Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, im new to the forum and just wanted to intro myself. My names beau im 18 and since i cant carry a handgun, i personally carry a defender 1. I love it, easyily concealable and very easy to handle. any opinons on the weapon.

·
Live Clean, Fight dirty
1,377 Posts
What is a Defender? I this a brand name of something, is there other weapons similar by a different name?

Are you skilled with the weapon, have you used it before?

For people like myself a little more detail about the weapon would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Probably the Mossberg pistol grip defender. Very very practical until you get your concealed carry.

·
Your jujitsu is no good
177 Posts
I think he's talking about that plastic tool looking thing. (pdws.biz) I have never seen one in person, but it looks like it might be fine for a little girle girl (jk). I would just stick with a good pocket knife and if I have to pull it on someone I want the option to be able to put an end to life. It looks like that would take a while and be pretty messy with the defender.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its what lugnut is refering too haha. yeah i carried a fixed blade but campus security told me that it was illegal to bring on campus with me so i went in search for something legal. i actually like it alot. ive had about 40 hrs training time with and have no complaints yet.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Eh, if its the plastic gizmo, get thee to a real martial art training. Don't rely on that. It looks very nice for a compliance tool, digging and twisting someone who needs a bit of persuasion. But useless if a guy were to jump out of a thick brush and drag you back down for some fun and games. Unless perhaps you were to have it in your hands every time you leave your room.

Just thinking of hours in fight training, I'm probably pushing 3000 hours or so. Some less effective, some more effective.

·
Live Clean, Fight dirty
1,377 Posts
its what lugnut is refering too haha. yeah i carried a fixed blade but campus security told me that it was illegal to bring on campus with me so i went in search for something legal. i actually like it alot. ive had about 40 hrs training time with and have no complaints yet.
Still do not quite understand what it is, but none the less is doesn't matter.

I don't believe you need to carry a fixed blade around to use as self defense, but there are many folding blade pocket knives which are perfect and concealable. I carry a Gerber 450, which has a 3.5" inch blade. Perfect pocket knife, it has clip on the outside and slips right on to my pocket. No one really ever notices I have it.

I would also suggest some self defense training if you can afford it. You can defend your self just as easy without a knife, or tool as you can with it. My knife is a last resort when it comes to self defense, for two reasons you have to be able to prove your life was in jeopardy, and if you hall off and just stab some one,rite off the bat, you will probably go to jail. The other reason being if I happen to lose the weapon because I am losing the fight, I don't want to be injured or killed with my own weapon.

Couple suggestion to ponder over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont take self defense specific classes but take boxing and muaythai classes at my local mma gym. the defender isnt for face to face conflict, i carry it in case some one grabs me from behind or suprises me. Im 18 and i leave campus(in a bad part of town) at night very frequently. anything to keep me at peace haha. pdws.biz is where you can find the defender line though if your still not clear on what it is. It is the eqivalent to a kabuton or other handheld selfdefense device. belive me i know that no weapon is a ssubstitute for hand o hand combat knowledge it a just in case thing for me.

·
Your jujitsu is no good
177 Posts
IMHO I don't think the defender is going to do much for you. If I were you I would look for a good stick class and pick up a good walking stick. You can beat the tar out of someone with just a good walking stick. There are many other options out there, I say try them all.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Might be easier to carry a big rock, stick, flare, tazer or stun gun, Mace, pepper spray? Or just get a CCW and get a NAA revolver to stash away....

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
Hey, im new to the forum and just wanted to intro myself. My names beau im 18 and since i cant carry a handgun, i personally carry a defender 1. I love it, easyily concealable and very easy to handle. any opinons on the weapon.
Please don't be this guy http://www.anjingbanfa.com/DefenderClipFlash.html

I love weapons, gizmos and tools as much as the next guy. However, to me this seems impractical. What if you can't reach it in time, this doesnt look like an item that would come out easy? What if you get disarmed!? People become dependant in their minds with the "tool" and when that tool is gone, they freeze and panic. Don't become dependant on the "tool". It looks very gimmicky to me and this video made me laugh.

If you want something get a good old steel kubaton and put it your keys on it. I love and carry retractable steel batons. but it is a last resort not my first.

stick to what works. the boxing and muay thai classes that you are taking are a great start! most people that attack you will be more worried about a guy who takes a good fighting stance than a guy reaching for a yellow piece of plastic.

be safe.

·
pseudo-conformist
831 Posts
That was a funny clip! :D:

Speedyturtle, never seen one of them before but if it works for you good luck :thumb:
Personally I'd go with free hands before that, or a decent size flash-light/walking stick, even a simple can of coke in a plastic bag gives you more distance from an attacker.
Like I said though, if it works for you thats cool.

·
Live Clean, Fight dirty
1,377 Posts
Please don't be this guy http://www.anjingbanfa.com/DefenderClipFlash.html

I love weapons, gizmos and tools as much as the next guy. However, to me this seems impractical. What if you can't reach it in time, this doesnt look like an item that would come out easy? What if you get disarmed!? People become dependant in their minds with the "tool" and when that tool is gone, they freeze and panic. Don't become dependant on the "tool". It looks very gimmicky to me and this video made me laugh.

If you want something get a good old steel kubaton and put it your keys on it. I love and carry retractable steel batons. but it is a last resort not my first.

stick to what works. the boxing and muay thai classes that you are taking are a great start! most people that attack you will be more worried about a guy who takes a good fighting stance than a guy reaching for a yellow piece of plastic.

be safe.

Finally I get to see what this thing looks like. Thanks Big Jay. Although in the video the guy made the weapon look effective, it seemed to me it would take quite a bit of training with it before it could be.

Personal opinion, but as stated by Big Jay, better off sticking with the boxing and the muay thai.

When all else fails and you can't escape or win bring the weapon out.

·
Live Clean, Fight dirty
1,377 Posts
i dont take self defense specific classes but take boxing and muaythai classes at my local mma gym.

Just practicing.

the defender isnt for face to face conflict, i carry it in case some one grabs me from behind or suprises me.

Want to see if this works.

Im 18 and i leave campus(in a bad part of town) at night very frequently.

This just a test.:D:

·
Registered
108 Posts
ahahahha what a hunk of crap it looks like some one carved a ruler ahhaahha. get your self a small hunk of tree attack a steel ball to it and wrap it up with tape son. ye old mace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay heres my situation, no concealed weapon for at least 2 1/2 yrs so thats out. what would you recommend for a younger guy who wears jeans and t-shirts to carry that everyone isnt going to see, that will help him if he is attacked by more than one guy. becasue campus is a dangerous place at night. I like the defender but want the option to do more damage with a legal weapon if nessacary. an btw a pocket nife takes longer to get out than the defender, i carry it in my back pocket, under a second to deploy.

·
Christian
39,501 Posts
Well being that I am a 6th Dan <poser> opaque belt in both <poser> Cha-ching-pow and the deadliest performance musical martial arts <poser> called Tu-ning, I can attest to the effectiveness <poser> and the lethality of the florescent lime green "Defender" I never go ANYWHER without mine.

Now I know most of you fear my kung fooy <poser>but I am simply here to SPREAD my <poser> vast knowledge <poser> of how to kill someone without even touching them.

But for you underlings and sallies out there the non-lethal advantage of a swift but accurate "defender" blow to the bad guys neither regions <poser> will have the chicks swarming all over you like bee's to honey. mmmmmhhhmmmm honey........... The You Tube accolades should get you some serious attention in the "just walking down the street" scenario situation as well. buy one today!

Reactions: trophytr669

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
okay heres my situation, no concealed weapon for at least 2 1/2 yrs so thats out. what would you recommend for a younger guy who wears jeans and t-shirts to carry that everyone isnt going to see, that will help him if he is attacked by more than one guy. becasue campus is a dangerous place at night. I like the defender but want the option to do more damage with a legal weapon if nessacary. an btw a pocket nife takes longer to get out than the defender, i carry it in my back pocket, under a second to deploy.
Stop with the gimmicks and learn how to strike fast and effectively. Boxing and mauy thai the best for direct stand up.

A kuboton would work better than this plastic piece of crap.

You keep asking the same question. We have answered you, you just don't seem to like what you are reading.

·
Banned
1,927 Posts
As ive said in other threads my masterlock padlock tied to a bandana causes a person to think twice about tryin to attack again.After you smack them in the grape they dont wanna feel that pain again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts