Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share my recipe for dehydrated refried beans again. I have some pintos from 2014 I need to cycle through. At six years old they cooked up fine in 2.5 hours with a 8 hour soak in the fridge.
I started with 9 lbs of pintos. Cook the beans with NO salt until tender then drain them, saving the juice

The ingredients are:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup dehydrated jalapeño peppers
1/4 cup ground cumin
1/4 cup chili powder
3-4 small onions
1 bulb garlic

Sauté the onion and garlic until transparent with NO oil. Add the seasoning and mix well.

On this batch I used a meat grinder to smash the beans up. Can use a potato smasher or a cake mixer too.

Add enough bean juice back to make the beans spreadable. If you like some whole beans in your refried beans you can add them now. Load the dehydrator fruit roll up trays, about 4 cups per tray.

2 cups boiling water to 1 cup of dehydrated beans. Simmer about 3 minutes, turn heat off. Takes about 15 minutes to reconstitute.
These will be packed in meal size servings in quart mylar bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With a nesco 1040 dehydrator 15.5" trays, it took 12 trays with fruit roll sheets and 5 trays with smaller 13" fruit roll sheets (from another dehydrator) to do 9 lbs of beans.

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
That's a great recipe. I use about the same.
Sometimes I add dehydrated lean diced/shredded crock pot pork.

Reactions: Hammer 1

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ended up making 18 pounds of these this past weekend. Going to have to tweak the water ratio a little before we seal them up for storage. Not a bad weekend. Got the beans done, 18 pounds of chicken canned for $1.29 a lb. Had time to do the mowing maintenance and some plumbing at an apartment complex for $300 cash and killed a pig at the lake Sunday afternoon. Making 50 lbs of
East Texas Pittsburgh hot links next weekend.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,697 Posts
Didn't see it mentioned, but I assume you discarded the soak and early boil water, right?

That contains a lot of anti-nutrients.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean#Toxins

You soak and then bring it up to a boil for 15 minutes. Then you dump the soak water and refill for normal slow cooking.

Reactions: Hammer 1
1 - 7 of 7 Posts