Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how will you deal with beggars? We as a group have been thinking about this problem long and hard. We have decided that the way we are going to handle the situation is this. When and if someone comes begging our standard response will be we have very little and nothing to spare. This is what most people who are prepared have stated they would do. However what if someone comes begging who is truly deserving of some help. How do you help them without risking the lives of everyone in your group? Our solution is to create what we call "beggar caches". These caches will contain a few MRE's and stable food plus a few essential items like matches, Mylar blankets, life straw, first aid supplies, etc. They will be hidden a few miles from our location in a direction we will try to direct them. We will have several of these in varying sizes and contents according to the needs of the recipient.

The kicker to making this all work is a cover story of us not being the source of the cache, but someone else who came here and wanted to help us, but we haven't retrieved it yet. We will have slips of paper with the directions on how to find the cache and another one in the cache with a short note telling them who provided the items and a slight hint of more further away. All of this is just made up of course, but it is essential to direct them elsewhere, and it let's us know we helped in a way that doesn't violate our opsec.

What are your comments and suggestions on how we can improve on this?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
That's a rough one for me.
I'm not sure would be wise to help random beggars. They'll probably be back with a friend tomorrow, and the next day...
I used to think I wanted to set something aside for people like that but people here have told me that's a bad idea

·
Registered
21,234 Posts
how will you deal with beggars? We as a group have been thinking about this problem long and hard. We have decided that the way we are going to handle the situation is this. When and if someone comes begging our standard response will be we have very little and nothing to spare. This is what most people who are prepared have stated they would do. However what if someone comes begging who is truly deserving of some help. How do you help them without risking the lives of everyone in your group? Our solution is to create what we call "beggar caches". These caches will contain a few MRE's and stable food plus a few essential items like matches, Mylar blankets, life straw, first aid supplies, etc. They will be hidden a few miles from our location in a direction we will try to direct them. We will have several of these in varying sizes and contents according to the needs of the recipient.

The kicker to making this all work is a cover story of us not being the source of the cache, but someone else who came here and wanted to help us, but we haven't retrieved it yet. We will have slips of paper with the directions on how to find the cache and another one in the cache with a short note telling them who provided the items and a slight hint of more further away. All of this is just made up of course, but it is essential to direct them elsewhere, and it let's us know we helped in a way that doesn't violate our opsec.

What are your comments and suggestions on how we can improve on this?
Give it to whatever aid organisation is going at the time.

·
Retired thinker
7,337 Posts
We are overrun with beggars now here in FL. They are everywhere. Young able-bodied (brain???) people who are getting aggressive, even with the deluxe safety hammock we have. This is in good times. If you consider the welfare roles, the number of beggars would become an army of frenzied people demanding their rights if SHTF.

"Approximately 52.2 million (or 21.3 percent) people in the U.S. participated in major means-tested government assistance programs each month in 2012, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report released today. May 28, 2015"

Add to that number the "responsible people" who will also become impoverished and desperate and we are talking over half of the population of the US or more!

The beggars will clearly outnumber those who are somehow self-sufficient and most will not be asking for donations. They will take everything you have if you give them access, or even knowledge, to your stuff. Other than friends and family --- people you know and trust, I would not be talking to anybody let alone offering them food. Even the knowledge that you have food will be inviting death. Charity and survival may very well be mutually exclusive.

·
"Everbody has a plan . .&quot
2,187 Posts
So . . . what's plan B?
You guys HAVE a plan B, don't you?

And how do you deal with the one's who run dig up the cashe & then come back the next day, swearing on their children's souls they tried, but they just couldn't find it?
Or that someone else had gotten it first?
Since you can't ever know for sure if they're lying or not, what then? Does this elaborate plan simply get scrapped & the dregs who survived are told "Tough luck"???

Not saying your idea isn't a good one? At least you've thought about it, but I'm not sure you realize just how duplicitous our fellow humans are. . .

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Fried grasshoppers and earthworms. Wild plants. Roots. What we can scrap off the bottom of rocks. These, we will tell beggars in a Post Apocalyptic world, are what we are getting by one; they're welcome to share in the bounty. :D:

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
If they want food, they'll have to split and stack fire wood, weed the gardens, mend fences, etc. nothing's for free.

I'm not responsible for their poor planning, they are, so they'll have to settle for what I'm willing to offer.

They'll get fed well, then they'll be told to be on their way and to not come back, then theyll be given food and water for a couple days.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Florida always gets more 'beggers' in the winter. Most have mental/drug issues. They follow the interstates south when it starts getting cold. [For all I know, NY gives them bus tickets].

A few are probably young men avoiding criminal/legal issues -- if they don't get addicted they generally get a job first proper cold snap down here. Maybe an occassional young woman running from a pimp.

I am not sure there is any really good way to deal with the mental/drug beggers. They're brains aren't working 'normal'. Flash a weapon and that would mean you must have something. Have gray hair or an older person in your group/house, then you must have the pain drugs they want. They will take food and other helpful items [cache idea] but the food is only a means to getting along long enough to get what they want. And the helpful items something to sell/trade.

There was a woman with obvious 'issues' that got herself into trouble just south of here. She'd go to the bus stop, figure out she didn't have enough money [supposedly] go into the local Starbucks demanding change for her bus ride. Second time she caused major damage/havoc when they said no. [They had previously thrown her out on trespassing issues]. It took three people to hold her down [customers who had had enough]. Either mental issues or drugs [or both]. Being evaluated by police now as to her mental condition -- will be charged.

That said, most of the mental/drug street people commit most of their crimes on their own sort. [Knew someone who worked with them, said the fastest way to 'get' one of them 'dealt' with was to give them a twenty. Their 'friends' would pound them for it and the other non-existent twenties.]

And, many won't last long post-really serious issues. No/minimal free medical care when the OD or just need care. No meds for those who erratically medicate themselves legally. No pain pills for those who get them legally. Probably a cut back in the illegal drug source/trade. And they are the weakest target for those higher on the criminal ladder.

And, toss in -- it took three people to hold that woman down -- are people really going to be that patient post-whatever? When there are few/no cops? No med facilities to handle her? She would either be shot, or hit with a baseball bat. Fatal or not, ultimately it would be fatal for her.

Now, 'real' beggers. Say a family who lost their home to a neighborhood fire [no more fire department]. This is something people have had to deal with, and make their own decisions about since the dawn of time.

In less than post-ultimate disaster, you have more leeway. Churches. Local agencies might still be functioning enough to help. People are still living in tents and RV's after all that flooding in LA. And they are getting [to varying degrees] help from government, agencies and churches.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,136 Posts
The same way that they did in one second after.

Interview them. If they have needed skills, invite them to join.

Otherwise, provide the safe passage through your area and water if it is available.

If they won't leave, or attack -- attack back.

·
Registered
34,365 Posts
My place is so far out that people who live "far out" comment about how THEY thought THEY WERE "rural"

There's perhaps 2 totally worthless individuals I might have to deal with.

Buzzards Gatta eat too.

For the other neighbors I have "beans and rice, rice and beans" rations that I can decide if I should drop them off without them knowing the source, or use the reserves as a tool to finish (I work at it now) molding the neighbors into a unit.

I couldn't do this in a more populated area.

·
"Everbody has a plan . .&quot
2,187 Posts
I'll bet all these hardcases here decrying beggers would sing a totally different song IF it was THEIR kids crying from hunger or dying from lack of meds ! ! !

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's their fault for not preparing and maybe so, but remember no matter how smart you think you are or how well prepared you feel, maybe just maybe it could happen to you . . . . .

·
One with everything...
1,808 Posts
You give in once, you become their supply, then you become their target, then you lost.

Sorry... but we ALL saw this coming. You didn't prepare? WTF were you doing?

I had a cat do this - started fine with her food, then wanted a little more, then the food we put out 6 hours ago was too stale. Now it's 4 AM and the cat is body blocking toe door to wake us up because, while she has food in her dish, its more than 4 hours old.

If my damned CAT does this... what do you expect from these other animals (humans) who can play your emotions even better???

Suck it up, buttercup - you don't pull your weight, I can't change your moocherism. And if you say "that's not Christian"? Then go beg at the church, except likely they already turned your lazy butt away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Long term SHTF I Would offer decoy foods that make me seem desperate, like half eaten dog food, dead rat,mystery meat, in exchange for them doing tasks that I deemed too dangerous for myself, like checking areas for snipers, scouting unknown houses, clearing buildings. Really aggressive beggars become mystery meat/trap bait. It sound cold but I live in the most population dense region in america. If the grid goes down this place will be a war zone.

Short term SHTF like a natural disaster I would be more altruistic, help when I could, If I thought it wouldn't come back to bite me.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.