Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around last Christmas, SWMBO and I were at the local mall where they had a cooking store - all the high dollar kitchen toys you could imagine. We're practical - we just wanted a good, dependable, manual can opener.

Our $14, solid metal KitchenAid can opener hit the trash can last week.
SWMBO can't use a P-38 and I prefer not to have it digging holes in my leg. Does anyone know of a good dependable, manual can opener?
I guess Plan B would be to buy a case of the $2 throwaway openers.

(She Who Must Be Obeyed.....)

·
I have control issues
6,185 Posts
Personally, I love the Swing-away brand can openers. They are high quality, and easy to use. They also last a good long time. I found some at the Target store.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
I have a Rival electric can opener from the 60's that was from my Mom and Dads house.That was manufactured in the USA before they figured out they made things too well to wear out. It has opened thousands of cans and still works like the day they bought it.

Now I do have plenty of manual can openers around when the electric goes down but till then I will use the 50 year old opener.

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
Check the local thrift stores. Those old still-working reliable manual can openers regularly turn up in the flatware and kitchen gadgets bins. Usually priced at 99 cents. They get donated to the thrifts, when the old folks who had them pass on. The grandkids don't want anything that requires effort. They would rather use their ELECTRIC can opener. (Insert eyeroll smiley icon here.)

The little P-38's do work......and I have several of those, also. Not my first choice, though, because I don't have a lot of hand strength. Which is why I have 4 or 5 of those old Ekco sturdy manual openers in my preps.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Check the local thrift stores. Those old still-working reliable manual can openers regularly turn up in the flatware and kitchen gadgets bins. Usually priced at 99 cents. They get donated to the thrifts, when the old folks who had them pass on. The grandkids don't want anything that requires effort. They would rather use their ELECTRIC can opener. (Insert eyeroll smiley icon here.):rolleyes:

The little P-38's do work......and I have several of those, also. Not my first choice, though, because I don't have a lot of hand strength. Which is why I have 4 or 5 of those old Ekco sturdy manual openers in my preps.
Put the eyes in for you!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Reactions: Nimmer

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
All day long all day strong

on a serious note.
We have one like this and its great pricy but great esp since we have lots of cans they can be had for cheaper than listed here but this kind is pretty much indestructable

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/edlund-u-12-1-manual-can-opener-nsf-listed/333U12NSF.html
Farmer those bring back memories of years back working in a big rest. and they are indestructible as many young men beat the crap out of them breaking down # 10 cans with much hatred and fun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I too have bought some brands of can openers thinking I would get quality. I trashed the Kitchenaid opener . It's garbage, as are many other Kitchenaid products.

Check out the swing a ways. Mine have been very reliable and cost less than $10.00

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have spent the last decade working in, setting up, and running commercial kitchens. I can say, from experience, there are three issues with commercial table mounted openers.... all related to the blade.

the length of the blade is such that it always goes deep enough into the can to contact the food. if not thoroughly cleaned immediately, it provides a perfect breeding ground for all the stuff that can compromise your food safety. it really doesn't take all that much effort to clean it off after use.....but the typical kitchen worker would rather spend those 60 seconds in the walk-in doing whip-its. I have never witnessed a health inspection where the inspector did not stop at the opener and check the blade area.

i have seen a blade break in the middle of opening a can. being hardened steel, it didn't just snap it shattered. it sucks throwing away a full #10 can when profit margins are so tight....it would suck even more when your food was tight.

when the blade dulls, shavings happen. same suck factors as above apply. the blades can be switched relatively easily, or could be removed and sharpened with a little patients.

all that being said, it sure is nice to spin the handle three revolutions and have a #10 open in 3 or 4 seconds

the last few places we opened, there was very little need for openers....so i would just buy hand openers as needed. the kitchenaid brand use to be the best....clean cuts, never strip, and long life. they would last 6-9 months in irresponsible hands, 5 years at my house. unfortunately, about a year and a half ago they changed. i threw out the last one the day i bought it. Looking at my home one, it was made in thailand....anyone want to guess where the new ones are made. I have yet to find one as good as the old kitchenaids. Generally the more gadgety, the worse the product.

When i left the business in feburary, i thought my battle with openers was over....unfortunately my home kitchenaid just died.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,166 Posts
Consumer reports gives the OXO good grips smooth edge manual can opener top marks. The Swing Away gets a lot of positive reviews from those who use them. I checked the one I've had for decades and it's an old Swing Away model. Pretty robust unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Consumer reports gives the OXO good grips smooth edge manual can opener top marks. The Swing Away gets a lot of positive reviews from those who use them. I checked the one I've had for decades and it's an old Swing Away model. Pretty robust unit.
i tried the oxo in the restaurant...good for a few days, then sucks like the rest. not sure if/how cr tests for longevity...

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
.44 mag
works every time
Actually I like the new style can openers that cut from the side of the can , you can reuse the lid if you want . worth their weight believe me.

·
Well Smurf ME!
690 Posts
We go through can openers like crazy here. It's nothing for us to buy one every couple of months. We're getting "John Waynes" if I ever remember to order them. My Aunt has one that's hand sized. I like to find one of those.

BigM

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have Swing-aways, Oxo, Farbereware, Kitchen-Aid, Rival and a bunch of those cheap kinds (probably about 20+ altogether), plus a lot of P38s. There are different qualities of the same brands, ex. I have a real nice heavy Farberware, and a lighter lesser quality Farberware opener. I've had my main openers for at least 10 years now. I keep a lot of openers in storage.

Although I have never owned the restauraunt-type opener like Geek talks about, I want to comment on keeping the 'regular' ones clean. I *always* scrub it off with a brush full (I use an old toothbrush) of soapy water after opening a can. Don't just throw it back in the drawer.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I, personally (as does the wife) like the P-51, (bigger version of the P-38, about 50% bigger ). A never fail version of the military standby and bigger fit for those smaller hands. As for poking your leg, small 12" long piece of duct tape wraped around it will stop that and you always have a survival piece of emergency duct tape, LOL. I keep my P-51 on a key ring atached my GHB along with a small 4" mini pry. Wifes is on her key chain.

Also have a couple of really nice hand crank openers we got from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,166 Posts
Just so everyone knows, the new swing a way's are made in China, not sure if the quality has changed.
Isn't everything these days? :cool:

Since everyone seems to use electric can openers these days, the manual ones are a dime a dozen in second hand stores though. Goodwill near my house always has a box full of them that they can't give away. Often full of Swing Aways. It's worth looking around and grabbing a few.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts