Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every year at least one large dam in the U.S. comes close to failing (Oroville, CA) due to heavy rains and is only saved due to the heroic efforts of the Corps of Engineers or local authorities. In an extended grid-down situation, when it may not be possible to remedy compromised dams how much of a threat do you think these dams are?

There is one north of Dallas that contains Lake Lewisville that regularly develops sand boils below the dam. Hundreds of thousands of people live in the area that would be flooded should the dam fail.

http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2015/lewisville-dam/

·
Registered
759 Posts
Very interesting thoughts , another thing / place to add to the list of places too NOT live near . No way to prepare for some thing except to not be near them when it happens . Yeah I know easier, easier said than done .

·
Registered
34,359 Posts
Very interesting thoughts , another thing / place to add to the list of places too NOT live near . No way to prepare for some thing except to not be near them when it happens . Yeah I know easier, easier said than done .
Something we would say:

People who wouldn't dream of living ANYWHERE NEAR a nuke plant will live downstream from a damn!

You need to consider all risks.
Man-made such as those, and potentiAl HAZMAT (it doesn't happen often, but more than a few people have died in their sleep due to a hazmat spill.)

Highways, rail, and navigable river.

Look at your aquifer, and what might contaminate it.
(I have a perched aquafer, with not even cattle fields 'upstream' to worry about.)

Dump sites, even common air traffic.

Geologic stability, soil conditions, the list is long.

·
American fearmaker
14,241 Posts
Keep in mind that the federal government, the Corp of Engineers, does NOT have control over all dams in this country. Some dams are built by state and local governments. Other dams are sometimes built by private citizens, like farmers, to control waterflow on or off of their property. A few years ago, in the area where I live, we had a farmer's dam bust open and flood a couple of county roads, a couple of township roads and a state highway. Damage done by the sudden release of the water from his dam's breeching was very costly to various governments and his insurance company.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Well, maybe if CA actually used taxpayer money to fix their dams and other necessary things in their state the dam would have been fixed, it has taken years of neglect and putting band aids on it when they knew it needed to be fixed.

Instead they have chosen to use taxpayer money to fund gun grabbing schemes, fund the illegals healthcare, schooling, food and shelters while chasing SANE taxpayers out of the state at the same time. At some point in time the dam is gonna give...pun intended

Maybe all of the self-righteous hollywierd movie stars can donate money to fix the dam

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That story was from 2015. They have since began work to repair the dam from my understanding.
Yes, it's a dated story, thanks for pointing this out and repairs have started although they appear to be behind schedule

Another thing to think about are dams that are currently in good condition but which might not have any operators on duty after SHTF. When water gets high enough in a reservoir, the operators will open floodgates to releave the pressure on the dam. It might be possible for technically skilled people living downstream to open a floodgate permanently (assuming this could be done manually) which would lower the lake level but might prevent catastrophic failure.

Another thing to think about is living near a "constant level" lake. Without operators tweaking the floodgates, the lake level could soar in SHTF, flooding many "safe" houses.

·
spirit animal / unicorn
2,084 Posts
Just another factor showing the world is overpopulated. We need water for all the people and all the industry and agriculture, so that's why we need these dangerous dams we don't take care of well enough.

Probably if western / European / First World countries didn't have enemies or rivals with huge economies and populations in the hundreds of millions, we wouldn't think we need our own huge populations of many millions.

It's really a crazy house of cards, and we overrate our leaders, and our leaders of industry. It's all a bunch of complacency.

·
Unemployed Philosopher
365 Posts
Dam and then some...

Infrastructure in general in this country is in rough shape.
Its not just Dams its: Bridges, Highways, Rail, Power Gird, Water/Sewer, Etc...

Delayed maintenance, redirection of funds, government corruption, and general shortsightedness & stupidity...

We exist in a time & place that will not be envied.
:rain

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Just another factor showing the world is overpopulated. We need water for all the people and all the industry and agriculture, so that's why we need these dangerous dams we don't take care of well enough.

Probably if western / European / First World countries didn't have enemies or rivals with huge economies and populations in the hundreds of millions, we wouldn't think we need our own huge populations of many millions.

It's really a crazy house of cards, and we overrate our leaders, and our leaders of industry. It's all a bunch of complacency.
Aside from (attempting to) limiting immigrants,
I don't see our government doing anything about population control.
Indeed, it appears to be the opposite:
several states want to forbid ********.

·
Militant Normal
10,410 Posts
Aside from (attempting to) limiting immigrants,
I don't see our government doing anything about population control.
Indeed, it appears to be the opposite:
several states want to forbid ********.
Au contraire. Population control is behind the global warming hoax, which has wormed its' way deep into government policies.

·
Registered
763 Posts
most western countries are in decline, hence the reason for migration, make it nonpunitive tax wise to have a kid. I didn't do taxes last year(wife) but I remember the writeoff for childcare was such that swmbo stayed home because the cost of going to work was such that we would let somebody else raise our kids for an extra income of about $400 take home a month.

·
Honyock
634 Posts
Population control idea:

We just need a friendly world wide nuclear war to reduce the population by 80 or 90% then everything would be peachy keen. /sarc

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Yeah we got issues with one dam here now that the Corps of Engineers have known about for about 11 years now that hasnt been fixed due to lack of funds...so they say. I guess we will wait for it to let go before we do something about it. In the mean time I guess its a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Folks! A dam is something that holds water. A tinkers dam is also a dam but for solder. Damn is a curse word.

·
Listen to the ghosts
5,395 Posts
Well, maybe if CA actually used taxpayer money to fix their dams and other necessary things in their state the dam would have been fixed, it has taken years of neglect and putting band aids on it when they knew it needed to be fixed.

Instead they have chosen to use taxpayer money to fund gun grabbing schemes, fund the illegals healthcare, schooling, food and shelters while chasing SANE taxpayers out of the state at the same time. At some point in time the dam is gonna give...pun intended

Maybe all of the self-righteous hollywierd movie stars can donate money to fix the dam
About 4 years ago we took the family on vacation to San Francisco and to see my brother and his family. One day we took US 101 to Muir Woods. A part of this US highway had fallen into a ravine, the outside lane for about 6 or 7 miles. Instead of fixing it, they put a street light at either end and you had to wait for the light to change so you could take your turn on the one lane. On the southern end, the light was positioned right before a shoulder you couldn't see around. You basically had to pray that the ******* coming the other way didn't run the red light on the other end.

A freaking US highway.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
About 4 years ago we took the family on vacation to San Francisco and to see my brother and his family. One day we took US 101 to Muir Woods. A part of this US highway had fallen into a ravine, the outside lane for about 6 or 7 miles. Instead of fixing it, they put a street light at either end and you had to wait for the light to change so you could take your turn on the one lane. On the southern end, the light was positioned right before a shoulder you couldn't see around. You basically had to pray that the ******* coming the other way didn't run the red light on the other end.

A freaking US highway.
Yeah, but it’s in enemy controlled territory..and people like Pelosi, Schiff, and Harris wanna-be’s run that place..:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts