Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for MCCS Semper Fit gym, and they're open 365 days a year, and I already asked off for xmas, and what do they do? They make me work on xmas. Well, I told them that I won't come in. I already worked on Thanksgiving. I work 3rd shift, that's 2pm-11pm so I never have any time to go out and do anything anyways. Also since I'm a Flex employee(meaning part time) even though I work full time hours, but get none of the benefits, I don't get holiday pay, so they can go to hell for all I care.

They are open every day of the year as a way to "prevent solider suicides" yet every year it still happens and us being open hasn't improved anything.

Now I love and respect our servicemen, but the ones that are all depressed because they're away from mama on the holidays need to grow a pair a nuts and deal with it, they knew what they signed up for when they decided to join the military. I grew up with the military so I am used to not seeing family on the holidays. I think I've only had 3 Christmas's where my dad was there.

Being open on Christmas is some serious totalitarian commie bullsh*t. Only people I can see working on Christmas are cops and paramedics and such, and they ought to get holiday pay.

·
woefully unprepared
1,489 Posts
Not feel like living anymore? Here, do 30reps on this incline bench and tell me how you feel. What a effin lie. They know it's got nothing to do with soldiers, and everything to do with their 24/7/365 advertising.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
...Also since I'm a Flex employee(meaning part time) even though I work full time hours, but get none of the benefits, I don't get holiday pay, so they can go to hell for all I care.

...they knew what they signed up for when they decided to join the military...
Not to seem heartless, but so did you when you signed on at the gym... AND "Life ain't fair". Never was and never will be. I did almost 9 years in the Navy and spent many holidays on duty, away from home or otherwise "at work". BTDT...

By all means if they can't be reasonable, then find employnment someplace else. If enough people do that, they'll change the policy...

Allan

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
You have to stand by what you believe. I feel your pain. Hope you can find a new job soon.

Being as old as I am, weekends are not as important to me as they were SEVERAL years ago. Living far away from family, the holidays are not as important to have off.

Believe me when I say time/age will cure all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tell them to f off and quit or just don't show up. There is more & better jobs out there. I would never in my life work on Christmas or Thanksgiving. Stand up for what is right man.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Now I love and respect our servicemen, but the ones that are all depressed because they're away from mama on the holidays need to grow a pair a nuts and deal with it, they knew what they signed up for when they decided to join the military. I grew up with the military so I am used to not seeing family on the holidays. I think I've only had 3 Christmas's where my dad was there.

Being open on Christmas is some serious totalitarian commie bullsh*t. Only people I can see working on Christmas are cops and paraedics and such, and they ought to get holiday pay.
man, this sounds harsh,
when i was 18 and away from home for the first time i felt down some, am i a *****? no, did i know it was gonna be that way? yes, working out always seemed bring me up, you signed up to work for the company, now your bitching about the job...grow some nuts and do your duty

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Why dont you grow up, Matt?

If hes worked one major holiday not even a month ago, theres got to be someone who did not work Thanksgiving. Alternating holiday hours may be a good idea, if they had any brain cells at all.

I dont believe its fair that you dont get paid for holiday hours. At my part time job at a grocery store sundays and holidays we got paid 1.5x an hour.

·
Banned
6,931 Posts
I work for MCCS Semper Fit gym, and they're open 365 days a year, and I already asked off for xmas, and what do they do? They make me work on xmas. Well, I told them that I won't come in. I already worked on Thanksgiving. I work 3rd shift, that's 2pm-11pm so I never have any time to go out and do anything anyways. Also since I'm a Flex employee(meaning part time) even though I work full time hours, but get none of the benefits, I don't get holiday pay, so they can go to hell for all I care.

They are open every day of the year as a way to "prevent solider suicides" yet every year it still happens and us being open hasn't improved anything.

Being open on Christmas is some serious totalitarian commie bullsh*t. Only people I can see working on Christmas are cops and paramedics and such, and they ought to get holiday pay.
So, you equate being a military brat with actually being in the service? Hey, I've got an idea ... quit your job and join the service. That experience will surely adjust your attitude about holiday work/pay. I hear there are some fine resort areas in the middle east where you can spent next Christmas ... on duty.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have a better idea, would you rather be out of work?

·
HANDY MAN
1,472 Posts
I have a better idea, would you rather be out of work?
Yes....I would thanks. I'd tell em' to kiss my nutts.

He's already worked a holiday and now its time for some one else to step up to the plate. Not to mention hes not being compensated for his time fairly.

