1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading several threads

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=176597

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=176118

I had the question what are the top 10 most violent cites and what is the ethnic makeup of those cities. Note these rankings change from year to year this ranking is from 2010 and likely 2009 or 2008 data sets

Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities in the United States

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...n-_n_787010.html#s188593&title=15_Little_Rock

I used demographic data from Wikipedia

1 St. Louis, Mo
49.20% African-American, 43.90% Caucasian, 2.9% Asian, 2.4% of two or more ethnicities, and 0.3% American Indian and Alaska Native. Hispanics or Latinos of any ethnic group were 3.5% of the population.

2 Camden, NJ
49.9% Non-Hispanic Black, 15.5% White, 2.6% Asian, 0.8% Native American, 0.0% Pacific Islander, and 28.5% from other races. 2.7% of residents were from two or more races. 42.1% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race, majority of which are Puerto Ricans. 13.3% of the population is foreign-born.[43]

3 Detroit, Mi
82.7% Black, 10.6% White, 1.1% Asian, 0.4% Native American, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 3.0% other races, 2.2% two or more races. In addition, 6.8% of the population self-identified as Hispanic or Latino, of any race

4 Flint, MI
53.27% Black or African American, 41.39% White, 0.64% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.11% from other races, and 3.14% from two or more races. 2.99% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 7.2% were of German and 5.6% American ancestry according to Census 2000. 96.0% spoke English and 2.5% Spanish as their first language.

5 Oakland, CA
134,925 (34.53%) White, 109,471 (28.02%) African American, 3,040 (0.78%) Native American, 65,811 (16.84%) Asian, 2,222 (0.57%) Pacific Islander, 53,378 from other races, and 21,877 from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 99,068 (25.24%) persons.

6 Richmond, CA
2010 was 17.1% non-Hispanic White, 25.9% Black or African American, 0.2% Native American, 13.3% Asian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 0.6% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. 39.5% of the population were Hispanic or Latino, of any race

7 Cleveland, OH
52.5% African American, 40.4% White (35.5% Non-Hispanic Whites), 0.3% Native American, 1.5% Asian American, 0.0% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander, 3.0% of some other race, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic and Latino Americans of any race accounted for 9.0% of its population, with Puerto Ricans being the largest hispanic group.

8 Compton, CA
24,942 White, 62,669 African American, 655 Native American, 292 Asian, 718 Pacific Islander, 34,914 from other races, and 3,246 from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 31,688 persons.[44]

9 Gary, IN
84.03% African American, 11.92% White, 0.21% Native American, 0.14% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 1.97% from other races, and 1.71% from two or more races. 4.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

10 Birmingham, AL
73.46% Black or African American, 24.07% White, 0.17% Native American, 0.80% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.62% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. 1.55% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Keep in mind, this isn't per capita, this is the most crimes per city.

It stands to reason that the larger the city, the more crime it will have.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Safest large Cities in America

I went with this list because i wanted larger cities over 500K in population

http://www.suite101.com/content/safest-cities-in-america-a173525

1 Honolulu, HI
29.7% White, 20.6% Black or African American, 0.2% Native American, 55.6% Asian, 8.9% Pacific Islander, 0.9% from other races; and 24.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.4% of the population.

2 El Paso, TX
76.6% White, 3.12% African American, 0.82% Native American, 1.12% Asian, 0.10% Pacific Islander, 18.15% from other races, and 3.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 86.62% of the population

3 New York, NY ... seriously that's what it says ?
33% white (non-Hispanic), 23% black (non-Hispanic), and 13% Asian. Hispanics of any race represented 29% of the population

4 San Jose, CA White (non-Hispanic): 35.7% Black (non-Hispanic): 2.6%
Native American: 0.2%Asian: 33.5% Pacific Islander: 0.4% Some other race: 0.2%
Two or more races: 2.7% Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 33.2%

5 Austin, TX
White (non-Hispanic): 48.7% Black or African American: 7.7%
American Indian: 0.2% Asian: 6.2%Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Two or More Races: 3.4% Hispanic or Latino: 35.1%

6 San Diego, CA
769,971 (58.9%) White, 87,949 (6.7%) African American, 7,696 (0.6%) Native American, 207,944 (15.9%) Asian, 5,908 (0.5%) Pacific Islander, 161,246 (12.3%) from other races, and 66,688 (5.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 376,020 persons (28.8%).[56][57]

7 Seattle, WA
White: 69.5% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 66.3%) Black or African American: 7.9%
American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.8% Asian: 13.8%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.4% Some other race: 2.4%
Two or more races: 5.1% Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 6.6%

8 Portland, OR
78.6% White, 6.5% Asian, 6.4% Black or African American, 1.4% American Indian, Alaska Native,
0.5% Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, 2.9% Some other race,3.7% Two or more races, 8.8% Hispanic/Latino

9 Denver, CO
White: 63.1% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 51.7%) Black or African American: 9.9%
Native American: 1.2% Asian: 3.1%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1% Some other race: 9.2%
Two or more races: 2.8% Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 34.1%; Mexican Americans made up 31.2% of the city's population

10 Los Angeles, CA
White: 49.8% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 28.7%) Black or African American: 9.6%
Native American: 0.7% Asian: 11.3% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.1%
Two or more races: 4.6% Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 48.5%

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
thing about statistics..the more you gather, the more complete the picture.

Race as a percentage of population only implies.

how bout:
1)% of unemployment by race
2) change year over year in this ratio
3) concentration of population within inner city
4)% of population on welfare/other govt services
5)year over year increase/decrease in unemployment - this can allow you to determine if changes in unemployment/govt subsidies, etc are applying extra pressure to the community.
6)govt leadership and policies - is it a predominantly liberal leadership?
7) judicial decision history - does the court reduce/dismiss charges and release repeat criminals back onto the street?
8) turnover of leadership - mayor/police chief, etc. this can impact policies and takes time to build foundations that can deter or promote crime.
9) Mother nature - even if a community hasn't suffered a direct hit from say a Katrina, they may experience an huge influx of storm refugees into their area - this can increase crime as the refugees can be both criminal and easy prey for local crime
10) illegal immigrants - not just border towns, but the influx means business in drugs, under table workers, etc are all prospering when illegal immigrants abound.

go see if the Huffington post folks are willing to dig a bit and come up with real data instead of just tossing some race % out there...then we'll have something to talk about.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,961 Posts
And what was your conclusion? Oh, you didn't have one?

And did you bother, in trying to some how equate "demographics"--the important one of which you decided were race and nothing else--you left out a myriad of other conditions that influence crime rates, including age, social class, employment opportunity, and local economic situation.

BigHanded, above, has it right.

I have to wonder if you were trying to be racist or if you were just having a bad day.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"the Huffington post folks" simply listed to top 10 cities not anything about race of these cities listed anything [/U]other than a given year of the top crime cities and lowest crime cities.

What I posted wasn't intended to be concise or conclusive rather it should as it has, raise more questions than answers Bighanded is of course correct there are other factor to consider.

If race alone is the driving factor then #1 st. Louis 49.20% African-American, 43.90% Caucasian with a 5.3% differential between black and white population would be lower on the list than #10 Birmingham, AL 73.46% Black or African American, 24.07% a 49.39% differential between white but that's not the case

Goose3, I didn't make any conclusions from any of the data, rather a simple question what is the racial make up of the top 10 crime cities and bottom 10 crime cities. There is noting racist about this topic until you stepped in and knee jerked the "race" card ...the real crime here is we can't have a honest discussion about demographics of crime & ethnicity

·
Lonesome Road
1,015 Posts
I don't understand how this could be racist.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Way to kill the messenger guys. He just posted what they put out. What you get from it, is up to you.

I wont take the Politically correct approach to topics that might offend certain groups. I don't think it's healthy to pretend these problems don't exist.

Instead we should accept the facts, and then look into why they are.

Personally, I blame Social Services like welfare, Government housing, and Subsidies, and **** poor management.

If I paid you to sit on your ass all day, instead of work, I doubt you will stay inside behaving like a good parasite. No, you will go out and make under the table money, drink, or cause problems.

This isn't a race problem, but a Social issue. Music, Icons, gangs, and over population fan the flames. But the largest factor is our Government Enabling it.

This shouldn't be celebrated. It should be shunned. Some 5 foot scrawny white guy with a potty mouth and a record deal isn't what I want my child to Idolize so I make sure he doesn't ever listen to it. Here in the country, I imagine it's a lot easier to moderate.

So yeah, I guess I also blame the parents.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Way to kill the messenger guys. He just posted what they put out. What you get from it, is up to you.

I wont take the Politically correct approach to topics that might offend certain groups. I don't think it's healthy to pretend these problems don't exist.

Personally, I blame Social Services like welfare, Government housing, and Subsidies, and **** poor management.

If I paid you to sit on your ass all day, instead of work, I doubt you will stay inside behaving like a good parasite. No, you will go out and make under the table money, drink, or cause problems.

This isn't a race problem, but a Social issue. Music, Icons, gangs, and over population fan the flames. But the largest factor is our Government Enabling it.

Thanks, and it takes more to kill me than a few posts :D:

I agree, I think social environmental is the real factor.

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
I've seen your comments before about race. You are not just a messenger educating people. You do have a conclusion. Why don't you have the balls to say it? Let me guess the only reason is so you dont get banned. I'm sick of your type it's the only reason this forum sucks. Please what does this have to with survivalism? I wonder why the guy that rates all my threads 1 star doesnt rate this one star. Sorry in advance to all others unlike you.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
Crutch;2934130[B said:
]Way to kill the messenger guys. He just posted what they put out. What you get from it, is up to you. [/B]

This shouldn't be celebrated. It should be shunned. Some 5 foot scrawny white guy with a potty mouth and a record deal isn't what I want my child to Idolize so I make sure he doesn't ever listen to it. Here in the country, I imagine it's a lot easier to moderate.

Good GRIEF Crutch, you talkin like you know whats going on...sounds like you GET IT!

My thinking aligns with yours.

I live near one of the safest cities in the US (#7 San Antonio, Tx http://www.morganquitno.com/cit07pop.htm ) which has a Hispanic population of 61.5% and a white pop of 28%.

I am not convinced that race is the prime factor albeit that are many indicators that imply this. I feel the question should be: How many draw welfare, Meidcade, food stamps and live in public housing. In other words (as stated) how many simply do not need to work, but rather live an idle life, they have nothing to do other than crime.

Read the book by Star Parker, a black, drug using welfare, public housing mother, might really open your eyes: 'Uncle Sam's Plantation' she says things in the book that ONLY a black can say and not be charged with racism.

About 45 million folks don't pay taxes, wonder if any of them are ever involved in crime?

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

O and Crutch, I agree with your post except defending him. Wish he was only being a messenger. Just wanted to let you know i wasnt targetting you before i leave this forum. Peace.:thumb:

Reactions: Crutch

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've seen your comments before about race. You are not just a messenger educating people. You do have a conclusion. Why don't you have the balls to say it? Let me guess the only reason is so you dont get banned. I'm sick of your type it's the only reason this forum sucks. Please what does this have to with survivalism? I wonder why the guy that rates all my threads 1 star doesnt rate this one star. Sorry in advance to all others unlike you.

And what would those comments about race be ?

what is the conclusion You think i'm drawing ?

Is there anything in the data I posted that is inaccurate more importantly do you have anything but your own brand of bitter hatred, ignorance and racism to add to the post?

·
Gold Member
328 Posts
It certainly is interesting data. I have no issue with letting us draw our own conclusions. Thanks for compiling it.

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
If the implication is that "non-whites" or just minorities in general are genetically predisposed to violence and crime then you would have to be an extremely ignorant person to believe such garbage. It's mostly social and economical really, and for some people it's easier to point fingers rather then address the real underlying issues that are out there. The whole demographic thing with the mentioned cities is interesting but by no means a definitive conclusion as to why the crime is so high nor who actually is committing them.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Skin color and socio-economic status has nothing to do with it. What does is the influence that Progressive/ liberal ideology has on the culture of the area. I'm sure El Paso and Porland have problems with ********.

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
I have seen some of the Rug's posts and while I am sure I have never seen them all, I have not seen any race issue. He presented legit info and I applaud his sans conclusion posture. As someone who has spent a good deal of my career behind a podium and as an instructor at a post grad level I like to postulate facts and then allow my students to banter over various conclusions. This keeps my foregone conclusion out of the fray until or if needed. This is an excellent way to stimulate thinking...you on the other hand appear to be angered over this and defend it by presenting your conclusions about him rather than addressing the topic. If you were in my class you would get a FAIL.

And what would those comments about race be ?

what is the conclusion You think i'm drawing ?

Is there anything in the data I posted that is inaccurate more importantly do you have anything but your own brand of bitter hatred, ignorance and racism to add to the post?
FYI: I checked your data. I personally hesitate to use Wiki for any reference, only because anyone can post anything. So I looked for other lists. One of the things I saw was that most lists are very similar but not always in the same order. The Wiki data aligns with my findings.

The link in my post (above) breaks down 'most dangerous' by the SIZE of city. You, all, may want to view it to get a good insight in most dangerous and the most safe cities of various population sizes.

It has been my experience that those of the 'liberal' leaning left are the first to draw a negative conclusion and then ACCUSE YOU of being the bad guy as if it was yours. Its been my experience in life liberals do not respond to logical thought or open discussions. The seem to live in a continual attack mode, resort to personal attacks and flame anyone who does not openly agree with them. Racism is the ACE card that forever lurks up their sleeve and will play it with little or no hesitation, especially when they are losing...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts