Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a soldier (U.S. Army) and infantry NCO for several years in my younger days. When I started out in the 1980's during the Cold War our basic gear was basically Vietnam-era kit- LBE (load bearing equipment), the 'steel pot' helmet that traced it's roots back to WW2, the lumpy 'flack jacket', and the M17 protective mask. In the early 2000's I retired, after a year in Afghanistan. At that time we were transitioning from the 1990's gear improvements into the IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) with Molle attachments. Of course we were issued LBE- that never saw light, remaining in my duffel bag for the year in-country. Currently I have a plate carrier with a loadout that can hold 6 mags, ten 12 guage shells, 2 pistol mags, a canteen, a compass and map, and an IFAK. I also have an LBE set up that has 2 canteens, butt pack, 6 mags, pistol with mags, FAK, field knife (KBar), and navigation gear (compass, map, pencil).

In/around the property the plate carrier works for me. If I were to need to travel while kitted and armed (e.g.- zombie apocalypse), the LBE would probably be my choice.

What is your go-to for load out?

What Infantryman Gear should Civilians Own? - YouTube

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Hey Bruce, where were you stationed in the 80's? My brother was MOS 19D in Frieberg, Germany in the early 80's. Had many a fun story about his deployment. His platoon was the real deal; some dead weight but several a**-kickers also.

RE: your question, you're a level-of-magnitude above most people already. I'm not military (1970 4F :sick:) but wanted to shout out anyway. Best.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a couple plate carriers. Shellback and eagle ind as well as a slick carrier for under my chest rig if I need to wear armor which I have level 3 and 4 composite but im not big on armor for most instances. Post event in a static position or in a car yeah im about armor but for most uses I lean strongly to the light recon ideology. Chest rig, battle belt and 3 day pack. Or a assault pack if the tacticool terminology is better. I prefer to be lighter and more mobile. Im sure others will disagree. I prefer to NOT get in a fight. Travel light and travel at night if I can. I have night optics abilities which I think of as a precaution for moving at night NOT for the ninja warfighter room clearing activity so many seem to think will be the norm..

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a Tactical Tailor chest rig with suspenders to my battle belt. I also have several plate carriers but my main is a slim Chase Tactical with level 3+ scorpion hybrid ceramic plates and another battle belt. Dump pouch, IFAK, several tacos for rifle mags and pistol mags, some glow sticks, issue cleaning kit, fighting knife and some other stuff.

I run a PGD high cut helmet, still working on some nods. I have other NV's though.

·
Happy to be here!
5,862 Posts
I watched the video. 6 liters of water, 7-14 days of food, 7 magazines, more in the pack, rifle, ect, and then his partner mentions staying in shape at the end....LOL. All that stuff they're talking about is for younger men. I won't be packing a load out like that very far at all. At this stage of my life (52 years old), I'm good for one really vicious fight that doesn't involve much running and jumping. Probably need a day or three to recover from that if I make it out in one piece. I do own all the combat goodies he mentioned, but my days of effectively using it are waning. For example, I own a plate carrier, but loaded with clay covered ceramic plates & 210 rounds, I can literally feel my spine being compressed and injury awaiting. So I removed the rear plate to help. Probably another few years and the front plate will have to go too. A few years after that I'll be down to 120 rounds and very little dynamic movement...if any.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Bruce, where were you stationed in the 80's? My brother was MOS 19D in Frieberg, Germany in the early 80's. Had many a fun story about his deployment. His platoon was the real deal; some dead weight but several a**-kickers also.

RE: your question, you're a level-of-magnitude above most people already. I'm not military (1970 4F :sick:) but wanted to shout out anyway. Best.
Hey Jack. I was stationed in Crailsheim, W. Germany, Fort Carson, CO, and back to Bamberg, W. Germany the ‘80’s. Good times- never realized how good when we were there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a couple plate carriers. Shellback and eagle ind as well as a slick carrier for under my chest rig if I need to wear armor which I have level 3 and 4 composite but im not big on armor for most instances. Post event in a static position or in a car yeah im about armor but for most uses I lean strongly to the light recon ideology. Chest rig, battle belt and 3 day pack. Or a assault pack if the tacticool terminology is better. I prefer to be lighter and more mobile. Im sure others will disagree. I prefer to NOT get in a fight. Travel light and travel at night if I can. I have night optics abilities which I think of as a precaution for moving at night NOT for the ninja warfighter room clearing activity so many seem to think will be the norm..
Hi ‘nut. I hear ya’. Its best to avoid the fight, especially solo. Rambo and John Wick are in the movies. Reality is unforgiving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Tactical Tailor chest rig with suspenders to my battle belt. I also have several plate carriers but my main is a slim Chase Tactical with level 3+ scorpion hybrid ceramic plates and another battle belt. Dump pouch, IFAK, several tacos for rifle mags and pistol mags, some glow sticks, issue cleaning kit, fighting knife and some other stuff.

I run a PGD high cut helmet, still working on some nods. I have other NV's though.
Hi John. I have a steel pot and a first gen. K pot. Not sure I would use them outside of static defense. No NODS here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I watched the video. 6 liters of water, 7-14 days of food, 7 magazines, more in the pack, rifle, ect, and then his partner mentions staying in shape at the end....LOL. All that stuff they're talking about is for younger men. I won't be packing a load out like that very far at all. At this stage of my life (52 years old), I'm good for one really vicious fight that doesn't involve much running and jumping. Probably need a day or three to recover from that if I make it out in one piece. I do own all the combat goodies he mentioned, but my days of effectively using it are waning. For example, I own a plate carrier, but loaded with clay covered ceramic plates & 210 rounds, I can literally feel my spine being compressed and injury awaiting. So I removed the rear plate to help. Probably another few years and the front plate will have to go too. A few years after that I'll be down to 120 rounds and very little dynamic movement...if any.
Hi Will. I hear ya’. I’m 57 in two weeks, and still in decent shape. But no where near like in my teens and 20’s- and especially not like these two. I remember humping all my battle rattle, plus ammo, plus demo, plus CLS bag, plus…. back in the day. Reality dictates traveling light, rather than shedding gear (or worse).

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Uh...where do you want me to start? 🤣

I am a fulltime firearms instructor for a very large agency, and I also teach on the side. I have tons of gear from doing that over the years. I'm also part of a large, well-established group (well over 20 years, 40+ families), which has training and gear requirements, and a very well prepared BOL - depending on the role I may be filling there, I have different setups. I was an Instructor of Infantry Tactics in the early 90s, so I have stuff from that era as well. It's kind of a sickness 🤣

If I had to distill it down to my most commonly used setups, it would be:

1. Static security, vehicle ops, or CQB:
  • SKD PIG plate carrier with API-BZ plates and sideplates, with Hoplite shoulder plates - 4x rifle mags in front (potentially 3 more on my support side cumberbund); 2 radio pouches; 1x smoke grenade; GP pouch with spare batteries and booboo kit; 3l Source water bladder; 2x MAST antennas; 3x flexcuffs
  • Team Wendy Ballistic or Ops Core FAST SF helmet (both helmets setup identically - Princeton Tec Charge PRO, Manta strobe, M-Ax mount with Scout 3v IR/white light, remote battery pack/counterweight for NVGs, Contour cam mount, Ops Core Amp headset, tied into dual downleads, dual ptts, and whatever radios we are running - Disco32 Discus bridging one downlead and ptt)
  • NVGs (if needed) - TNVC Sentinels
  • Battle belt - Lead Devil inner/outer belt; 3x pistol mags; 1x rifle mag; Modlite OKW handheld light; dump pouch; Dark Angel Medical Dark Lite IFAK, Leatherman MUT; fixed blade knife; handgun in Safariland ALS holster (holster is on a Black Box Tactical NCP, attached to a True North MHA via Safariland QLS, and has an 11-10 tq holder with SWATT-W tq in it, on the front).

2. Reconnaissance:
  • Battle belt (as above- potentially minus the handgun and handgun mags)
  • Mayflower R&D Pusher VI chest rig - 4x rifle mags; IFAK; radios; camo face paint; navigation items (gps/map/compass/protractor/pens)
  • Ops Core Amps (headband) with downleads/ptts
  • Assault pack (SORD Hydration Helmet Carrier) - Spare batteries, 3l Source bladder, Life Straw; poncho; 3x or 6x spare rifle mags; smoke grenade x2; NVGs; Crye Nightcap; snacks
That is clipped onto a 3-day pack:
*Mystery Ranch SATL- varies too much for a solid list, but more water, a couple stripped MREs; potentially cameras; optics for observation; bivy bag; spare socks; spare tshirt; snivel gear; etc

3. Precision Overwatch:
  • Tyr Tactical COMA Sniper rig - 3x spare OBR mags; Kestrel; Vectronix PLRF10 lrf: navigation items; Source 3l bladder; Life Straw; fixed blade knife
  • "Precision" Assault Pack - also a SORD HHC Hide site tools (pruning shears; sand bags; trowel; white and black cheese cloth; thumb tacks; folding saw; paracord; contractor trash bags; folding etool; hair bands/ranger bands; mylar blankets; 10x10 camo net on the outside)
Crye Compact Assault Ghillie
Stripped MRE
NVGs and Crye Nightcap
Spare batteries
Thermal monocular
Sketch Pad
This is clipped to a 3-day Pack
* like my recon 3-day pack, with the addition of shooter's sand bag, spotting scope, tripod, potentially a ghillie suit or Viper hood

I own old school 782 lbe, and several other bits and pieces. The above is just what I currently gravitate towards, depending on role.

Of course, I could go all the way down to a Roland Special or Staccato P in a Phlster Enigma and gym shorts/tank top/flip flops, if that was what was called for. Options.

·
Always Loaded
3,153 Posts
My load out is not much. I prefer simple. Carrier with lever IV's, 6 mags, carbine, side arm with 3 mags, CAT, Streamlight, Leatherman. Depending on the situatuon, this may be swapped for my long gun, 2 mags, 50 rounds, drag bag, and a pistol. Hauling a 13 lb rifle and precision shooting prone while wearing a chest rig is neither pleasant nor productive.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did I miss something? Are we going somewhere? No matter what, I carry a Camelback with knife, flashlight, radio and compass. Sidearm on my hip, one or two speedloaders. Boonie hat for summer, woolie hat and gloves for winter.

Ham sandwich in my side pocket, toothbrush, toothpaste in my other side pocket.

This is my loadout for anything from a hike to deployment to hurricane Sandy.

Anything else in a domestic (CONUS) setting is over the top, and/or can be stowed in the third row of my Durango.

That's about it.

·
Registered
Depends
373 Posts
Im 63 my bug out plan for the ZA is my 17ft trailer. I usually have a Range bag with thousands of 22s. in it and then from there I usually have lots of either 223s or 300bo lying around and my 30 cal suppressor works on both so I would take what I currently had the most ammo although the 300bo would be my first choice. I have one gun case thats setup for my 22 Henry Lever my MP-22 with threaded barrel my Ruger Mark2 and my Threaded Ruger Mark4 and with my 22 suppressor on the mark 4 it is hollywierd quiet. Then my 30-06 with suppressor It has enough scope adjustment for well over a mile. And of course my 9mm single stack pocket Rocket. After that the question would be should I add any of these guns. First my GP100 357 I have had it for a life time and put so many rounds through it I just dont miss with it out too 100yards and get 50% hits an a 2/3 plate at 200yds but it is loud. I have a Ruger ranch rifle in 300bo with the can on it shooting sub ammo it is yet again hollywierd quiet. There is a couple other possibilitys but the interesting choice would be my Mac10 in 9mm I am talking a Mac with a tax stamp and it is suppressed also. It would be a no brainier but it shoots from the open bolt position and is not very accurate at all in simiauto. The problem is it can chew up ammo fast.
As for my everyday hiking rifle it is my 223 AR 16 inch barrel suppressed 10 round mag and accurate out past 1000 yards. With a box of ammo in the pack.
NDR

·
Registered
900 Posts
My load out is not much. I prefer simple. Carrier with lever IV's, 6 mags, carbine, side arm with 3 mags, CAT, Streamlight, Leatherman. Depending on the situatuon, this may be swapped for my long gun, 2 mags, 50 rounds, drag bag, and a pistol. Hauling a 13 lb rifle and precision shooting prone while wearing a chest rig is neither pleasant nor productive.
I had this exact thought in mind while putting mine together. It's all slim, no double mag pouches or thick gear in the front, only single tacos or pouches that keep me low to the ground and comfortable in prone.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I was a soldier (U.S. Army) and infantry NCO for several years in my younger days. When I started out in the 1980's during the Cold War our basic gear was basically Vietnam-era kit- LBE (load bearing equipment), the 'steel pot' helmet that traced it's roots back to WW2, the lumpy 'flack jacket', and the M17 protective mask. In the early 2000's I retired, after a year in Afghanistan. At that time we were transitioning from the 1990's gear improvements into the IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) with Molle attachments. Of course we were issued LBE- that never saw light, remaining in my duffel bag for the year in-country. Currently I have a plate carrier with a loadout that can hold 6 mags, ten 12 guage shells, 2 pistol mag
Bruce,

I'm scribbling from the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia, North of your Fort Eustis and South of your Vint Hill Farms former commo station now a Cold War Museum on western outskirts of metro D.C. swamp.

Above is to plot me on the map and see that I sacrifice my commercial 3A armor for non-inflatable floation vests needed for many situations and seasons.

There's a basic emergency management protocol to "go to safety and not away from danger". The philosophy is that these a rapidly changing situations.

During major or just large emergencies private citizens will not be using firearms. This place is already a garrison camp of pre-selected active duty military and responders.

My protective mask is a ILC S-cape model 30, allowing for talking and driving truck while wearing.

All else about the same less no longer can use soaken wet maps in Army map cases. There are better products than the Army sponges used to keep maps dry in theory. I am intimately familiar: arty recon, RVN.

·
Forum Administrator
7,258 Posts
I might reply to this thread later this weekend, I'm 53 and still in good shape but I'm not carrying what I carried in Kosovo , Afghanistan or Iraq 20 years ago. Some food , WATER and Ammo.
I am with this...
The OP is a little vague from my point of view.
We are not in Afghanistan or Iraq. Our needs and mission would be different, or are they?

I have different load outs. A serious assault on my home has a much different protocol than if a nuke went off over Minot Air Base. Yes, I have plans and contingencies for both. And to be honest, they are easily accessible.

Everything is mission dependent. Give me a scenario and I will tell you what my gear is.

·
Registered
12,284 Posts
I am with this...
The OP is a little vague from my point of view.
We are not in Afghanistan or Iraq. Our needs and mission would be different, or are they?

I have different load outs. A serious assault on my home has a much different protocol than if a nuke went off over Minot Air Base. Yes, I have plans and contingencies for both. And to be honest, they are easily accessible.

Everything is mission dependent. Give me a scenario and I will tell you what my gear is.
I concur, there's been a lot of very interesting 🤔 ? Of late from a lot of very interesting folks. And it might not be the ? Persay but the how and why. And I could be wrong but most seem to be single focused on one thread and or one area.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts