Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else seen this news article about ticks?
http://www.ibtimes.com/what-bourbon...-after-contracting-tick-borne-disease-2565062
It is a virus spread by ticks called the Bourbon Virus and currently there is no cure.
From the article:
The researchers at the center (CDC) said the virus belongs to a group of viruses called "thogotoviruses." They also said that there was no known cure for this virus and its consequences.

According to CDC, people are likely to be infected with Bourbon virus if they are bitten by a tick or an insect.

Now for all of those people in the cities who think they will survive in the woods after a SHTF event, it may be time for some serious reconsideration.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,412 Posts
Ticks are one of the most repulsive parasites. I live in Nebraska, and even our -20F winters doesn't slow them down.

In a SHTF---especially if you have to "go to the wilderness"---insect repellent would be as valuable a prep as food or gold.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I've got bad news for you--there is no cure for any viral disease. We have some antivirals which can treat things from herpes to AIDs, but don't cure them, just put them in remission with variable success, we have vaccines which can prevent some viral infections, our immune systems will wrestle some into dormancy most of the time (although chicken pox may well result in a shingles breakout later if our immune system falters), and over a very long period time, genetic selection will provide a percentage of the population with natural resistance to an endemic viral disease, but we don't have cures for viruses.

One of the major results of the antibiotics age is this naive belief in many that medicine can cure anything. It's not true. It has never been true. It very likely never will be true.

And yeah, anybody forced to return to a state of nature as a hunter-gatherer can expect to also return to a world with a natural death rate equalling and sometimes exceeding the maximum possible birth rate.

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
Polio is one that can't be cured. It can be prevented via vaccine, but the body either fights it off or it doesn't. Only support measures can be taken to try to help the body fight the virus. My mother had polio and survived, but one of her little school friends did not and died in an iron lung.

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
k, so are we really worried about a "virus" that has totaled 5 cases in 3 years in a country with 350 million residents?!?!

dear God, the flu..... another virus, killed 4600 last year alone....... bet you don't get a flu shot though right?!?!

Rabies, yet another virus is almost 100% fatal, although I will say there were probably less cases of it than bourbon.

HIV, yup another virus, killed 12,000 people last year.........

I could go on and on. I hope you get the point. "Worry never robs us of sorrow tomorrow, it just saps the joy out of today".

Prep, prep and prep some more but don't go off the deep end.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
I've got bad news for you--there is no cure for any viral disease. We have some antivirals which can treat things from herpes to AIDs, but don't cure them, just put them in remission with variable success, we have vaccines which can prevent some viral infections, our immune systems will wrestle some into dormancy most of the time (although chicken pox may well result in a shingles breakout later if our immune system falters), and over a very long period time, genetic selection will provide a percentage of the population with natural resistance to an endemic viral disease, but we don't have cures for viruses.

One of the major results of the antibiotics age is this naive belief in many that medicine can cure anything. It's not true. It has never been true. It very likely never will be true.

And yeah, anybody forced to return to a state of nature as a hunter-gatherer can expect to also return to a world with a natural death rate equalling and sometimes exceeding the maximum possible birth rate.
our bodies can fight off viruses very easily, the second time. Some viruses are completely eliminated by vaccines because they dont mutate that well. Developing a vaccine can be very quick (or might never happen)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k, so are we really worried about a "virus" that has totaled 5 cases in 3 years in a country with 350 million residents?!?!

dear God, the flu..... another virus, killed 4600 last year alone....... bet you don't get a flu shot though right?!?!

Rabies, yet another virus is almost 100% fatal, although I will say there were probably less cases of it than bourbon.

HIV, yup another virus, killed 12,000 people last year.........

I could go on and on. I hope you get the point. "Worry never robs us of sorrow tomorrow, it just saps the joy out of today".

Prep, prep and prep some more but don't go off the deep end.
You have a point. But I now own 10 acres way out in the country and almost every day I have to deal with ticks. I have no idea what disease they may carry if they bite me. And my property is in the middle of that kind of tick range. My point is that I have a lot of contact with ticks and no contact that will give me HIV. Rabid animals are shot on sight. And no I haven't had a flu shot in over 20 years. And haven't had the flu. Also the post is giving people some more information of possible natural threats. Which they can then prepare for.

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
ticks are always a problem here. ive seen deer with so many on em it looked like grapes hanging off. keep your hair trimmed shorter, check yourself, at minimum 2 times a day, use something with DEET, or strap a good animal flea and tick collar around your boot shaft, and it you feel a tinglingin itchy spot somewhere not normal, stop and inspect it.

thats what they feel like to me. especially the burrowing kind. they have a sorta local antistetic in their bite, spot just goes numbish when they digging in. and hot. again, to me anyhow.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
You have a point. But I now own 10 acres way out in the country and almost every day I have to deal with ticks. I have no idea what disease they may carry if they bite me. And my property is in the middle of that kind of tick range. Mor.
Me too.

That's why I got free ranging chickens, gravel 360 around the house (well, that and fire.) And am slowly replacing my "lawn" with short clover.

I throw out some scraps, and a littlevgrain, and they deposit a couple eggs s day 4 feet from my door.
But I got them for bugs.

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
You have a point. But I now own 10 acres way out in the country and almost every day I have to deal with ticks. I have no idea what disease they may carry if they bite me. And my property is in the middle of that kind of tick range. My point is that I have a lot of contact with ticks and no contact that will give me HIV. Rabid animals are shot on sight. And no I haven't had a flu shot in over 20 years. And haven't had the flu. Also the post is giving people some more information of possible natural threats. Which they can then prepare for.
my point being the flu is an actual "threat", kills 100's of thousands yearly and your getting worked up over something that you probably have better odds at winning the lottery to get.

Ticks are gross, members of the spider family which makes them enemy #1 in my book, a close second to an actual spider. Spiders lay traps....... think about that for a minute:(

mosquitos can and do carry a vast array of nasties, keep them in mind as well as spiders. Black widows and brown recluses will do things to you that will make you wish you would have died. The "cure" for spider venom is to cut away the affected area, and that venom spreads fast.

as long as we are talking venom, may as well involve the snakes...... copperheads, water moccasins and the beloved rattle snake. LOTS of people get bit by snakes every year......

Congrats on the piece of land! Go and enjoy it! Don't let a few pesky bugs dull your day.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Don't worry about the bizarre and rare stuff.

In a SHTF scenario where there's no access to modern medicine, normally treatable medical issues can kill you just as easily. I'll be slapping on the deet after an EOTWAWKI event for as long as I can get my hands on it, not because I'm afraid of some weird and incredibly rare tick fever but because an infected tick bite with some garden-variety bacteria could be just as deadly.

God forbid you get MRSA in the weeks after an apocalypse because your fishmox and feed store oxytet isn't going to cut it ...

The people moving to the woods after a SHTF event will start dying of garden variety dysentery and lung crud, as well as heat exhaustion or hypothermia, and metabolic issues, long before they die of exotic new tick fevers.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I've been bitten by ticks more times than I can count. Lime disease I contracted from deer ticks. Dog ticks are more prominent. It seems a minor infection comes with their bite, and the old mercurochrome and methiate (sp) seem to cure it quicker. Wish I could find it yet.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
When lyme disease started, it was in a very small area. Not so much now. It is deadly to many mammels untreated. I know of at least three people who have it. Well, it was three, one died a cripple. The other two both wanted to die from the pain and it took many doc visits to get a diagnosis. I know of several others but it is second hand, i have not spoken with these people. I know of dogs with the disease and the vet has told me of lots of horses in my area with it. Now the deer tick is less than 1/4 inch, engorged. The nymphs are smaller. Try finding one of them on you or a pet! I have had the most sucess finding them in feeling them crawl before attaching.

The point to this is, all dieseases "start" somewhere. It seems like tick borne start and spread, sometimes quickly. I now am hearing about Rocky Mountain Fever (hope that is the correct disease) way beyond the original area and that is spread by the grey tick.

Based on how much publicity lyme gets and the slow diagnosis, I tend to pay attention to the tick borne info. I am outside a lot and around my animals all the time and they do share ticks. I want to be aware of symptoms as early treatment is best. Lyme does tend to respond to Doxycycline. I also just learned my vet is using a Chinese herb blend to treat less responsive cases.

With any virus, helping the immune system do it's job can go a long ways. If I think I have some weird virus I might use a different approach frm when I feel like a cold is coming on. Being aware of things, maybe it spreads, maybe it doesn't,m just seems prudent. Kind of like watching flu outbreaks. If flu is bad, maybe i won't go to town as often. If a disease is spreading, maybe look up the "alternative" treatments for it. If it does not spread, great, forget about it!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I also second the chickens for bug control. When the garden is going, the chickens are fenced and the bug patrol is left to the guineas. They have really helped and they have reduced the number of snakes in the yard, too.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Has anyone else seen this news article about ticks?
l

I have been hearing this doom and gloom for 60 years. No absolute cure for Lymes Disease either. I have picked over 50 ticks off myself just in the past two weeks. Guess I am going to die. Ticks are all over the place this year at the northern tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan. We have hardly seen any at our other place in the U.P.

·
Smile..wait for the flash
1,415 Posts
I've mentioned this before...I have been dealing with Lyme for over five years now. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. As of this posting, I have been feeling good for over three months, longest stretch I've gone in 2.5 years (knock on wood). This past March and into the first week of April, things ended with a Herx reaction of biblical proportions. So, maybe it's gone?? Time will tell.

Every pair of shoes and socks I have get soaked in permythrin once per month, and will continue to in the winter as well. I couldn't imagine trying to live in the woods in an EOTW situation.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I'll have to look into this, re: Permethrin, it sounds effective and not too scary.
Thanks

http://www.tickencounter.org/prevention/permethrin

I've mentioned this before...I have been dealing with Lyme for over five years now. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. As of this posting, I have been feeling good for over three months, longest stretch I've gone in 2.5 years (knock on wood). This past March and into the first week of April, things ended with a Herx reaction of biblical proportions. So, maybe it's gone?? Time will tell.

Every pair of shoes and socks I have get soaked in permythrin once per month, and will continue to in the winter as well. I couldn't imagine trying to live in the woods in an EOTW situation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts