Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about having the skills to build fires, bake bread, grind wheat, secure potable water & a host of other things, but have not read anything about what it takes to darn socks.

Now WTSHTF and the ability to go buy another pair of socks is gone, who knows how to repair the holes in the ones you have? Not I. I don't even know what special needles, yarn, or other tools are required. Anyone here know? I remember my grandmother had a big black egg shaped stone she would put in the sock being mended and then would sit there and do almost a needle point stitch, but whereas I was an 8 year old boy at the time (over 50 years ago) I paid little more attention than that. Mostly I was fascinated with the black egg...

Where does one go to learn this skill? Are there books out there that explain it? Seems like a pretty valuable skill to have in the long term...

Thoughts?

Allan

·
Poseur
221 Posts
I always fix small holes in clothing. I don't follow any special method, just sew the hole shut. If the holes are larger I'll take an old t-shirt and cut a patch. Most of what I do looks like crap, but it gets the job done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts