Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time finding recipes for single serving meals that I can store in 1 quart Mylar bags. Kind of like the just and water mountain house meals. I know I can pack rice (what kind is best?) and pasta (angle hair best?), oatmeal mixes, and seasonings but really haven't found much else.

Would dehydrating my own chicken and ground beef be advisable? Don't want to get sick eating one in an emergency in 10 years!

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
I'm having a hard time finding recipes for single serving meals that I can store in 1 quart Mylar bags. Kind of like the just and water mountain house meals. I know I can pack rice (what kind is best?) and pasta (angle hair best?), oatmeal mixes, and seasonings but really haven't found much else.

Would dehydrating my own chicken and ground beef be advisable? Don't want to get sick eating one in an emergency in 10 years!
I can point you to some sites for making dry meals that fit in a mason jar. Just add water and cook. Not exactly a meal for one but still fairly small amounts. You can choose to either go with their quantity measurements or you can try to scale them to the size you want.

http://knowledgeweighsnothing.com/dry-pre-measured-complete-meals-in-jars-just-add-water-and-cook/

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/p/52-method-recipe.html

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
Zeke...
I don't have any FD meat just canned and home canned. Why are the Chef Tess recipes so adamant about using the FD meat within 24 hrs of opening the can and if making the recipes using FD meat, to use an O2 absorber?. What is so different with the meat as opposed to the veggies?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She says that you can keep them separate if you are using home canned meats. Just keep the meat in one canned jar and the rest of the food in another jar. That defeats the purpose for me. I want to keep everything in a one pouch container that I just need to add water to, or to a pan. Not because I don't have the room or the ability, I would just like the convenience and the ability to pack light. Trying to get 6 meals of jars in a couple of boxes or bags in a car in a hurry can lead to lots of broken and wasted food. Putting them in bags would make them more durable and hopefully easier to transport and store.

I like a lot of the ideas so I guess I'll have to be stocking up on freeze dried meats. I have enough, but not enough to waste on experiments yet.

·
Super Moderator
20,674 Posts
She says that you can keep them separate if you are using home canned meats. Just keep the meat in one canned jar and the rest of the food in another jar. That defeats the purpose for me. I want to keep everything in a one pouch container that I just need to add water to, or to a pan. Not because I don't have the room or the ability, I would just like the convenience and the ability to pack light. Trying to get 6 meals of jars in a couple of boxes or bags in a car in a hurry can lead to lots of broken and wasted food. Putting them in bags would make them more durable and hopefully easier to transport and store.

I like a lot of the ideas so I guess I'll have to be stocking up on freeze dried meats. I have enough, but not enough to waste on experiments yet.
yeah, they are good ideas. FD meat is so expensive though

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats why I was so curious about dehydrated cooked ground meats. With the oxygen absorber I feel like this would be a viable option but again, I don't want to poison myself.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Zeke...
I don't have any FD meat just canned and home canned. Why are the Chef Tess recipes so adamant about using the FD meat within 24 hrs of opening the can and if making the recipes using FD meat, to use an O2 absorber?. What is so different with the meat as opposed to the veggies?
Well you should always use the O2A when you make these dry jar meal kits.

As for using the meat after it is opened I'd say 24 hours is pretty extreme unless you are in extreme wet conditions.

You should have a lot longer to use it. The Ready Store mentions a couple years of shelf life if kept cool and dry once opened. Put the plastic lid back on and place in a cool cabinet. Toss is some desiccant packs if your area is humid. I save all those desiccant packs from my script med bottles and vitamin jars. Just slow bake them dry and keep in a ziploc. Then when you open your #10 cans toss a handful in and put the plastic snap lid on.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Thanks Zeke. I didn't know of any reason the meat should be different than anything else....it was just how adamant she was about using it in 24 hrs
It might just be CYA on her part. Convincing her readers to overkill on safety has no downside for her personally.

Reactions: kokosmom2
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.