Sounds to me like you work for an ***hole.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts

If hes worked one major holiday not even a month ago, theres got to be someone who did not work Thanksgiving. Alternating holiday hours may be a good idea, if they had any brain cells at all.
"Grow up"...this guy is complaining about working, come on that's life, deal with it, he is not bound by a legal requirement to work, if he doesn't like it...quit/no show/get fired, boo who 2 holidays in a row, troopies overseas have spent the last 2 Christmas's away
I am sure there is 3 million people that would take his place...
This generations unwillingness to work is a joke, this is why the up coming depression will be the end of sheep, and the rise of the wolf

·
Registered
859 Posts
TBH I was with the op until he started bitching about servicemen. Just because your work is naff on following through on your pre-booked holidays doesnt mean you should go off on one at un-involved people.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I dont believe its fair that you dont get paid for holiday hours. At my part time job at a grocery store sundays and holidays we got paid 1.5x an hour.

And, I gotta work New Years Eve, and New Years Day. No fun party time or anything for me, but I'll work those days.

The really f**ked up thing is I was scheduled off on Xmas anyways because it falls on my normal days off, and I told everyone that I couldn't work that day anyways, and what do they do, they sign me up on it pretty much the last minute and tell me I have to be there. Well, they're gonna be SOL when I don't show up.

If I get fired, oh well, I don't really give a sh*t, I'm leaving this godforsaken rock at the end of January anyways. My buddy back home said he can land me a pretty cool job working for FedEx.:thumb:

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
man, this sounds harsh,
when i was 18 and away from home for the first time i felt down some, am i a *****? no, did i know it was gonna be that way? yes, working out always seemed bring me up, you signed up to work for the company, now your bitching about the job...grow some nuts and do your duty
You think I want this job? You think I had any choice on this crappy island? Well I didn't because the only other jobs are manager positions, which I don't qualify for, and the severely underpaid janitors which only local nationals get the jobs. And getting hired off base is about as likely as Hitler having tea with a rabbi.

I don't know why people are thinking I'm badmouthing the servicemen, I said I love and respect them, but f**king come on man, give me a f**king break I'm tired of being stiffed with the bullsh*t days with bullsh*t hours every time.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I aint condoning anything your employer did, holidays suck for anyone who has to work them. BUT, for me, if I knew that I MIGHT save one service members life by being there, it is the most important job in the world to me. I know "they" spin lies and BS, but seriously what if "Johnny shoots himself" has in fact been there without you knowing it? Maybe you have saved people without your knowledge? It isn't just a job when you are potentially dealing with peoples lives. Maybe that type of work isn't your calling. Many a paramedic have been to a call they thought was a joke, but it means the world to the person they "help". Its called the unseen (unsung) hero, be one, or don't, but to claim it is useless is like claiming that paramedics only help when truly needed.

I guess what I am getting at is Thank You, for helping our service members. I know that the ones who need you count on you, whether they admit it or not is up to them.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
And, I gotta work New Years Eve, and New Years Day. No fun party time or anything for me, but I'll work those days.

The really f**ked up thing is I was scheduled off on Xmas anyways because it falls on my normal days off, and I told everyone that I couldn't work that day anyways, and what do they do, they sign me up on it pretty much the last minute and tell me I have to be there. Well, they're gonna be SOL when I don't show up.

If I get fired, oh well, I don't really give a sh*t, I'm leaving this godforsaken rock at the end of January anyways. My buddy back home said he can land me a pretty cool job working for FedEx.:thumb:
Don't count yer chickens before they hatch. You're not the only one that is willing to relocate to get that job right now. Times ain't good. Just suck it up and do the *******s a favor and work Christmas for them. You don't want to show up back home flat broke and be a burden to your friend's and family even if they don't mind given you a loan.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
Feel yer pain bud...had to work every holiday for the 10 years I was in radio. But, we did get double time, and my family could at least HEAR me. I didn't mind though, I knew it was part of the gig when I signed up.

Same thing when I managed a shop-n-rob. EVERYONE had to be scheduled 4 hours on thanksgiving and christmas. Just enough to ruin your day and drive you nuts from all the unprepared asking for BATTERIES on Christmas! No extra pay either.

So do not despair, young one...this Christmas there are gonna be literally hundreds of thousands away from their families on christmas...from the mailman running last minute packages, the FFED EX & UPS gang, the light man fixing downed power lines, the shop n rob folks, police, fire, EMT, not to mention the soldiers overseas and anyone else I left out.

Yep it's unfair...but that's life...get used to it now, so when you hit midlife as I have, you won't mind so much...or find a job that guarantees holidays off. My job guarantees thanksgiving, that friday, christmas, that friday and 6 other days off a year. :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
I may of quit before getting to it but I was happy when I was scheduled to work christmas a couple years ago, it meant more money for me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts