Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here but I have don't a lot of reading on the Katadyn Pocket.

I have found new ones for $275 but does anyone know if anyone has a better price anywhere? After making a 3-Day pack my fun money budget is a bit low for this item :(

I'd appreciate any leads......thanks!!!!

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I found one at shopgoodwill.com for about $25, and a Big Berkey for around $180, and a ton of other stuff as well. It's just like the real stores, where you have to check them all the time to find the really good deals.

The sporting goods area, and the miscellaneous area, and military collectibles, plus the kitchen gadgets. All these areas were very useful for finding low cost prep items.

Good luck.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Not to dis your choice but there are better and far cheaper alternatives.

Spend some time reading all the posts in this section on water filters before putting that type of money down on just one tool.

If you want different alternatives listed in this thread I'm sure others and I can put up quite an extensive list of our favorites.

But if that is truly what you want then that's about what you'll pay for a new one.

Reactions: MikeK

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have the pocket filter and think it is worth the $ as clean water is the most needed thing. The pocket filter is expensive, bulky, and a little heavy (solid); but what if your BOB becomes all you have left really. Your water filter could be your most valuable possession. Don't bet your life on a cheapy. I had to save up for it. $285. is about the best you can do.
I guess the day may come when most people filter it through a bandana and boil it.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I agree with Congasan. Its heavy and takes some space in your pack but it works very well. Bought one over a decade ago and I love it. In my opinion it is worth the price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I will keep an eye out on eBay and shopgoodwill but may have to break down and get one for the $275 I found it for.

I want it because it is very rugged and filters a ton of water very cheaply.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had one in my wishlist at amazon for a few months now. Price wise, it's still a bit out of reach (I've bought a lot of crap recently lol). Best price I've seen is $250 and it seems to reach that every 4-6 weeks for about a week.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Not to dis your choice but there are better and far cheaper alternatives.
I have to agree with stephpd that filtering technology is finally catching up with our old friend the Pocket Filter. It has been over 40 years reign though with little change. The one measure though that no one can argue though is durability... My uncle is still using his white model from 1980 and still functions like new.

So if that is your measure then 275$ is about as good as you are going to get. Just be sure to research the company you are ordering from. Saving a few bucks is not worth dealing with a less-than-reputable company.

Also be aware that you may be getting a "Blue" model at that price and not the newer black ones. Pretty much the same except for the addition of a pre-filter is all. But check to see which model you are getting.

·
That Guy
35 Posts
I own one and love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything, but check this thing out. Sawyer® Complete 4L Water Purifier System it claims to do a million bizllion gallons. I have one on order now.:thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have bought two out of the REI store in Seattle. they have a discount section for items that have been returned but still in good condition. both of them were in like new shape. got them for less half price. I am now living in florida so havent been to an REI for a few years. but if you happen to live near one you might want to inquire. The first katadayne that I bought was also in the early 80's. That is still my personal use one. the wife has the newer one. tubes are still in good shape. I thought I would have to have replaced them by now but still good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I did live near an REI but unfortunately Nebraska doesn't have a lot of the really cool retailers. If it isn't Cabelas or Scheels we don't have it :)

I'm probably going to watch Amazon for awhile and see what happens or just order it from the other place for $275. I have a dealer account with them and know it is a new Black model and they are trustworthy.

I'm more concerned with durability than being lighter and if I'm really concerned about it only being a .2 micron filter I can always throw in a MicroPur tablet.

·
silenced
3,002 Posts
I own one and love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything, but check this thing out. Sawyer® Complete 4L Water Purifier System it claims to do a million bizllion gallons. I have one on order now.:thumb:
sawyer looks awesome, and has some great numbers, but their down fall in my eyes is not filtering out environmental contaminants like pesticides, petrochemicals, voc, heavy metals, and things alike. i even called the company and asked directly and they said no it doesnt work for that stuff.

now saying that, i will most likely get a sawyer .02 as a prefilter for my berkey or my home built system(when i get it finished)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. I will keep an eye out on eBay and shopgoodwill but may have to break down and get one for the $275 I found it for.

I want it because it is very rugged and filters a ton of water very cheaply.
You will appreciate the way this filter is built once you use it for the first time.
And yes, it will go for a long time, 13,000 gallons I think.

Bought mine 2 years ago and love it.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
sawyer looks awesome, and has some great numbers, but their down fall in my eyes is not filtering out environmental contaminants like pesticides, petrochemicals, voc, heavy metals, and things alike. i even called the company and asked directly and they said no it doesnt work for that stuff.

now saying that, i will most likely get a sawyer .02 as a prefilter for my berkey or my home built system(when i get it finished)
Numbers always look great but I never judge something on numbers alone. So many people do this with firearm ballistics that do not translate well in actual use.

I like the Sawyer and I like the Pocket filter. But neither gets rid of all pesticides and chemicals lilke that. That is why they have activated charcoal "Add ons" for these units. The only self contained filter unit I know of that does pesticides and chemicals is the First Need filter.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts

Just get a separate charcoal post filter. It's these that really limit how long a ceramic candle will work. I can't remember the name of the company that makes these just for portable water filtration. (found it. Same company---Katadyn)
http://www.google.com/search?q=Carb...&ei=86QUTpa5LYbJgQfi4pj-BA&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QrQQ

I got ones off of amazon that are used in reverse osmosis. You can also make one out of some PVC pipe, caps and granular activated carbon from the pet store in the aquarium section.;)

Thing is, GAC can be back washed and extend it's useful life. We do it at work, it's a layer on top of the sand filter.
http://www.techneau.org/fileadmin/files/Publications/Publications/Deliverables/D5.3.10.pdf
http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/water/publ...imer Files/07 - Granular Activated Carbon.pdf

It's just that most of these systems don't provide for back washing. Even the ceramic candles would benefit from back washing over scrubbing off a layer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My pocket filter came with the pre filter and charcoal filter.

I paid about $260 two years ago. It came as a complete set with carry bag and bottle. I love it. This thing is solid as a rock I keep it in my truck pack and have used it many times. They should pay me for pulling it out and demonstrating it to my friends. We hunt, camp and fish all the time and compete with each other on our gear. This is a filter to be proud of.
My tent on the other hand is good for a laugh every time I set it up. I would buy anouther but heck the guys would miss it. Our camp site would never be the same. I think it came from a garage sale 10+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Katadyn's price increase

A word of warning about katadyn pricing. The manufacturer in Switzerland recently raised their prices on the Pocket and other ceramic filters. If you are used to seeing the price fluctuate and think you will see prices like they used to be, you might be disappointed. In fact, after getting a big shipment of Pockets before the price rise, I kept my list price at $319 which was the msrp at the time I bought them. When my back orders came up, I was informed that they wouldn't sell to me until I raised my price to $349. They allow promotions up to 14 days, which is what I am running right now. I've got mine on sale for 279.96 (correction, I originally posted $179.96) until the middle of next week. If you can find it for less, scoop it up. But read the fine print. I find many deals are too good to be true. You may have to wait indefinitely for the distributor to get an order from Katadyn.
A lot of distributors have stopped carrying Pockets or tell you that the item will be shipped in 6-8 weeks.

·
Forewarned is Forearmed
949 Posts
Before you buy that take a look at the First Need XL Water Filter. Campmor has them for $89. Really a good filter. Check it out. I have been looking at the Katadyn for a long time and could never justify the price. My .02 cents

1 - 20 of 22 Posts