Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(from today's Wall St Journal)

Joe Biden isn't backing down from his startling claim last week that raising taxes on the rich is the "patriotic" thing to do. On Thursday he upped the ante, thundering that he also has Jesus in his corner. "Catholic social doctrine as I was taught it is, you take care of people who need the help the most," Mr. Biden preached to a group of union supporters on Thursday.
[God, Patriotism and Taxes] AP

Heavens! The political left likes to score Republicans for claiming that God is on their side, but here we have Mr. Biden claiming support from both God and Caesar. If Sarah Palin tried this, she'd send the boys at the Daily Kos into cardiac arrest. We won't get into a theological debate with Mr. Biden, except to say that Biblical tax rates tended to run around 10%, not the 39.6%-plus that Barack Obama's tax plan calls for.

As for patriotism, maybe the young Joe Biden missed school the day the Boston Tea Party was being taught. There's also the point that if you want to finance a war, you need a strong enough economy to throw off the tax revenues to pay for it. As we learned in the 1980s under Reagan, lower taxes that help an economy grow can finance a defense buildup that helps win the Cold War. By that standard, cuts in marginal income tax rates deserve to be called patriotic.

Regarding taxes and social justice, the issue is whether the high taxes that Mr. Biden favors promote economic growth and prosperity, not least for America's poorest citizens. There he doesn't have evidence on his side. Studies from around the world, including the annual Wall Street Journal-Heritage Foundation Index of Economic Freedom, conclusively indicate that countries that keep taxes low tend to have the least amount of poverty.

As for fairness, we'd note that today the top 1% of taxpayers pay twice as large a share of income taxes (39%) at a 35% rate than they did in 1980, when they were taxed at a rate of 70% yet paid only 19% of income taxes. In that sense, the tax code is more "progressive" now.

By the way, Mr. Biden and his wife recently released their tax returns, and they reported an average of $380, or 0.2% of their income, in annual charitable contributions over a 10-year period. The national average was about 2% of income.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Just because someone is unemployed does not meant thye are lazy, my husband was unemployed from 05-06. His career of 11 years went down the drain, He worked for Winn Dixie as a Butcher. The jobs are very scarce here, he went from $18.00+ a hr to what his unenployment gave him of less than $300.00 per week. We made it but there were many who didn't. The rich should pay higher taxes than the middle class or the absolute poor. My husband pays more taxes now than his boss who makes 2 times what he does- how is that fair. He works hard for his money and doesn't get to see as much of it. The rich set there on there hindends and rake in money hand over fist and never break a sweat, the taxes they pay are trivial. They don't need 50 houses and 20 cars, there are many who work hard and can't even afford 1 house and 1 car. The rich are getting richer and the poor poorer, so don't assume every unemployed person is lazy and *****nuts for wanting the rich to pay higher taxes.

And no I will not vote for either canidates, neither have a good handle on what the US needs.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
RNCmomx2:

I think your position requires more attention. While I agree 100% with you regarding not all unemployed people being lazy (hey, I'm part of that crowd right now, LOL) I strongly disagree with you about taxes ... but probably not for the reasons you'd think.

In a free country, no man or woman pays taxes on their income, no matter how rich or how poor. Unfortunately, too many Americans cannot grasp this concept so they pay anyway (even though the are not legally obligated to do so).

Regardless, a man who works hard to become successful has done so at the sweat of his own brow. The government did not take his tests in college nor did they pay his way. There are reasons why some people are bosses and many are not. Being a boss requires a "special" kind of person. While the physical labor may be less, I assure you, the stress levels are exponentially higher than those they manage. Having been in both places, I can tell you that stress will destroy a man long before a sore back.

People make choices in life that determine where they end up. Many choose to avoid the sacrifices necessary to become "rich". Adverse to popular opinion, most "rich" people don't get their money from Daddy or the lottery, they toil for years, usually decades to acheive their goals. I think that should be worth something.

Oh, BTW, if God really wants me to pay more taxes then I must respectfully disagree with God.

Reactions: test

·
6,173 Posts
My husband was the "BOSS" at his old job he still could be where he is at (has been offered, but refused because of the BS that also comes with it-and yes he does make more than the average joe $24.00+ a hour). Not all people who are rich worked for it by the sweat of there brow, some have stole it, cheated there way to get it and evaded taxes to keep it. If I stopped paying my taxes uncle sam would be at my door to collect them, the rich if they don't pay get leneacy and disregarded for years-never to pay a red cent. So I still say let the rich pay more cause they can afford it. The stress from having to pay taxes that take up 1/4 of your salary will kill faster than the stress of what Lamborgini I should by today. More working people (breaking there backs) have heart attacks and die trying to support there families-How many rich have them from doing that?

·
Registered
234 Posts
My husband was the "BOSS" at his old job he still could be where he is at (has been offered, but refused because of the BS that also comes with it-and yes he does make more than the average joe $24.00+ a hour). Not all people who are rich worked for it by the sweat of there brow, some have stole it, cheated there way to get it and evaded taxes to keep it. If I stopped paying my taxes uncle sam would be at my door to collect them, the rich if they don't pay get leneacy and disregarded for years-never to pay a red cent. So I still say let the rich pay more cause they can afford it. The stress from having to pay taxes that take up 1/4 of your salary will kill faster than the stress of what Lamborgini I should by today. More working people (breaking there backs) have heart attacks and die trying to support there families-How many rich have them from doing that?
If I understand your posts correctly your husband turned down a job
and still received unemployment? That is B S! Just because I make
good money doesn't give ANYONE the right to STEAL it to give to
someone that will not work for it.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
The rich should pay higher taxes than the middle class or the absolute poor.
Why? That statement reeks of bitter class envy. They have more so they need to carry your water?
I don't think so.
The so called rich already pay about 55% of the total tax burden in this country.
The middle class takes up a majority of the slack.
And what for?
Instead of pissing and moaning about who should pay more why don't you find out why the government of the US who has the highest monetary income of any government in the world can't get the numbers right and live with what they get now.
Or better still live with a flat 10% across the board.
Anything further is abuse of the tax payer and most taxes in this screwed up system are simply unconstitutional to begin with.

My husband pays more taxes now than his boss who makes 2 times what he does- how is that fair.
Because his boss has a better accountant.

The rich set there on there hindends and rake in money hand over fist and never break a sweat, the taxes they pay are trivial.
You know this how?
Is this not a stereotype as insulting as the unemployed being lazy?
See your own statement coming up and maybe if you look real good and hard you'll see the comparison.

They don't need 50 houses and 20 cars, there are many who work hard and can't even afford 1 house and 1 car. The rich are getting richer and the poor poorer, so don't assume every unemployed person is lazy and *****nuts for wanting the rich to pay higher taxes.
Nope....no stereotyping there uh huh none.
Who the hell are you to say who deserves what as long as they did nothing to take from you to get it?
Like Dan said, they made choices in their lives that were conducive to wealth....you did not apparently so don't snivel when you don't have all the things you want.
I would love to have a few million to spend on all kinds of neat things but I ain't gonna **** and moan that I don't. Nor will I dwell on those who do.
Sure there are ass wipes out there like Paris Hilton who are worthless....so what. Them being them has no impact in your life.
You go on to cry about rich people stealing and cheating taxes.
Until you can prove specific cases and show how it hurt you personally it is simply not your concern.
Get over it.
You married a butcher who refuses promotions.....stop whining that others have it better and about your jealousy skewed perception that they somehow owe more.

And no I will not vote for either canidates, neither have a good handle on what the US needs.
Well, at least we agree on one thing.

So I still say let the rich pay more cause they can afford it. The stress from having to pay taxes that take up 1/4 of your salary will kill faster than the stress of what Lamborgini I should by today. More working people (breaking there backs) have heart attacks and die trying to support there families-How many rich have them from doing that?
Only a quarter?
One year I kept track of all of the taxes I pay, not just income.
And I am far from rich.
I was looking at over 65% a quarter would be a relief.
The Feds got 35%.(had a 15% capital gains that year.)
The state 20%.
Sales tax, fuel tax utility tax, property tax.......A quarter...what are you crying about?

·
6,173 Posts
If I understand your posts correctly your husband turned down a job
and still received unemployment? That is B S! Just because I make
good money doesn't give ANYONE the right to STEAL it to give to
someone that will not work for it.
No he had been on his present job 6 months when he turnd down the job, they wanted him to be on call 24/7 where as other General shift managers were not. That would have meant he would basicly be doing there job and his. They have still not filled that position and its two years later. My husbands direct manager lies and ads poundage to his end reports to gain incentives for extra pay in addition to his base pay. His workers who do the work do not get credit for there hard earned work.

My husband is 34 and has worked full time since he was 14 years old, his family was dirt poor and asked no one for help. He didn't finish school until he was 22 and then went to college part time while working full time to support us. We have been toether for 18 years and married for 12, he had worked as a butcher for 11 years and started at $6.00 and hour and was Department manager after a year due to his work ethics. He had only missed 7 days in the 11 years he was with them. He worked very hard to get where he is at now. The company he works for now was not hiring when he first put his application in but brought him in as soon as they started hiring. He has not let them down, he pulls 9000lbs+ where other that have been there for 15 years only pull 2500lbs as they play around and screw off. They are now cracking down on those who don't do they're job and put 14 on last warning this week.

So yes he did deserve the unenployment he only received for 5 weeks, he does pay for others who receive it and don't deserve it.

·
6,173 Posts
They have more so they need to carry your water?

No they have more so they need to pay more:thumb:How are they caring my water? I pay my taxes, I pay my way-I don't depend on someone else to take up my slack. They do need to pay taxes on all of there money , not just what they decide to to keep in the US and not transfer to offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes on.

Instead of pissing and moaning about who should pay more why don't you find out why the government of the US who has the highest monetary income of any government in the world can't get the numbers right and live with what they get now.

Some of the rich I speak of, politicians are high on the list of lie and cheating to keep what they have.

Anything further is abuse of the tax payer and most taxes in this screwed up system are simply unconstitutional to begin with.

I agree they are unconstitutional, you stop paying yours first-if they don't come after you within a couple of years and you still have all of your assets-I'll stop paying too:thumb: Even when you are late on property tax by a few days they send out letters to your bank to freeze bank assets.
Because his boss has a better accountant

No because he lies about poundage to make his incinitive bigger therefor making more money and paying less taxes.

Is this not a stereotype as insulting as the unemployed being lazy?
See your own statement coming up and maybe if you look real good and hard you'll see the comparison.

Yes it is stereotypeing I don't disgree. I never said that there was not any lazy unemployed. Just like there are some rich who give extra and report all of there income and pay all of there taxes.

Just like with any other situation the honest have to pay for the dishonest don't. It's life and I have to do it by living with less so should they. The only problem with that is that it does not make a difference to them, an extra hundrend thousand is not going to break them. If your have ever worked you would know that you are making someone else money (whether it is a corporation or a individual) Have you ever felt you were being payed fairly? If you have you may be selling your self short. Employers very rarely pay a employee a fair wage, they stick the rest in there pocket for there own good.

Who the hell are you to say who deserves what as long as they did nothing to take from you to get it?

Who the hell are you to take that tone with me, I don't take it from my own husband (he knows better) and I sure will not take it from you.

How do you know it was not taken from me? Exactly you don't! How do you know it was not taken from you? You never know, they already have you fighting for there rights to pilfer the money they steal from others and blame it all on the gooberment.

Are you rich, then why do you take offense? Did I personally bash you Lets see HELL ****ing NO, but since you opened the flood gates why not.

Like Dan said, they made choices in their lives that were conducive to wealth....you did not apparently so don't snivel when you don't have all the things you want.

I chose not to be wealthy LOL, Yes I made a choice to stay home with my children instead of shipping them off to public school where people like you try to change there opinions to meet there own needs or make themselves feel better about there own decrepid lifestyle.

Nor will I dwell on those who do.

So why did you even bother to take time out of your buisy life to dwell on the education of one meager person-because you feel it is your responsablity to stand up for all the poor rich people?

Until you can prove specific cases and show how it hurt you personally it is simply not your concern.

You show proof it didn't hurt me in some way and I'll show you proof it did. As a American it is my concern if I so choose, it is my God given right.

Get over it.

You get over it!

You married a butcher who refuses promotions.....stop whining that others have it better and about your jealousy skewed perception that they somehow owe more.

I married a Butcher that works his a** off to make ends meet to support his family. Why don't you read the post I made before this one it explains the circumstances quite well that led to his refusal of a promotion. I married a man who unlike some feels it is his responsability to help those less fortunate. I married a man you could never live up to, not even if you lived to be thousand years old- he has the respect to not cuss at people he does not know on a internet forum where others views are just as important as yours. Did I ask that you personally to pay me more, No because you yourself said you are far from rich.

So why don't you stop crying about how someone else feels that the rich need to pay more taxes and stop pissing and moaning at me and go buck off.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.