Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Havent been on here for a while for a variety of reasons but glad to be back. Any who... harvest time will be coming up and I plan on getting some soybeans and dent corn for long term storage. Before anyone asks I also will be getting wheat next summer. Reason why I would like to store soybeans and corn is simply the fact that I can get it from relatives for basically free. Now from all the research I have been able to do on the internet, soybeans can store up to a year or two because of the oils. This is keeping the beans around 15% moisture rate (the rate they come out of the field). If you get the moisture rate down to 3% you are looking at upwards of ten years of shelf life. So has anyone out there dehydrated soybeans down to 3% or used a food dehydrator to do this? It seems you obviously would have to do small batches in order to accomplish dehydrating them with a standard consumer dehydrator. I would be willing to take the time to do this for a hundred pounds or so of beans. My reasoning to possibly undertake this adventure is; 1 - the product is inexpensive or free; 2 - may be time consuming but I sadly (lol) have the free time; 3 - soybeans are very high in fat/protein which makes them an ideal emergency food.

Also more of side item... Corn... Any experience in storing this? 14% or so moisture content is typical out of the field. Since there isnt much fat, corn can store a much longer time then beans. I wouldn't see much of a reason to dehydrate the corn unless someone can offer me a reason to.

Many thanks for any input. Oh... I do want to add that this offers me and my family an inexpensive way to prep. However I do agree cutting corners is silly, which is why I am asking you all for suggestions.

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
dent corn is LTS packable if it's "silo" ready .... 14% is too high .... I think they get it down below 8% (???) ..... popcorn needs to be moisture reduced as it comes off the shelf also ....

I've read about using a gas clothes dryer on grain .... tumble and heat ..... would be a interesting experiment ....

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,165 Posts
You could rig up a large, temporary solar dehydrator out of some plastic film and dry them out in bulk that way. Otherwise, they would probably dry out over the winter on their own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts