Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In watching gunbroker the other day I saw a sale of two VZ 58's, one of each kind. It seems like they were listed to start at $700 each. I may be wrong, I can't remember for sure. But after reading about them and looking at how well made they appeared and clean of line, I thought that is not a bad looking weapon. Even though they look like an AK, they are not. They do use AK ammo 7.62 x 39mm. But it ends there. I'm impressed.

I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience with these guns or any guns made by CZUSA, if not the VZ 58. Maybe you know someone with one. They are great looking guns and their product line is really impressive as far as hunting rifles and pistols go. Thanks for your time and interest.

Hi Poopus

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cz is an amazing gun company. Everything they make is top notch, Simply put. The CZ 75 is a very popular series and is one of the best pistol designs ever. It will easily compete in all categories with names like sig, glock, H&k, etc and beat most of them, especially in price. Their Hunting rifles are great but expensive. The VZ-58 is the best VZ-52/AK-47 rifle out there. The new VZ 58 you are looking at was stress tested and it took over 4000 rds in full auto to cause a stoppage! Accuracy should be about 1 moa which is amazing for a rifle like this. If I could own one of these rifles where I live, I would buy one. This is a clip of the stess test.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was reading about the pistol on the web at work today and all of the different design stages it went through. Really impressive. All came down to the current model. I wouldn't mind one of those as well.

The video was great. It looked identical to the semi-auto sporter version they are selling. Thanks again.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
I own a VZ-58, they are military actions crippled to be semi-auto only by having some internals removed and a mounting point welded closed. Then a civilian-legal barrel is installed and the whole thing is re-painted.

It is accurate to 300+ yards with iron sights, and a blast to shoot. I have never shot an AK, but I really enjoy mine.

Although VZUSA, claims to be doing their own mods, these are the same sold to other countries (ie: Canada) and those come directly from Czech republic in original VZ Packaging.

If you have the money, and want a 7.62x39, then go for it, you will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
For $700? No idea, but I know the Finish AK is awesome and similar. Anything CZ gets the thumbs up by me though; high grade stuff for the money. I think the design on that 58 could be a bit more user friendly, but the accuracy I've seen is awesome. These are not considered a true AKM clone, but really they function the same. Although odd looking, I bet that stock works well very very well.

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,021 Posts
These are not considered a true AKM clone, but really they function the same.
They are not an AK variant, but actually a modification of the German Stg-44. One most notable carry-over is the whole bolt upper is one unit, allowing 180 degree access to the breech and reducing possibility of ejection failures, where on an AK the upper is closed and the bolt works within that stamped frame. Ejection port is a small flap on the side.

The action is completely different than an AK

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks, I was reading about the pistol on the web at work today and all of the different design stages it went through. Really impressive. All came down to the current model. I wouldn't mind one of those as well.

The video was great. It looked identical to the semi-auto sporter version they are selling. Thanks again.
I own the new CZ 75 P-01 which is a new compact version of the cz-75. It recently passed nato testing and is the only approved nato pistol you can currently buy on the civilian market. The biggest thing the cz-75 series have going for them is the accuracy and ergonomics. My p-01 has a 3.9" barrel and I can shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards if I really take my time. That is freakishly accurate. If you want more a full sized pistol do a search for the SP-01 cz75.

That rifle is the exact same as the civilian model you might buy except for the sear assambly and one set of reciever holes (so you cant just drop in the full-auto sear assembly). That is one thing I like about CZ, they dont severly modify or change their military grade weapons for civilians.

·
"Dolt"
3,265 Posts
For the 762 round I would go with an AK as the first choice. The CZ itself is a fine rifle though it has more parts then the AK. More moving parts means more can go wrong.

I remember the first time I came across a CZ was with IP in Iraq. They had one in their lockers. It was painfully obvious that it wasn't an AK. The IP I asked about it said they hated it because it was broke, they couldnt get the AK mag to work with it and it would Fail to feed. It was funny to watch them trying to put the AK mag in while yelling what I imagine to be foul works in native tongue. It didnt matter how many times we explained that it WASNT an AK, they just didnt get it.

There was a Canadian guy in one of the classes I went to about two years ago. He said it was the only AK style rifle he was permitted to own. I dont know if it was a government type restriction or what.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
I just purchased this today for my wife. Final price: $720

The word on the street is that it is money well spent.

I am so very excited to get it. My MBR is a an M14. The VZ will be something that my wife can manage easily.

Until she needs to use to save live though, it will be my play thing...lol.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
anyone ever break any AK parts? i kinda doubt parts availability matters much.

Im not in the market (garand, carbine and AR already) but if i were i think I'd get a CZ over the AK.

The rifle is the wrong place to save money.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I have shot an original a long time ago. It came out of Beruit with a Rug merchant. thing is really cool to shoot. I am with DocYoung though too much to go wrong. I can fix an AK with a hammer, a screwdriver and little else. Spare parts for the Std AK are available from many places cheap. Not so for the 58. I have the seen the new ones they are building off of kits and they look reallygood. have fun what ever you do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.