Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What role does it play in SHTF? Deception is used regularly in many areas ranging from camo to deceive the eye, to center peel maneuvers to give the appearance of greater force strength, to hidden food/ammo/weapon caches. So what other roles does it play in SHTF?

For example, hanging police line tape and tagging the front of your BIL with a variant of the FEMA X-Code listing dead bodies and something nasty in the East quadrant like cholera to dissuade any uninvited visitors from coming too close. Or perhaps if having to make a postured stand to give the appearance of greater strength of arms, to utilize realistic airsoft guns to give the impression that you have 7-8 ARs instead of 1-2.

So what role does deception play?

·
Registered
869 Posts
The role it plays it protection for you and your loved ones.
Whether that crosses the line enough to be a problem with your boss is something only you can answer. :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
For example, hanging police line tape and tagging the front of your BIL with a variant of the FEMA X-Code listing dead bodies and something nasty in the East quadrant like cholera to dissuade any uninvited visitors from coming too close. Or perhaps if having to make a postured stand to give the appearance of greater strength of arms, to utilize realistic airsoft guns to give the impression that you have 7-8 ARs instead of 1-2.

So what role does deception play?
or simply make the whole area seem abandoned. if there is nothing there no one will bother.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
What role will deception play? Just like in Poker:

Sometimes you want your opponent to believe you have something you don't, and sometimes you want your opponent to believe you don't have something you do.

Reactions: bert the turtle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes decpetion is not even necessary. I once contracted crab lice after a particulalary vigorous game of strip tee-ball with the local all male chess club. Looking back now, the rules seemed a little unfair, as we were required to remove an article of clothing every time we were up to bat, and I was the only person on my team. They told me it was for charity, although there was nobody in the stands and the field lights weren't on. The lack of adequate lighting was probably also the reason EVERYONE kept accidently bumping into me. But I digress... anyway, I contracted crab lice and made sure not to tell a single person, however by the next morning, the entire town of Muleshoe avoided me like the plague! So my point is this, rather than lieing about having cholera, and risk being found out, why not intentionally contract some less deadly disease (I would advice against scurvey, as it is not near as pleasant as it sounds) and people will instinctively avoid you anyway.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I train and teach a particular martial art and at the very core of its ideals is the practice of deception. This is not just in a 1 on 1 fight scenario, but also practiced in everyday life. You should read the book "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. It's a very old text that references deception as a tactical advantage. For instance; if you knew you were going to get into a physical confrontation (whether hand-to-hand or a situation requiring a firearm), the last thing you want to do is to let your opponent know that you have some skill in those areas. Doing this causes your opponent to either keep his guard down or think of you as a minimal threat. This would give you an advantage once things kicked off.

I highly recommend learning the art of deception. It's how our foreign operatives maintain their cover, and it could very well come in handy during certain situations.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your thoughts, Pastor?
Some prepping issues are no brainers to me and pose no moral issues at all. Storing, canning, knowing the topography between here and our BOL. No moral issues.

Other issues pose increasing moral consideration. Hiding what we have stored, choosing to include or exclude people, denying the months of food/ammo/etc when directly asked.

Issues in the future like in my OP pose ever increasing challenges to what we will do to survive. I have no doubt deception, right or wrong, will be required to survive.

So what forms of deception are you pre-planning for when things go south?

·
Registered
802 Posts
A little off topic, but my buddy can't keep people off his land - especially during hunting season. The "No Trespassing" signs are coming down and the "Caution! Live Fire Range!" Signs are going up.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Sometimes decpetion is not even necessary. I once contracted crab lice after a particulalary vigorous game of strip tee-ball with the local all male chess club. Looking back now, the rules seemed a little unfair, as we were required to remove an article of clothing every time we were up to bat, and I was the only person on my team. They told me it was for charity, although there was nobody in the stands and the field lights weren't on. The lack of adequate lighting was probably also the reason EVERYONE kept accidently bumping into me. But I digress... anyway, I contracted crab lice and made sure not to tell a single person, however by the next morning, the entire town of Muleshoe avoided me like the plague! So my point is this, rather than lieing about having cholera, and risk being found out, why not intentionally contract some less deadly disease (I would advice against scurvey, as it is not near as pleasant as it sounds) and people will instinctively avoid you anyway.
LOL, I actually worked on the Muleshoe unit 1 and 2.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Watched the movie "Red" this past weekend. Not a bad movie, entertaining. Anyway, John Malkovic's character was very paranoid, lived in the swamps in Louisiana. He had a house that he did not live in. It was for show only. Walks over to an old "57 Chevy, laying on the ground no tires or wheels, raises the hood and there are steps going down to his bunker. I thought that was pretty cool. Also created a "Hmmmm" moment.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Watched the movie "Red" this past weekend. Not a bad movie, entertaining. Anyway, John Malkovic's character was very paranoid, lived in the swamps in Louisiana. He had a house that he did not live in. It was for show only. Walks over to an old "57 Chevy, laying on the ground no tires or wheels, raises the hood and there are steps going down to his bunker. I thought that was pretty cool. Also created a "Hmmmm" moment.
Sounds cool. I've never seen that movie, might have to check it out.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't believe in deception.....
Why not? Its used in wars all the time, and it's very effective. Even the success of D-day hinged partly on deception.

Then again, with a name like PYSOP Soldier, I'm thinking you definately believe in deception.

And to BJJ_Grappler - BJJ is largely based on deception... ever bait someone to give up their arm?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts