Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a Czech 98/22 rifle a couple years ago. The bluing was messed up, so I had it parkerized, which destroyed the collector's value (at the time, I didn't understand anything about that, but have since become much more of a collector). The rifle has respectable accuracy, and I have been toying around with making it into some kind of hunting/survival rifle. First up on the list is to add a scope. I don't know anything about how to add mounts, which type of scope to buy, etc...

Can one of you guys point me out in the right direction on how to get this started? BTW, I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars to do this. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You first need to find a set of mounts that will fit, Mauser K98 mounts should do the trick ( Brownells)20-40 bucks.You will need to drill the reciever or get a smith to do it so the mounts can be attached to the reciever. This will cost 40-50 bucks at most reputable Gunsmiths. The next task is to get the Bolt bent as the 98/22 (at least mine) has a straight handled bolt. There is a guy out there that does bent bolts for mosins and I beleive he does Mauser as well. His prices are in the 50- 60 dollar range. The safety will need to be swapped out with a low profile unit that will all usage with a scope. These are availible at Brownells. I have not priced these in years but expect to part with 30-50 bucks. So at this point you will be into this for 150 -200 bucks and you still need to pick a resonable Scope. Simmons or Bushnell are both decent and can be had for 40-75 buck for a 3X9x40mm . When your done it will not be any more accurate than it is right now. I have a 98/22 and it will shoot little tiny groups at 50 yards( But I need to Handload Custom Ammo to do it.)

You need to be the judge on where your rifle is in this department. If it were me, I would leave it as is and put that money towards a Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06,270.etc. and can be had for under 300 bucks. These are fine rifles at a bargain price and will most certainly be more accurate than a tired old 98/22.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts