Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else have any new useful go to's? Dawn Powerspray, yep a post on a dish soap... my wife introduced this to me about a year or so ago and man I'm in love. For my lifestyle, gardening, farming, water, marine, animals, chicken coops, cleaning, removing grease stains from clothes, cleaning tools, and i've found it works insanely well on Stainless Steel appliances and porclain surfaces. I started using it in the bathrooms on the toilets and tubs and man its 1/4th the size of other cleaners and lasts 10x as long. I imagine just for that use alone I'll get 5-10 years out of one bottle.

I've also used it to spray aphids on okra and will use it this spring instead of a hose end sprayer, just spray aphids, let sit 5-10 minutes and wash off. Think it'll be great with the squash stinkbugs, powdery mildew, or spot cleaning vegetables.
Liquid Bottle Bottle cap Fluid Household supply

I imagine you could use it in shtf to shower with as well, probably cleans pretty well. Works great on cars as a degreaser as well with those damn love bugs. I've been saving up dial soap bars for years and really like them for getting really clean, along with Irish spring but this is definatly moving into the top spot, even cleans glass.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Have you tried it on mold or mildew? Need to pressure wash the house, maybe this would be good pretreatment?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Honestly, my go to for cleaning supplies is Dollar Tree. They have a degreaser in their "Awesome!" line brand that is lye based, works on ovens, cook tops, gas grills, anything really, just use gloves. $1.25 for a spray bottle is darn right cheap. Just don't use it on Aluminum rims (you can use it on aluminum but not for long, it will eat the top layer and leave it dull, be careful with it). it is the color of urine in a clear spray bottle. They also sell a stronger version in a black spray bottle just for grills and ovens. That stuff is twice as concentrated.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ive used awesome for years for certain things, its similar to mean green but neither are good at degreasing. I find awesome works on boats pretty well if you let it sit for a good long time before washing them off as a prewash before powerwashing. SPORKSRADIANT, you are the man, I am going to have to look into mixing this myself. Lemon dawn really repels pests in the garden heavily.

Ultimate mold prevention "take it from somebody that went through and remediated after katrina and just recently hurricane sally in which I sprayed every beam in the house, sometimes both sides"...
bleach and joemax combined in a pump sprayer. Areas that are mold prone kills mixed with mildicide before painting and its amazing. "Everyhouse should have Joe max/Bleach and a pump sprayer set aside for mold emergencies".

Spray house before pressure washing a section with joemax & Bleach let dry 10-15 minutes and you'll be shocked at how much easier it is. I like formula 88 a lot as well, this stuff kinda reminds me of that but for household use. I am going to have to pick up some more formula 88 for outdoor stuff, its a better degreser I think than even the dawn spray. really stoked about making my own now, I like the new zeland scent and the lemon should be perfect for outdoor on the spot aphid treatment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
16 oz recipie 13 ounces h20, 2 oz dawn, 1 oz rubbing alcohol. Let dawn and alcohol sit a couple hours. I've used dawn and water before quite a bit, but never with the alcohol, think it helps with residue and dries faster vs streaky which dawn can do. Really stoked about this, should save a ton of $ as I already have a bunch of old dawn bottles saved up and rubbing alcohol. Thanks again Sporksradiant. This is probably going to be my go to cleaner from here on out hopefully for the rest of my life!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Been using it on my greasy hands for many, many years. Also use it with the laundry for stains.
We used Dawn in my dads machine shop to clean our hands. We mixed it with Borax powder to make a paste and it really gets the grease and oil off your hands. I still use it after working on the car to clean my hands.

Q. Do you know why people always sleep late in Athens?
A. Because Dawn is tough on Greece...

(I'll see myself out). 😁
OK maybe a temporary ban is also called for. Terrible pun joke.

I liked it. (y)(y)(y)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts