flags, no finance charges, no interest, no fees. And we make a couple bucks off the interest in the money market account. It's not much after all the money the banks took from us in the "bailout", but it's at least in our favor for a change.

Another nice feature is that in the event of a real shtf scenario, we have a little extra cash in the money market that can be removed if absolutely necessary. We can then either make the payments one at a time, or just let the car be repoed, whatever makes the most sense.

Az

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I forgot to mention, check the finance charges. Sometimes if you pay the loan off too quick, you still have to pay some finance charges. I ran into this once when I found a great deal on a motorcycle and couldn't get to my money immediately and was afraid it would be gone. I financed the motorcycle, then went and paid the loan off a few days later. They tried to charge me a $500 finance charge, so I just paid the loan down to something really silly like $100, and paid it off the next month with the first regular payment on the loan.

Vehicle loans in my state are simple interest, which means if you pay them off early, you save money. If they're not simple interest, you are paying off the interest first, so the loan company or bank always makes their money even if you pay off the loan early. Other states and financial institutions vary, read the fine print.

Az

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
He has most likely made pro-American statments & professed a belief in the constitution or he could be a military veteran.
If that's all it takes then I'm screwed! Oh, I bought a flashlight too. :xeye: Then I'm sure I meet their criteria for "Terrorist".:rolleyes:

Seriously though, it is just this sort of stuff that makes many think our government is turning into "Nazi's". When honest citizens are falsely accused of being "Threats" then we are all in trouble. Honestly I'm not sure which is a greater threat, the Terrorists or our power hungry government.:eek: Well I guess with this statement I'm on their list for Certain. :xeye:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts