Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to make a decision here so I thought I would ask for other opinions.

So here's the deal. I have three AR's and one M1A (scout). I also have an older varmint type Remington 700 .308 with a newer HS Precision stock. Unfortunately it's not an effective rifle right now as it needs to have some stock fitting, screws cut down and other various things of that nature done. That and it has a somewhat short barrel.

AR #1 is a newer M4 style.
AR #2 is an original Colt HBAR Competition Sporter. Deadly accurate when scoped. Eventually I'll get an M4 style upper for it.
AR #3 has a custom built National Match barrel and free float tube. I have NEVER fired a single round through it. Right now I have my Nightforce scope mounted on it. It sure does look purdy!

That's all nice but it only leaves me with the M1A for a heavier caliber. So what I am thinking is selling off AR #3. I never shot it and the Colt will do basically the same thing. With the money I'll buy a new .308 bolt turner rifle and mount the Nightforce on that. Savage has some good stuff out now. That way I would have a much more effective .308 setup.

Yes, I know that there are better long range calibers out there but I really don't want to have to stock all the stuff to go with one.

So, what would you do?

Thanks, BnB

·
Wilddieb
2,249 Posts
Fix the Remington 700.

Bedding and cutting down the screws should not cost you more than 70 bucks at a local gun smith.

Define short barrel? A 20" barrel is fine for the .308, OK during night you have muzzle signature.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fix the Remington 700.

Bedding and cutting down the screws should not cost you more than 70 bucks at a local gun smith.

Define short barrel? A 20" barrel is fine for the .308, OK during night you have muzzle signature.
Yes, that's one option. But I don't pay for gunsmithing unless I have to. I do my own but I just don't have the time right now to deal with it. Perhaps this winter.

Thanx for the reply.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Brownells usually sells diy bedding kits and assortment packs of gun screws of all sizes. Check their catalog if you're really into doing it your self.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brownells usually sells diy bedding kits and assortment packs of gun screws of all sizes. Check their catalog if you're really into doing it your self.
It's a pillar bedded stock so no need to glass it.

sell me #3 cheap.

I'll give it a good home and it won't be neglected.
If your in eastern Washington then it can be arranged. I've been known to hang out around the Lewiston, Id. area. But it won't be 'cheap'!

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
So what I am thinking is selling off AR #3. I never shot it and the Colt will do basically the same thing. With the money I'll buy a new .308 bolt turner rifle and mount the Nightforce on that. Savage has some good stuff out now. That way I would have a much more effective .308 setup.

Yes, I know that there are better long range calibers out there but I really don't want to have to stock all the stuff to go with one.

So, what would you do?

Thanks, BnB
i would forget the turn bolt, thats like watching paint dry and invest in a new Armalite. :cool:

this> http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...n+308+Win.+w20"+Stainless+Match+BarrelNationa
or this> http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+308+Win.+w20"+Double+Lapped+Chrome+Lined+Bar

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
can't really compare the Armalite to an M1A but if you insist on watching paint dry :D:........personaly, i like to try diffirent things and since i allready like CZ firearms, this would be the turn bolt for me to get> http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_63_971/products_id/23034
Now that's purdy! That's kind of what I'm looking for but it's not in the budget unless I sell the AR. And of course, I don't know diddly about a CZ. Perhaps I should do some research on the matter.

·
just me and mine
645 Posts
What about a Howa model 1500 BBL chambered in .308.... 10 inch group at 850 without being able to check wind between rifle and target..... Will run you around $700 without optics or bi-pod. Stick a McMillan A-5 or an HS Precision on it (if you don't like the Thumb-hole stock it comes with), and your good to go.

But I am slightly bias....

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about a Howa model 1500 BBL chambered in .308.... 10 inch group at 850 without being able to check wind between rifle and target..... Will run you around $700 without optics or bi-pod. Stick a McMillan A-5 or an HS Precision on it (if you don't like the Thumb-hole stock it comes with), and your good to go.

But I am slightly bias....
Now I like THAT price.:thumb: The Savage I was looking at the other day was just shy of a $1000. The .338 Lapua was just shy of $2000. But with the Lapua I would have to stock yet another caliber.

·
just me and mine
645 Posts
Now I like THAT price.:thumb: The Savage I was looking at the other day was just shy of a $1000. The .338 Lapua was just shy of $2000. But with the Lapua I would have to stock yet another caliber.
Yupyup, I would love to have either of those, but ya know, as long as it is functional and you can hit what your aiming at, then that's all that matters.

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I agree. But now I've been looking at the Remington for the past three hours and I'm thinking that I may have to get on that. I just have to finish fitting the bottom metal and cut down the stock screws.

·
just me and mine
645 Posts
Yes, I agree. But now I've been looking at the Remington for the past three hours and I'm thinking that I may have to get on that. I just have to finish fitting the bottom metal and cut down the stock screws.
Once it's done, I want to shoot it! Never shot a rifle with an HS or McMillan stock ... Shot a Choate on a 22-250 once, wasn't really impressed... didn't feel very comfortable, but that's just my opinion...

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Sell a gun? What does this term mean? I have never sold a gun so this is foreign to me.:D:

Save some money to buy the NEXT gun. Don't sell anything if you can help it. The .308 will do just about anything that you want out to 1000+ yards depending on your skills and the ammo you feed it, as you already know. I can't see past about 200 yards from my house and the 500+ yard shot is rare around here. WROL situations around here would be under 200 yards and hunting is about the same.

Do you see yourself needing a 1000+ yard weapon? If so the choices are as big as your bank account. Good luck, and please tell us what you get, with pictures!

·
just me and mine
645 Posts
I can't see past about 200 yards from my house and the 500+ yard shot is rare around here. WROL situations around here would be under 200 yards and hunting is about the same.

Do you see yourself needing a 1000+ yard weapon? If so the choices are as big as your bank account. Good luck, and please tell us what you get, with pictures!
I grew up in Maryland, and your definitely right, 200yrds is the norm, and if you can see 500yrds it's because someone cut a property line!

Around here though, we can get shots up to 2000yrds+ in some spots, and 1000yrds is no problem at all, so having a 50cal would be nice, but a 308, 338L, 340, etc is more of an option...cheaper to feed!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,521 Posts
I'm a big fan of Savage bolt actions, but I think I'd just finish the Remington. It's a fine gun and it sounds like you will have an awesome setup when it's done. And you own it already.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts