Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This article and the attached video can show you exactly how fast death can strike you. I think that one of the gang of killers gets wounded by his own fellows because nobody else had the time to draw a defensive firearm of their own. The guys that did this killing had their act together, used good tactics, hit hard, ran away as fast as they could and used reliable firearms to accomplish their heinous deed. What they did was horrible but it worked for their side...

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-monterrey7-2008dec07,0,5447755.story

23 seconds of the Mexican drug war
When four people in a Monterrey jewelry store were killed by gunmen who took nothing, few doubted that it was a message.
By Sam Quinones
December 7, 2008
Reporting from Monterrey, Mexico -- In the seconds before the gunmen burst into the tiny Lozano Garza jewelry store in this city's downtown, three shoppers browsed the display cases.

An unarmed security guard sat by the door.

* Complete series
Complete series
* Interactive: How the shooting unfolded
Interactive: How the shooting unfolded

Video: Fernando Rodriguez, victim of Mexico's drug war
Photos: Monterrey: After the attack

Then three men with assault rifles ran in, one after the other, the muzzles of their weapons ablaze.

By the time anyone reacted to the gunfire, it was too late. The four people collapsed in the barrage of bullets. One of the gunmen helped another, apparently wounded by a comrade, out of the store. Before the last killer fled, he fired final shots into a customer and the guard.

Twenty-three seconds after they came, the gunmen disappeared into the traffic of busy Francisco Madero Avenue, lined with hardware and lighting shops, taco vendors and newsstands. The page of a catalog on one case fluttered in the breeze.

MEXICO UNDER SIEGE

The number of people who have died in drug-related violence in Mexico since 2007.

» Full coverage
MULTIMEDIA
DISCUSSION
Name:
E-mail:
Comment:
The killers left the jewelry. Nor did they touch the cash register. They paid no heed to the three video cameras that recorded the entire scene.

Lying dead that afternoon of March 14, 2007, were an off-duty police commander and his wife, Benjamin Espinosa and Griselda Melendez, who apparently were shopping for a religious medallion in gratitude for a successful intestinal operation on their hospitalized infant daughter. Beyond them lay Ignacia Perez, a homemaker who lived on a former garbage dump and sold jewelry to neighbors, who paid her in weekly installments.

Sprawled near the entrance was Fernando Rodriguez, an unarmed security guard who took the $90-a-month job to save for his oldest daughter's 15th birthday celebration. He lived in terror that someone with a gun would come through that door.

A shattered peace

The victims' stories intersected in that jewelry store, but the slaughter recorded on the videotape that day looks to have been rooted in a nearby town that believed itself immune from Mexico's drug war. San Pedro Garza Garcia, southwest of Monterrey, backs up against the Sierra Madre Oriental, 15 miles and a world away from that jewelry store.

It is Latin America's wealthiest town and had long been considered one of its safest. For years, it has been the suburban escape for the industrial dynasties -- the Sada, Garza, Zambrano, Elizondo, Rivero and other families -- that manufactured steel, glass, beer and cement, and turned Monterrey into a global economic player.

Hundreds of sampetrinos, as residents are known, hold Dallas Cowboys season tickets. They shop at Maserati dealerships, and send their children to top-flight private schools. Many can navigate Houston and Aspen better than the barrios where Ignacia Perez, Fernando Rodriguez and police commander Benjamin Espinosa and his wife lived.

When Espinosa was hired as a San Pedro Garza Garcia patrol officer in 1995, it was one of the few good police jobs in Mexico. Officers there were paid about $1,000 a month.

Being a San Pedro police officer "was an honor," said Mauricio Fernandez Garza, San Pedro's mayor from 1989 to 1991. "There was a lot of recognition. They had better uniforms, of higher-quality fabric. There was a lot of training."

Fresh from two years of military service, Espinosa was aggressive and disciplined. Both his jaw and his crew cut were sharp. "He was a police officer 24 hours a day. He was very active," said Camilo Cantu, a former San Pedro chief of police.

Espinosa went to McAllen, Texas, every few months for training and target practice sponsored by U.S. law enforcement.

San Pedro police had a maximum response time of two minutes. That was possible because San Pedro never had much crime. Fernandez Garza remembers no homicides during his tenure, and in a town full of banks, only one bank robbery. No one could remember a San Pedro police officer being killed in the line of duty in those days.

The town elites kept a firm hand.

"When a daughter was marrying someone from outside," said Gilberto Marcos, a businessman and San Pedro community activist, "they'd check his bank accounts . . . to see if his money was made right. We used to look into who these people were, what family they came from. If they didn't check out, you wouldn't speak to them."

But by the late 1990s, San Pedro was being infiltrated by the world its residents had moved there to escape.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
There is no dignity in death. This further proves that in a society where guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have them.

One observation though, regardless of how brutal and quick this assault was, it was sloppy and amateurish. The first shooter entered firing and did not check his left corner. He continued to advance ahead of his fellow assailants. The assailant to enter second had **** poor weapon control and began his spray at the person on the left well before he bore his weapon on them thus hitting his "friend in the belly." At least he thougth enought ot grab the dropped weapon--at the expense of exposing his face.

This could not have been stopped unless the door was locked.

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also think that the attack wasn't perfect. I think that it was supposed to go with the lead guy going straight into the store, one guy to the left and one guy to the right. I think that's why there were 3 riflemen in the first place. Obviously the number two guy was startled by the security officer and fired off a shot that hit the lead guy. The key here is that we all need to think about the speed of the attack because if SHTF for real, many of us will be facing such high speed attacks. Think about that. You're at home, front door is open to get in some fresh air and all of a sudden.... WHAM!! It can happen no matter what we do BUT not if we know what to expect or plan against like this attack...

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
I also think that the attack wasn't perfect. I think that it was supposed to go with the lead guy going straight into the store, one guy to the left and one guy to the right. I think that's why there were 3 riflemen in the first place. Obviously the number two guy was startled by the security officer and fired off a shot that hit the lead guy. The key here is that we all need to think about the speed of the attack because if SHTF for real, many of us will be facing such high speed attacks. Think about that. You're at home, front door is open to get in some fresh air and all of a sudden.... WHAM!! It can happen no matter what we do BUT not if we know what to expect or plan against like this attack...
Three or four determined guys who know what they are doing and have the element of surprise can raise a lot of hell, even if one knows what to expect and has a plan for defense. You need a dedicated guard(s) on constant duty if you are really in this kind of environment.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Looks like the girl, (I think it was a girl) in white was innocent? I'm guessing the target was one of the guys that was hit, on eof the two around her. It's possible that simple association was enough to get her killed. Notice she was moving after the initail volley. The [email protected]$$tard shot her in the back. Not even decent enough for a head shot.... lower back......

·
watching for zombies
19 Posts
Son of a *****...those guys were planned...and still killed one of their own...serves them right...bas*****...hope they got caught..

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
things like that really **** me off. Hope the guy who was shot by his own gang dies a slow and painful death.
No, he got a bullet in the back of the head and an unmarked grave(that if he was liked by his superiors) for getting in the way of the bullets.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
If you havn't already, do a little test drill and see how long it takes you in any room of your house to get to a firearm and have it loaded and ready to go, in the dark!

This is something that i did a few weeks ago when someone was banging on my door like a mad man at 3 am. needless to say i didnt flip the switch to the lights so they wouldnt see me, and i couldnt find my handgun with the lights off, i have since made sure i can reach my firearm in the dark and upside down. lol

Oh and the banging on the door was a drunk friend who brought her girls over to play some after hours drinking games. Ended up being a great 3am knock on the door. lol:D::eek:::taped::D:

But anyways was a great wake up call to me, cause my adrenaline was going and didnt know what to think. (and no i would not have started shooting like an idiot):thumb:

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
That's not something you can prevent. The only way to survive that kind of scenario is to never put yourself in that situation but that's unrealistic.

What does that mean? It means it could happen to anyone. It's a lottery.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Three or four determined guys who know what they are doing and have the element of surprise can raise a lot of hell, even if one knows what to expect and has a plan for defense. You need a dedicated guard(s) on constant duty if you are really in this kind of environment.
The store had a dedicated guard. The only way this could have been prevented would be through a larger perimeter with acontrolled entry. Even then, blood would still have been shed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts