Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SKS gunner
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be hunting public land alone this year and i don't have a truck. I was wondering if any of you have any ideas as to how i would get a deer home after i shot it? I would rather not just drape a bloody deer carcass across the hood of my car and drive it through town for all to see. I was thinking of getting one of those Hitch mounted cargo carriers and putting it in that, covering it with a tarp and doing it that way.
http://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-cargo-carrier.htm
I Have the hitch mount on my car that it will slide into and the weight limit is 500 pounds so i think that it will work. Any thoughts on if this is a good idea or if there is a easier way(besides buying a truck) that i could do it? Do any of you hunt and use cars to get your game home? Also does anyone make a "deer rack" that was specially made for this type of thing?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I will be hunting public land alone this year and i don't have a truck. I was wondering if any of you have any ideas as to how i would get a deer home after i shot it? I would rather not just drape a bloody deer carcass across the hood of my car and drive it through town for all to see. I was thinking of getting one of those Hitch mounted cargo carriers and putting it in that, covering it with a tarp and doing it that way.
http://www.discountramps.com/hitch-mounted-cargo-carrier.htm
I Have the hitch mount on my car that it will slide into and the weight limit is 500 pounds so i think that it will work. Any thoughts on if this is a good idea or if there is a easier way(besides buying a truck) that i could do it? Do any of you hunt and use cars to get your game home? Also does anyone make a "deer rack" that was specially made for this type of thing?
Since ya have a hitch, what about a lite trailer?

·
Registered
262 Posts
i haven't thought of that. But i can get the luggage carrier for 55 bucks at wally world. so cost wise its the winner.
Kinda awkward getting a deer up there, a trailer would be useful for other things as well since ya don't have a truck.

oops,I thought you ment roof mount

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
You could also put a large ice chest in the trunk and after cleaning the deer, cut it into quarters then stick it in the ice chest. It would take a lot more work than the tarp in the trunk but it's another option.

·
Registered
68 Posts
put in the trunk just put plastic tarp down first. I've been told not to strap to hood as the heat from motor may spoil meat on a long drive. also may not be legal to do so by D M V if ya can't see over it good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a similar problem. don't know what your driving, me I have an Acura RSX, a two door coup!
I was thinking, theoretically, I could lower the back seat, effectively making a flat cargo area out of the back of my car. Wrap the carcass up good and tight in some kind of tarp. tie it to secure it in the back some how; don't want 100+ pounds of meat sliding around all over the place. Two really big problems however; blood, as it will be field dressed, will be splattering everywhere, regardless of tarp, and fleas or ticks the damn thing is likely carrying.

This is only an emergency scenario. In other words, next season i intend to hit the field in a local state park many a weekend, for practice purposes--- target practice with my bow, scout out some good trails and spots, and go after small game like squirrel, (if you can hit that, you got it made). If planning on actaully taking a deer, I would solicit a buddy (but my friends really aren't hunters :() or borrow family member's truck. However, if I am out there shooting stumps, and some deer is foolish enough to make its presencse known to me, there's nothing to lose by attempting to stalk or still hunt it. On the off chance I actually bag the thing (I know, pretty fat chance) I'd have to call my dad with his truck on my cell, or else improvise.

In any case, an alternative for serious hunt is to hire an outfitter. One in my area is like 250 bucks a day for bow, 300 for firearm. they generally help with everything that needs to be done after the shot, from tracking to dressing to hauling the damn thing.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I skin and cut mine up in the woods that way no mess at home. Is this your first hunt for whitetail you need to know where the musk glands on the hind legs are and cut the legs off above them or the meat will be dog food. Also do not split the stomach and rupture the intestine same result nasty meat.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Oh and two milk crates and a piece of plywood slid into the trunk and you could tie the deer down on that watch the blood.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
OT OT

OKAY the button says EDIT/DELETE, but there is no "delete" option. How do I delete an entry?

Allan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts