Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Skeptic
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I hate to create another thread in under 30 minutes or so, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with them and their AR-15s. I saw a base model in a gun show, and it seemed to my (completely inexperienced) eyes as a decent starter AR-15. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
While I hate to create another thread in under 30 minutes or so, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with them and their AR-15s. I saw a base model in a gun show, and it seemed to my (completely inexperienced) eyes as a decent starter AR-15. Anyone have any experience with them?
They're one of the higher tier AR-15's. If you're looking for a starter AR, check out Del-Ton. You can pick up one of their rifle kits for $465 and assemble it on a $100 stripped lower receiver. Not only will you learn quite a bit about the rifle by assembling it yourself, but its also very affordable. You don't need any special skills or tools to do it either, so don't be intimidated.

Google "Del-Ton review" or the like and you'll find a ton of great information.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I disagree with mrtoren. The daniel defense is an awesome rifle that is great for a first ar without giving you the headaches of propery staking the gas key and other issues that come in making a kit gun. I have the ddm4 and have also built plenty of others. The dd gun comes with m4 feed ramps for reliable feeding with the short carbine gas system. Plus they have a lifetime warrenty and all the dd guns i have shot have been A+ and they are alot less money then lmt or noveske. They are extremly well balanced. Most people do not want to go through the fustrating fixes for short stoking ftf fte that many of the cheaper or kit guns can bring. I am not saying this is the case every time, but If you have built one with these issues and trouble shot it to get it right while wasting ammo/time with a rifle that does not work right. I would definatly recomend a top teir rifle for reliability, warrenty, accuracy, and resale value.
Here is the classic comparative chart for what manufactures and there standard features on their AR15's.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html
The chart can show you what you are getting, DD stats are comparable to the top teir but their rifles sell for a good amount less.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
Is Daniel Defense a great firearm manufacturer? Of course, no ones doubting that. I just don't like to invest that much money in a weapon that you may OR may not initially like. I haven't heard of any of the above mentioned problems happening with a Del-Ton kit. I can't speak for everyone, but if it does occur, it happens in only a fractional amount of the builds. I think you're inciting more fear than is justified.

For less than $600 you could have a complete AR-15. With DD, they seem to hover around $1000. If you have the money to blow, then by all means, the DD rifle would save you the hour or two it takes to assemble the kit.

·
Skeptic
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to have been unclear: the group at the gun show did buy DD parts, then assembled them (a skill which I lack), so technically I'm not buying one of their (for me) super expensive options.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would never try to dissuade anyone from building their own AR,,however i wouldn't make it my first AR,, i think a factory made rifle has a better chance of being better "built" and more reliable, plus any problems u can send it back.

While building one yourself is fun and a learning experience, if u never get it together right, your back to fiddling with it for weekends on end, sending it to a gunsmith, or begging your more experienced friend to diddle with it.

Its also been reported that during training at Blackwater not one "home built" AR made it thru the course, some just rattling apart.

I really can't trust my life to a rifle that "might" work even if i'm the one who put it together.

I have a few AR's , and i have a few lowers i plan on building, so have fun, buy parts, build what u want, but be sure to test your rifle and make sure its made to last.

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
I have built many ARs and have nothing but good to say about DD products. They are in the upper spectrum of AR parts/rifles for quality and just down right greatness.

·
Hooligan on Holiday
2,368 Posts
I would never try to dissuade anyone from building their own AR,,however i wouldn't make it my first AR,, i think a factory made rifle has a better chance of being better "built" and more reliable, plus any problems u can send it back.

While building one yourself is fun and a learning experience, if u never get it together right, your back to fiddling with it for weekends on end, sending it to a gunsmith, or begging your more experienced friend to diddle with it.

Its also been reported that during training at Blackwater not one "home built" AR made it thru the course, some just rattling apart.

I really can't trust my life to a rifle that "might" work even if i'm the one who put it together.

I have a few AR's , and i have a few lowers i plan on building, so have fun, buy parts, build what u want, but be sure to test your rifle and make sure its made to last.
That is interesting to say the least. In all my years building ARs not a single one had to be fiddled with for weekends after its build other than maybe one weekend of sighting in, including my first build many years ago. I use the same wrenches and tools the factory builds have been subject to so whoever put together the rifles mentioned by you must not have known what they were doing. Also, I do not skimp on parts quality, you get what you pay for just like anything else. Even factory ARs are all assembled by hand in the end, no robotic assembly line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.