Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Curious Cat
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning to relocate and shopping for property on the internet. I have most of my criteria pretty well thought out with one exception. Defensive capability. I am so ignorant on this topic that I’m not even sure what search terms to use to research it. I want to be able to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of a piece of property. It’s just going to be a few old ladies (think Golden Girls) and some dogs living on the property. Can you point me to a website, book, or discussion thread that will get me going on my education? Thanks much.
VW

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think I know what you're asking, so I'll try to help what I can. From what I've read there are a few main points.

1. Stay hidden, don't get property in sight of a major roadway or river. The surest defense against looters is for them not to know you're there in the first place.

2. Have neighbors, or at least dogs to keep alert when you're occupied working or sleeping.

3. Property layout. This is really a matter of personal preference I'd think. Some people would use a large fence around their property, others would focus on having good visibility as to prevent someone sneaking around, and others still would prefer an island, or a place in the middle of the desert which would be difficult to reach.

Unfortunately, my last hard drive died on me, and with it I lost all my bookmarks so I can't link you anywhere good.

·
Curious Cat
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I know what you're asking, so I'll try to help what I can. From what I've read there are a few main points.

1. Stay hidden, don't get property in sight of a major roadway or river. The surest defense against looters is for them not to know you're there in the first place.

2. Have neighbors, or at least dogs to keep alert when you're occupied working or sleeping.

3. Property layout. This is really a matter of personal preference I'd think. Some people would use a large fence around their property, others would focus on having good visibility as to prevent someone sneaking around, and others still would prefer an island, or a place in the middle of the desert which would be difficult to reach.

Unfortunately, my last hard drive died on me, and with it I lost all my bookmarks so I can't link you anywhere good.
Good suggestions. Thanks. I’ve seen references on this board to funneling intruders or somehow controlling the way they move around. Is there a term for this?
VW

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Funneling intruders is often used by the military to control and direct movement of intruders or hostiles into heavily defended or, check point area.
This can be done by placing wire entanglments or thick heavy plants such as lantana, or other types of thorn bushes in areas of what is called "dead ground".
Dead ground is where there is a hollow, depression, guly, creek or stream bed which cannot be observed very well or at all.
It is also a good way to defend your area if your active defenses are thinly stretched due limited human resource numbers or defensive weapons.

·
Curious Cat
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funneling intruders is often used by the military to control and direct movement of intruders or hostiles into heavily defended or, check point area.
This can be done by placing wire entanglments or thick heavy plants such as lantana, or other types of thorn bushes in areas of what is called "dead ground".
Dead ground is where there is a hollow, depression, guly, creek or stream bed which cannot be observed very well or at all.
It is also a good way to defend your area if your active defenses are thinly stretched due limited human resource numbers or defensive weapons.
Thanks for the info. Tell me, is there an overall term for these military techniques?
VW

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Defile, fatal funnel, water hazard, 9th green

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
VW,
I think there is but can't remember what it was or is called now.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Its important to evaluate where your enemy might come from. As you look at your perspective properties try to look at it as if you were going to attack it..........
Even with your limited skill if you just take the time and look you will see how you would try to attack it. then plan accordingly. My self i would look for some high ground outlook
that overlooks my Immediate retreat area. The worst would be to stuck in middle of a flat area with no observation points its better if you know whats coming.............
There so much to this that its hard to some it up in afew words.
Probably your mindset will be your best asset try too cultivate the protected at all costs thinking and i think you;ll do fine...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts