Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disinfecting incoming mail of Coronavirus

OK, we all know about the Coronavirus. Looks to be hyper-contagious.

I'm prepped, of course. I could quarantine the place for months. Plenty of water/food/fuel/sanitary supplies in stock.

But it occurs to me that the virus could be carried inside my perimeter by the mail.

First of all, handle it initially with disposable gloves. 95% is junk mail, can be burned immediately. But some of it must be opened and read. What to do? Dunk it in a vat of alcohol or Listerine? Bleach? Hydrogen peroxide? Bake it? (What temp would kill the virus?)

A fun thought experiment if you have nothing better to do.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
. But some of it must be opened and read. What to do? .
Wait.

Put your bills on auto pay/online pay.

Financial statements can either wait or (if you plan on buying/selling there's online options.)

if your going so far as to wait without at home:
What else is time sensative?

Sometimes I go over a month without stopping by my PO box.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
`

Ah, no, someone in the other thread said it's not possible to transmit it through mail or packages. :rolleyes: So you better delete the tread before you get accused of being a fear monger. :eek: :taped:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...o-bacteria-and-viruses-live-outside-the-body/

http://www.virology.ws/2009/04/29/influenza-virus-transmission/
I was looking up this mail and virus issue earlier. What I found was that very little research has been done in this area.

However one study showed that H1N1 and H3N2 strains of seasonal flu virus survived on Swiss banknotes for 3 days and increased to up to 17 days when children's snot was added.

https://aem.asm.org/content/74/10/3002

I know banknotes aren't quite the same as mail but it seems similar enough to make me see it as at least possible that a virus could survive in/on it.

·
Banned
14,722 Posts
I'm not particularly concerned, and I'm speculating. But perhaps get an old cheap microwave, and put it outside the house in a covered porch, shed, etc. You could microwave the mail, banknotes, etc. and "cook" it long enough...

Will cooking kill this virus? I have no idea. But can much survive 5 minutes in a microwave? Maybe or maybe not...

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
I'm not particularly concerned, and I'm speculating. But perhaps get an old cheap microwave, and put it outside the house in a covered porch, shed, etc. You could microwave the mail, banknotes, etc. and "cook" it long enough...

Will cooking kill this virus? I have no idea. But can much survive 5 minutes in a microwave? Maybe or maybe not...
Conclusion was no because the frequency of the microwave (im paraphrasing) cannot speak to that conclusions validity, but it made sense.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out that baking it at 250F. for half an hour will do the job. :thumb:

Not only no, but he11 no, to online banking, which I trust about as far as I can throw a Buick, one-handed.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

Not only no, but he11 no, to online banking, which I trust about as far as I can throw a Buick, one-handed.
That's still not really necessary.

Just wash your hands after handling and don't touch your face before you wash. Normal precautions are all that is required.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget that some of that mail is paperwork that has to be retained in a file. e.g. bills, tax documents, SS benefit statements......

Then (for some folks) there might be 3-year-old grand-daughter's crayon artwork, which better be stuck to the refrigerator in case they come to visit two years hence. (Assuming we all survive, of course.)

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
`

Not all mail is just paper envelopes either. There are packages, I've also gotten some junk mail that looks like a plastic post card, or also postcard type stuff with a smooth photo like surface. Different surfaces hold viruses, bacteria, germs better than others. Also some stuff in your mail wouldn't be able to survive being baked & nuked, not to mention if their is any metal in a package or envelope, even staples could cause a problem.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Metal can't be nuked, but it can be baked.

If it were me, I wouldn't be ordering anything that would come in a package, if the need to quarantine arose. Except maybe books, which could be baked.

·
Banned
843 Posts
I would be more worried about that piece of electronics, parts you ordered to hold all the collective downloaded knowledge of the ancients . Anything you order from China right now could be infected. Not mention lesser in quality due to the scare.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts

Dude this is a situation where you must get with the times.

I bank with USAA online and have for over 10 years. No major issues yet.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 209 Posts