Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem. when I moved, my sheets didn't come with me. DOH! I am over flowing with cans of refried beans, spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, and more. I want to dehydrate them (saves space and has a much longer shelf life). What is best to use to make my own sheets? Stopping at Bi-mart they are always out of the sheets, and when I asked for them at my local walmart they looked at me like I was from mars.... So, rather then spend $8.00 for 2 online, I thought I could try making my own. I thought of wax paper, but am worried about all the melting wax.. I thought of parchment paper, but I don't have any. (it's over an hour to drive to town.) I thought of tin foil, but I am worried about air flow blockage and the foil raising the heat too much. Any ideas?

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
I use parchment paper cut to fit. I have a Nesco so they're round and the parchment works good for them. I know people who have the Excaliburs and they are square so with those you can use either parchment paper or a heavy duty ziplock bag cut open to widen it.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Here's the problem. when I moved, my sheets didn't come with me. DOH! I am over flowing with cans of refried beans, spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, and more. I want to dehydrate them (saves space and has a much longer shelf life). What is best to use to make my own sheets? Stopping at Bi-mart they are always out of the sheets, and when I asked for them at my local walmart they looked at me like I was from mars.... So, rather then spend $8.00 for 2 online, I thought I could try making my own. I thought of wax paper, but am worried about all the melting wax.. I thought of parchment paper, but I don't have any. (it's over an hour to drive to town.) I thought of tin foil, but I am worried about air flow blockage and the foil raising the heat too much. Any ideas?
They have plenty at the walmarts near me on clearance for $2 for 2. I don't know if they can transfer them (probably not) but it would not hurt trying.

·
Mom of 2 Soldiers
533 Posts
Before I got my excal. I made a round one for my nesco by cutting one of those plastic cutting mats that you use instead of a chopping board...it worked perfectly.

If I were you and didn't wanna go to town, I would cut up some freezer baggies and duct tape them on to my tray.

·
Accuracy is Final
509 Posts
I just use plastic wrap for my fruit rolls in my Excalibur. When done I just roll them up in the plastic and store them away. The same works for anything that would fall through your screens.

·
some strange Nordic man
1,103 Posts
They have plenty at the walmarts near me on clearance for $2 for 2. I don't know if they can transfer them (probably not) but it would not hurt trying.
They could when I worked in electronics. If they say otherwise, either the policies have changed or they're lazy. Furthermore, if I recall correctly you could buy stuff from Wal-Mart.com or whatever and it would be delivered to the store closest to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts