Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. If this village had an idiot, you are talking to the idiot. We throw these terms around, the Dow is falling, etc., and "we're going into a Depression/ Recession", but no one can define for me what that means vis a vis 2008-9 and when it will happen or how long it might be. In 2008-2009 terms what will a depression be like? How much food should be set aside?

I asked someone who I thought could answer this and they merely got off point and talked about the housing crisis. I looked it up on the Internet and there seem to be no one putting their neck out and saying "Ok this is how bad it will get and this is what to expect."

Any links or rational answers?

(I have already read CF nation and the argentina thread, but I was hoping someone could define this as to a country with First World "stuff")

Thanks and if this is duplicative, I apologize, I am just frustrated with the lack of answers that resonate.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Were all gonna die!

·
Registered
71 Posts
In 2008-2009 terms what will a depression be like? How much food should be set aside?
Nobody can predict with certainty. If you look back on 1929-39, it was 25% unemployment. I'd expect even worse in a full blown depression today, because our manufacturing base has been so outsourced. Also, people today are generally not as "nice" as they were back then. So I'd expect some serious riots that will be violently put down by Bush's new "civil unrest quelling" army brigade. And a full-on race war isn't out of the question.

Myself, I have a 6 month food supply on hand, and I will take that up to a years worth within the next 2 weeks.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
Hi everyone. If this village had an idiot, you are talking to the idiot. We throw these terms around, the Dow is falling, etc., and "we're going into a Depression/ Recession", but no one can define for me what that means vis a vis 2008-9 and when it will happen or how long it might be. In 2008-2009 terms what will a depression be like? How much food should be set aside?

I asked someone who I thought could answer this and they merely got off point and talked about the housing crisis. I looked it up on the Internet and there seem to be no one putting their neck out and saying "Ok this is how bad it will get and this is what to expect."

Any links or rational answers?

(I have already read CF nation and the argentina thread, but I was hoping someone could define this as to a country with First World "stuff")

Thanks and if this is duplicative, I apologize, I am just frustrated with the lack of answers that resonate.
Most likely we are going to go into a depression and it will take 3-5 years to see light at the end of the tunnel,does that mean life will be like now,Nope. just means you and yours might not be starving or living in a tent then(maybe).
Unless you are pulling 6 figures right now,you can count on a long climb.
quit apologizing,you are going to get a lack of answers for the rest of your life. We here have just realized it sooner than you and are ahead of the curve.
Stock up staples as much and as soon as you can,get fire arms and know how too use them,scour this site and you will learn alot about most of what you need to know. learn to assess your personal situation.

Good Luck

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
No answers....... I can only look at possibility's out of the past.

We may no longer be a first world country when all is said and done.

I look at history, our great depression, Germany's hyperinflation, Japan in the 1990s.

There are many possibility.

I try and prep for the worst and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
All of the thinkers and analysis shows spiking prices and financial turmoil into if not through 2011.

It would seem logical to go with some huge amount of unemployment along with skyrocketing prices and financial breakdown would define a depression in 21st Century America.

·
Premium Member
12,369 Posts
25% unemployment= 75,000,000 unemployed
industrial production falling by 45%
home building dropping by 80%
two thirds of our nations banks failing
this is a depression scenario based on the 1929 GREAT DEPRESSION facts and figures, adjusted slightly for the years 2008-2019.........

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
actually i think we are going to see a first, i think it will be more of," A GREAT INFLATION,"than a great depression. the value of the dollar will plummet makeing prices of all good raise,and they say when you finally realize your in a ression/depression you have been in one for about 2yrs.

http://www.42explore2.com/depresn.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

here is how hard life was
http://www.allabouthistory.org/life-during-the-great-depression.htm
http://newdeal.feri.org/sevier/interviews/413s.htm

here is a few dishes they would eat

hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts