Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you have made preps for the defense of your BOL not including firearms?

How is your BOL going to be defended?

Understand that if you live in a state with one of the larger militias like Colorado or Michigan, in a true SHTF situation one of these groups just might want to set up their own little feifdom. Before I continue this is NOT saying that one of these groups WILL do something like that ... but it is a concern.

That therefore means that you may have to deal with a varied, asynchronous attack from a well organized, well armed group.

And therein lies the problem.

A cave is the most easily to defend ... unless your assailants have any kind of gas weapons available which would smoke you out.

If you're in some kind of natural alcove then you have fire to worry about or you have to consider that they'll take the ground above you.

What are the weak points to defending your BOL?

Now, how can you fool an attacker into trying to attack you that way?

As an example, if you're in a cave you could rig up any number of traps covering well outside the mouth. If someone attacks you, you set off the traps, and they go permanently "bye-bye."

So again, how will you defend your BOL? (and saying with your firearms is cheating, assume someone better armed than you expecting that kind of response)

·
Berserker Blood
253 Posts
Planters of concrete or stacked stone filled with earth, barbed wire rolls, ditches I can block off to fill up with water, planting of certain types of bushes, cacti, etc,

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I am reading a book right now called "Standing Your Ground" that deals with different defense situations.

I did get it at Amazon.com.

You might want to look into it.

·
Scruffy-Looking
160 Posts
The best way to increase the defense of your BOL is to increase the number of people defending it.

YMMV,
Chad
Seems like solid advice to me; not that I claim to have any real expertise.

I guess another basic idea would be to make it seem like you had greater numbers than you do... as a deterrent perhaps, when your group has smaller numbers. Not sure if that would be feasible though.

But really, making it seem like you have nothing of interest might be even better... and not being discovered at all by certain groups would be even better yet, obviously.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think you are going to have a problem with getting detailed answers here. Many ways are against the law and to talk about them might land you on a list you don't want to be on. I have several options, but one of my main plans involves modified caltrops.

Caves might be alright, but imo, not ideal. I would be very concerned about ricochets. Maybe I have read too many westerns where they talk about this. Also, what about if they block you in or wait you out? That cave could become a tomb.

I agree with the poster who said that more people would be better. I think having the high ground is also advantageous. Knowing the approaches your enemy would take and how to best defeat them would also be important. Ideally I would want a tunnel to a hidden entrance for escape if you are overrun. It would be difficult and might not even be plausible in many cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts