Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone can give me any Pros or Cons for a Damascus Blade?? I really like the look of them but wondering what to look for and what to look out for, if you know what I mean. This would be in a general purpose fixed blade knife.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Pro's are looks. Cons, there are better steels, more inexpensive, and more corrosion resistant. To me, looks mean little, function is everything. Almost always they will never tell you what the Damascus is made of, something to watch out for.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
you do have to make sure it is a quality piece. I have heard of fakes that were just acid etched with a wavy pattern. if it is not expensive it will probably be crap... nothing more than a wall hanger.

Damascus steel has several advantages

the differences in steel hardness will give you a slight serration on the edge that will make it 'sharper'
the layered metal will more flexible and stronger
because it has to be forged it will be lighter and stronger than a stock removal knife
because of the work required to make Damascus good craftsmen usually put the time in to differentially temper the knife which also increases 'sharpness' and flexibility

good Damascus will be carbon steel so it does need more maintenance but it depends on what you want to use it for. it is probably not a good choice for a "survival knife"

me, I do not so much care for the look so I usually consider that a con

·
Registered
274 Posts
Eh, pattern-welded steel is nice, but very expensive... and if it's not done properly there's always the chance that it's not 100% stable, aka it might at some point fail.

There was a point in time where it was the choice for blades... but that time ended with modern metallurgy. We have many steels today that are just plain better, and cheaper to boot.

Basically, get one if you're a collector or really like the look... but for function vs. money your best bet is to go with a good plain steel blade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts