Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am smoking a ham today, but forgot to take it out last night and find myself with 20 pounds of solid frozen goodness.

I would like to get it on the smoker sometime this year, does anyone have any good tricks for getting this thing defrosted to a point where it is safe to put on a slow cook smoker?

I have been smoking meat for several decades but have never found myself in this predicament. I have committed dumbassery for sure.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, if you are in the Cumming, Ga. area and want to partake in some pulled pork then PM me.

Thanks,
Cool Hand

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any time we have a frozen turkey or ham, we just put it in a cool water bath and change out the water every 20 minutes or so, or keep it under cool running water. But geez, with 20 pounds, I don't even think you'd get it thawed today doing that. But you might want to try it until someone else here comes up with something better. Good Luck. Pulled pork sounds yummy.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's my last piece of pork from the recent slaughter. As soon as I get this done and the temp cools a bit I get to do another one.

·
Green Eggs and Spam
5,071 Posts
I am smoking a ham today, but forgot to take it out last night and find myself with 20 pounds of solid frozen goodness...
I don't know, never tried it personally. However, I have two ideas.

I'd try putting in a pot with a small amount of continually running cool water; if possible with the cool water plumbed into the bottom of the pot. I just think this would be faster then letting it sit for periods of time.

If water were not available, consider putting the meat on something like a sheet of aluminum with plenty of air flow. Rotate the piece so the meat defrosts evenly.

Let us know what you try and how it works out!

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
In a vessel with lukewarm (i.e., 100 degree F) water, when it cools off, replace. This will require some attention, and likely take a few hours.

Reactions: Cool Hand

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This ham is so big, I may in fact have to cut it up. On the hunt for a cooler I can soak it in.

Either way, gonna be an interesting day!

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Hey, I'd like to build a workshop out of this single 2"X4" but that aint gonna happen either. Some things just never change like thermal dynamics and cooking chemistry. You won't be smoking that ham today and probably not tomorrow either.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I'd try putting in a pot with a small amount of continually running cool water; if possible with the cool water plumbed into the bottom of the pot. I just think this would be faster then letting it sit for periods of time.
That is what I do with defrosting turkeys. You want that running water to create a convection going.

Option 2:
I used to use in the past. Fill the tub with water, wait a while then change the water.

But the small stream of running water seems to work better.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thermal dynamics eh? The ham is up to 160 already. The smell off of that thing is bringing the neighbors in like zombies.

A cooler and tepid water defrosted it before noon. I will provide pics when I can. Thanks for the help guys.

Sundays in the south are awesome!!!! Roasted corn, a brisket, pork loin, a whole curry chicken and garden potatoes with a pone of mouth watering corn bread, and garden beans with a fresh slice of onion.

Sucks being a yankee....lol

Happy Sunday everyone.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Thermal dynamics eh? The ham is up to 160 already. The smell off of that thing is bringing the neighbors in like zombies.

A cooler and tepid water defrosted it before noon. I will provide pics when I can. Thanks for the help guys.

Sundays in the south are awesome!!!! Roasted corn, a brisket, pork loin, a whole curry chicken and garden potatoes with a pone of mouth watering corn bread, and garden beans with a fresh slice of onion.

Sucks being a yankee....lol

Happy Sunday everyone.
You're a lying dog! You will have to send me a slice or two to prove that you are telling the truth!:D:

Good luck and I'm happy to be proven wrong this time!:thumb:

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are just wrong.

Why send a slice or two when I can send a pound or two......

My god this thing turned out better than I could have imagined. More to follow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts