Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Good job Bud,Thanks for taking the time out to show us this.

Ive just cropped my veg and will be starting my winter garden but while the ground is clear i may go out this week and give this a go.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
A small tri pod over the hole would be a good idea, then you can feed the fire if you need to, also make it easy to regulate the heat on the pot.

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
Nice! I've used this technique a bunch; it's great for reducing your light signature, and, as you mentioned, for producing less smoke. You can also slide a flat rock partway over the main hole as a cooking surface. Good job on the demo!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good job and excellent demonstration.

Here are some of the advantages I gathered from the video and the comments.

* Can use a small tri pod over the hole

* Regulate the heat

* Reduced light signature

* Produces less smoke

* Can slide a flat rock partway over the main hole as a cooking surface

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very nice!

Lets not for get about the advantages of fire control and quickness of extinguishment!
Another thing to think about and I learned this the hard way... still setting up rocks around the hole. Not only can you gain from the heat of the rocks (if needed) but it helps you from stepping into or slipping into the hole if not paying attention!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a pretty slick technique. I tried it out on my last trek and it worked wonderfully but it was time intensive due to the soil being fairly hard (did a number on my shovel). To save time I dug a trough out for the chimney then used large sticks to keep the shape as I filled earth in over it. This does make a much more noticeable footprint though. As it was I spent almost an hour building my first one and only really plan on using the Dakota Fire Hole for camps that I plan ton stay at for longer than one night :sleep: or in locations with softer ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts