Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject: Dead boer goat at the bottom of water well. How do I clean this well?

My father was thinking of using lime, bleach, time and a pump.

Please no criticisms. We didn’t think of that well when we built the fence. We thought that we had it goat proof.

The well was used for 15 years to drink out of. It has not been used in over 20 years.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If the well is large enough for a goat to fall in, then maybe a long rope with a grappling hook on the end to remove the carcass, then lots of bleach. Then have the well tested.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
No suggestions, just a giant YUCK!!! and I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
As stated get the goat out and place about a 2 cups of bleach (Clorox) in the well, no more than a half quart at a time . Then let it sit a day. It will take time to clear out the bleach smell, unless you have a pump and can pump out the water for about 4 or 5 hours.
Then I would repeat the bleach process and let sit again. This will kill anything and everything. The water in the well is not stagnant and is replaced with fresh water when you take out whats in it. Don't drink the water for at least a week or 2.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts

Please no criticisms. We didn’t think of that well when we built the fence. We thought that we had it goat proof.

The well was used for 15 years to drink out of. It has not been used in over 20 years.
No Criticisms? Deal, but don't mistaken the questions I am about to ask, for insults.

1) How does a goat fall down a well?
2) How did you go long enough for it to drown before needing water?
3) What is it not covered?
4) normal Wells are about 14 inches or less. What size is yours?

Also I will need specifics, and pictures.

radioemergency, you don't have a bunch of posts, so I am Leary about getting to involved with posts like these. If you take some pictures and tell us the situation, then I might consider taking your question serious ok?

I just don't want to waste time if you are a troll. So please post some pics.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
I would call a company that drills wells, I bet they would know. Could be as simple as boiling water :)

·
17 Oaks Ranch Tx
3,890 Posts
1) Goats and fences: IF water can pass thru any point in your fence, then so can a GOAT, now go walk your fence again... here on the 17 Oaks Ranch I walk my fence every few weeks as these dang goats can get out in places you would NEVER think they could...

2) You NEED to get the goat or whats left of the goat out of there ASAP!

3) Rent or buy a trash pump and pump the well. If you can pump it dry that ok too, but you wan to pump the water and trash, left over goat pieces if any and allow fresh water to fill it back up. [I will assume if the well is that large its a hand dug well and not deep and does not contain a lot of standing water.

4) You have pumped well and its/has filled back up. Hopefully you have some rough estimate of how much standing water in there. Most likely its under a couple thousand gallons. Now add bleach or Muriatic Acid to obtain a level sufficient to DISINFECT [NOTE: this NOT suitable for drinking] you will need to let this set in the well [my best guess] somewhere between 24 - 72 hrs. I would then pump the well again and have the water tested for safety [your local well service can test for only a few dollars for the test].

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Mexican on a rope. Someone is going to have to go down there. I'd pump some surface air down there for awhile first.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Guys, I am just spit balling here, but I think he might be a troll.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Doooooh! I have a bad habit of taking people at their word. I'm a sucker, guilty as charged.:(
We all fall victim to trolls. The best we can do is keep from feeding them. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Troll or not, here's what I did.

We just moved to a place with a 30' hand dug well, with 7' water depth. It hadn't been used in 15+ yrs, and the old well house was like a mansion for mice. I used a bucket on a rope to get most of it off the surface, then dumped 8 gallons of bleach in. Let it sit for several days, then began pumping. We DO NOT use it for drinking though, just watering outside. Though, it looks very clear, I'll have it tested some day to see if it's safe.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts

Throw worms into they well. They will eat the goat carcass.

Then throw fish into they well. They will eat the worms.

Then catch the fish, and eat them.

In all seriousness, I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts