Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Well If you look at the price range of the steel for some of the upper knifes plus the work that goes into it. Plus a company needs to make money to pay for being in business. I have payed up wards of 70.00 just for the blanks for some of my knifes. So the cost is relative.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
I thought my buck was expensive at $100 nearly 30 years ago, still using it so I would say the quality more than paid for itself. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
More likely you thought "I just paid $100 for this....I better take care of it."

There is no diff in quality between two identical items that are simply priced diff except in the perceived levels of quality between the two, and folks operate differently based on that perceived difference alone.

rich

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If you need to go really cheap, try the flea markets. Sometime you can pick up a good-probably not top quality-knife. Estate auctions and as a last resort, get the biggest circle saw blade you can find and make your own.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Many knives are indeed expensive. There are still quality knives on the market that will do the job for around fifty bucks. The Buck 119 and similar knives will not break the bank and are great work horses. As everything else goes... you can go as cheap or as expensive as you want. That goes for knives, boots, tools, vehicles, and every other prep you can imagine. You have to do what works for your budget. Many made it through the Depression and even worse with standard butcher knives and pocket knives. They were not running around with $200 knives.

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
34,051 Posts
Good, American made knives are very expensive. I recently broke down and bought my first Randall which cost an arm and a leg. I also bought a BlackJack at about the same time. I had to mortgage my home in the process. :(

Reactions: POPPALUV

·
Registered
972 Posts
Good, American made knives are very expensive. I recently broke down and bought my first Randall which cost an arm and a leg. I also bought a BlackJack at about the same time. I had to mortgage my home in the process. :(
And Im sure they are excellent knives. BlackJacks are beautiful and excellent outdoor knives. My bark river gunny is my most expensive knife I own, but it is quality and I understand why it is what it is. The steel they use is a higher end carbon steel usually used on customs. You can say Bark Rivers are semi custom. Each knife is worked by hand. The blades must be carefully sharpened and stropped by hand to get that incredible convex blade. Much work goes into each knife, not to mention the pride of the idividual/s making them. I try to support this kind of buisness as much as I can and Im willing to pay alittle more green to do so. Everyone makes out, they get to make great blades and I get a great product. And thats something I consider when buying things, especiallly knives. I have the intention of keeping it for a lifetime and hopefully be able to pass it along to either my children or there children. If that happens with this Gunny, the price I paid was worth every penny and a undescribable amount more. If I buy something cheap that is only going to last me a small amount of time, it really isnt worth it to me, would rather put it towards something else.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
"Damn, knives are 'spensive!!!!"

So are cars , gas , food , daughters cell phones , backpacks , hatchets , boots , clothes , insurance , grandkids , internet service & everything else we spend our money on.

The folks that make knives have to pay for those types of things too.

It doesn't seem like much of anything we buy costs less than it once did. But if you buy good quality stuff it usually pays off for you in the long run.

Cliff

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
More likely you thought "I just paid $100 for this....I better take care of it."

There is no diff in quality between two identical items that are simply priced diff except in the perceived levels of quality between the two, and folks operate differently based on that perceived difference alone.

rich
You wouldn't believe the number of blades I have or how much cutting I have done on my job and my recreational and chore activities. The old buck really is in a class by itself and I only have two other blades that come close, both are larger not as handy and cost more. One is a Norwegian hunting blade and the other is a Spanish fighting knife.

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
get a Condor Rodon for $25 at SMKW and you will not say that anymore
I will take a look at that! Thanks!!

What knife you looking at?
TBH, I'm a complete noob when it comes to the names. I've seen enough on 3 sites to confuse me. Different names, brands even for the same knife lastmonth, is now named something different. Too much to take in.

I thought my buck was expensive at $100 nearly 30 years ago, still using it so I would say the quality more than paid for itself. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
I could see myself doing that in the future, but some of these suckers @ $330 for something I'll be so scared to lose, seems like it would be a bad buy for me.:xeye:

Well If you look at the price range of the steel for some of the upper knifes plus the work that goes into it. Plus a company needs to make money to pay for being in business. I have payed up wards of 70.00 just for the blanks for some of my knifes. So the cost is relative.
Hey I understand workmanship. I'm a starving artist myself. I'm delivering friggin pizzas since no one has $200-300 for a original 'Pop, muck less 3-5 k for a kitchen mural. :(

All I have right now is a gerber pocket knife BIL got me for X-mas, a couple of multi-tools and , I *think* a Kurki(?) chopper from a gun show recently. I'd like a GOOD tool, but I do not need a certain name on it to impress. Does that make any sense? (I just took my sleep meds.:xeye:)

Maybe I should stay away from the blade forums. Makes my head swim. I'll probably contact a board member when I've decided which to purchase.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts