Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: Found what I'm trying to do here: http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=155774 .

Hey guys, I have no experience with deep wells at all and I recently purchased a property that has a deep well about 50 yards from the house. I know you can buy hand pumps that fit on the well cap itself but since it is so far away, any ideas on what I can do in the house if the power goes out?

Can I put a T fitting somewhere in the line with a hand pump or is the run too long at 50 yards? I don't mind pumping for several minutes if I have to but don't want it to be measured in hours.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
How deep is your well? The deepest hand pump I found is 300ft. We did a cistern in the house. Even if the solar goes down it will last a while before we have to go out and pump.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Didn't see that one. It doesn't have a lot of info though. I saw a post somewhere, not sure if it was this site or another, where the person mounted a small handpump on a utility sink installed next his pressure tank and other well equipment and connected it with a T fitting. I'm just not sure on what line to install the T fitting or if it will cause any problems with pressure, etc. I was hoping someone familiar with well systems could provide some assistance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How deep is your well? The deepest hand pump I found is 300ft. We did a cistern in the house. Even if the solar goes down it will last a while before we have to go out and pump.
Not sure how deep it is, I'll have to call the county and find out. I want to use the existing lines and just be able to pump drinking water indefinitely without having to go outside if the power goes out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only way too know for sure is to bite the bullet and hook one up and see if it works .
luckyfasteddie,

That's a pretty expensive project to just "bite the bullet" on! I prefer to plan and see if anyone else more knowledgeable than me on wells has any advice beforehand. Not only is the handpump itself expensive, but if I start cutting up my well system and cut the wrong thing, it will be very very expensive to fix and I'll be without water. Better to plan as much as possible.

·
Ghost
104 Posts
Look up a company that digs well and see if they have any advice to give about it, the worst thing they can tell you is no they won't give you any advice. Good luck!

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
If you have a shallow well of less than 25 ft you might get a surface pump to work. Though many manual designs (pitcher pump) are the same as the deeper types and have a lift rod. To go deeper requires a pump that has a lift rod (sucker rod) that runs down the well casing into the water. A example of this is at this website. They are good to 350ft but you have to be standing over the well head to pump.

Surface pumps that do not have the mechanism of pumping at the level of where they are pumping from (bottom of well), require you to have prime. This means there can be no air in the suction line. This limits their depth pumping ability.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Deep water hand well pumps have a mechanical link to the water. There is a pipe within the well casing and it has a sucker rod and valve in it. You cant bend it through a "T" and make it come out anywhere else other than straight up. You would have to move the house over the well or drill a well in the house. Neither option would I recommend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Matt, Pangea,

Thanks for the good info. Looks like I'm not going to be pumping water from the comfort of my own home. Not a big deal, it was just a preferable option to leaving the house to get water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts