Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the thought popped into my head tonight -- what will dental care look like once we can't make an appointment with the dentist for a cavity filling, root canal, etc... I came to the conclusion that we may have to live through some rather excruciating dental pain at times, possibly perform self extractions ::shudder::. the thought also crossed my mind that perhaps our dental condition would improve once we don't have access to all the pre-made, processed foods we often find ourselves eating today and are then forced to eat off the land and from our stores of sustainable foods -OR- perhaps we will be deficient of some important nutrients if we don't have balanced diets and tooth decay would speed up...

in my research on the topic of self sufficient dentistry i found this website: http://www.oramedia.com/
I suppose taking control of our dental health before we don't have access to modern dentistry would be the optimal situation. the website explains how tooth decay/gum disease actually happen, and how to stop and avoid them from occurring through your lifetime. lots of good information on the topic, also good recipes for home made toothpowder/paste...

just food for thought...wondering if anyone else has had thoughts on this. all opinions welcome.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
One thing I can say is have some gold on hand to both fill teeth and pay the dentist. There will be dentist that will revert to old ways. Just few and far between.

I also suggest stocking mouth wash by the case tooth paste and tooth brushes.

·
"Normal" is an illusion
370 Posts
Thought about this and idk what's going to happen, but I'm seeing a dentist the end of this month to get a cleaning and any cavities filled.
Also I use an electric toothbrush (spinbrush type) that takes rechargeable batteries, it helps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I stock two year supply of toothpase/mouthwash
I have dental tools including extraction tools in different sizes.
Don't forget the dental cleaning tools along with floss.

I have hundreds of toothbrushes. We change toothbrushes fairly often but think about this. If there comes a time when you don't have dental care you probably will not have health care. Remember the rule of changing the toothbrush every time you are sick. You would NOT want to keep yourself sick by reusing the same toothbrush. Another possiblity is boiling the toothbrushes. I do that often just to get rid of germs.

You can get toothbrushes at the dollar tree 4/1.00 So stock up.

Next I would say scout out your local dentist. I have a large local map rolled up. On this map I have made notes of who lives where. I took the local phone book and looked up people that I might need and recorded their location on my map. Doctors, Dentist, ham operators, welders, pharmacist, people with farm equiptment just to name few.

Have plenty of bartering items!!

Then keep all dental work up to date. If SHTF it would be bad to have not been to the dentist in five years when you had the chance. At least get up to date to start with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Teach your family to floss after every meal. A dentist told me this will help immensely. Clove oil in stores to help with tooth pain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts