Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice 9 point and tukey highlander. I looked at those pics and figured you were in Texas then I looked and saw that your just up the road in McKinney. Looks like you shot the turkey with a rifle? If so, what caliber? I've shot many with a .270, but I'm gonna try a .223 this fall if I get a chance. Best of luck!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It shot it with a 30-06. I was aiming at the base of the the neck, but he was walking in line with several others. That is actually the exit hole showing. Lost some of the breast meat and a leg. Took a hen last year with a 7.62x39. Since my buck season is over, I will be bringing my .223 the rest of the year. I still have 3 anterless tags and we have a late season for spikes and anterless.

·
To arms to arms
44 Posts
8 pointer this past sunday.Weighed 154 field dressed.4 1/2 year old.Shot with a .270 at 140 yards.One shot straight to the heart.Fell where it stood. Had to take him he was not a good buck.The rack was to small for his age. Don't want those genes going any further.He scored a total of 119 1/2 B&C.
Which suprised me i would of given him a total of 112 to 115.

Deer hunting Deer White-tailed deer Hunting Recreation

Deer White-tailed deer Wildlife Deer hunting Terrestrial animal

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
This was shot last Friday. Not by me, but by my hunting partner. I encountered his twin brother an hour earlier. We faced each other at a distance of about 25 feet. He was bedded with a doe, in a small depression and we took each other by surprise. By the time I chambered a round and swung on target, he had taken off and all I had was an ass shot. Obviously I didn't take it.

My buddy was luckier an hour later. After crawling about 600 yards through a field to come within 100 yards, this buck got up and thinking he was being challenged started advancing on my friend. He sat up and put 338 load in his lungs that (we think) exited through his spine and dropped him where he stood.

Attachments

·
Liberty or Death
986 Posts
It shot it with a 30-06. I was aiming at the base of the the neck, but he was walking in line with several others. That is actually the exit hole showing. Lost some of the breast meat and a leg. Took a hen last year with a 7.62x39. Since my buck season is over, I will be bringing my .223 the rest of the year. I still have 3 anterless tags and we have a late season for spikes and anterless.
Why didnt you use a shotgun for the turkey?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Why didnt you use a shotgun for the turkey?
The 30-06 is all I had in the stand with me. My feeders are about 128 yards away--too far for a shotty. Usually, I just hit em in the base of the neck, but this one was walking toward my right in line with several gobblers. I forgot to lead it slightly and he caught it in the top of the right breast. The round turned and exited its right leg. Saved most of the meat though.

Since I have my limit in buck tags for the county, when I go out again this weekend with my son, I am bringing my bushmaster .223. It does less damage if I miss the base of the neck.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
By the time I chambered a round and swung on target,
Umm, is that a western thing or something? Being out hunting and not having a round in the chamber? Honest question because the second I walk out my door I have one in the chamber. You never know when you will see one.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Bad luck this year, but we filled 3 out of 4 tags. It would have been nice to shoot one myself, but it's meat in the freezer. My neighbors uncle ended his 5 year dry spell by getting 2 of them. His brother got the other.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice deer Highlander I have been hunting hard but only have one deer to show for it I put the pics on this site. I had two hunters come in on me Saturday they should have not been on my land, had to deal with that then had a big doe come within 40 yards but I hit my rifle on the box blind while turning in my desk chair I know my buddies have been giving me hell about it. But I kill most of my deer late season and I’m off until Monday plus I got the whole week of Christmas off so I'll post some pics but I meat hunt so they may be pics of does!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.