Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation. My brother lives adjacent to my parents property. They own about 130 acres and he has 10. I live about 25 miles away. However I am the one who uses the land for hiking and camping and hunting turkey and deer. I have planted several fruit trees and shown interest in preserving the land where he does not.

My mom and dad never allowed anyone to hunt fish or go on our property without one of us with them.

While my parents were in Florida over the winter my dumb a-- brother has been playing the "good guy" and letting anyone ride their 4 wheelers on the land. I told him I did not like this and if I am on the land hunting or camping and they come around I am going to be hot. And tell them to get the F off. Of course my brother lets it go in one ear and out the other. He is one of those block wall types that cant be reasoned with.

So now I have a dilemma. The only way I am going to keep people of the land is to totally go off on my brother or the people which I know he will hold a grudge about it. I told mom that I don't want my share of the land if they sale it because I don't want to have to deal with this kind of thing.

I have spoken to our parents about this and they don't like people riding atvs out there either but they now how unreasonable my brother is and don't to push it.

This just totally makes me mad anyone ever have to deal with this? I just want my share sold off and I will go buy my own land one day.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
If your parents won't do anything about it, there is nothing you can do... you will only damage relations and cause strife without achieving your objective - stopping the misuse of your parent's land...

·
Registered
165 Posts
You might check the laws in your area & see if they are the same as ours in ohio. I own the land ,my son gave a friend permission to 4 wheeler out back. Because I as the land owner did not get a release from the 4 wheeler owner , & i did not tell him to not ride here, I was held libel for the injurys he recieved when he wrecked his 4 wheeler. Even tho I was not at home when he wrecked & didn't know he would be here 4 wheeling. The court said that my son by giving permission was acting as my agent.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
If you parents are allowing their adult son to walk all over their wishes, then there's nothing you can really do about it. They could easily end this, themselves, by putting their foot down. But, it doesn't sound like that's going to occur. I think if I were you I'd just drop the whole subject and when the time comes around, either try to buy out your brother's half, or sell yours.

Also, if your brother holds a grudge because you put your foot down about your stance on this, oh well. You have a right to be upset, so do your folks and he's really being disrespectful, in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a mess. But it raises and interesting topic of landowner possessiveness. Maybe being from TX I feel pretty strongly about my land being MY land. I'm OK with others being on my property under certain circumstances but I get upset when the topic of mineral rights and trespass and easements comes up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats so bad about it is he told a neighbor that he could ride his 4 wheeler on my parents land. Now the neighbor has his inlaws, friends, and who know what other yahoo's are out there. The kicker is the neighbors family owns their own land but don't allow 4 wheeling. So now they use ours. I found out when I went out there about a month ago and there where 5 people buzzing around behind our parents house. I asked my brother WTF. In one ear out the other.

I am going to sit and wait on this one as much as I hate to. Turkey Huning season is coming up and I know that will ruin it hopefully it doesn't but if it does I am going to confront my brother in more of an influential manner. But at least I know what to expect from him if the land is divided. Even more worse my parents could be sued!!! I hate people that put everyone else above their own family.

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
I can see what you mean about RV's on the land.
I just spent some time up North (until I busted by wrist) on a friend's ranch.

He went out and purchased a quad--then proceeded to tear the crap out of a very beautiful ranch... I mean he tore the place to pieces. Now it looks like a motorcycle park. Ruts. Holes. Mud. Water in the holes and mosquitos.

What a dunce he is.
He wouldn't listen either.

ST

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Asking parents to pick sides in a family argument is like asking them which kid they love the best. This will not end well, unless you allow your parents to deal with what happens on their land in their own way (once they have the facts available to them, of course). In the mean time, I'd stick with planting fruit trees on your property if you want to keep them safe.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
over

Well my parent's confronted my brother and he totally agreed to make them stop. He did not realize that his new "friend" would take advantage of him like that and let so many people loose on our land. My brothers wife also spoke of her displeasure because there was no more peace and quiet. It still ****es me off that we stood there together watching all these people riding and him acting like its no big deal.

I am glad I did not go off and lose my cool. Just has me thinking of what a douche bag he is and I have lost some respect and trust in him. Hopefully I am not being to harsh but that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Glad things have worked out for you. It was good of you to watch their backs while your parents were gone. I'd be a little concerned about your brother's friend looking for a new place to ride, though, but it probably won't be a big deal unless somebody got all mad and needs a scapegoat and stuff and junk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.