Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to cut your potatoes and get them ready to plant - OR, soak them in some water to get them to sprout. But either way - next weekend and in 2 weeks the potatoes are going in the ground.

Next weekend the butter potatoes are being planted, and in 2 weeks the red skin potatoes are being planted.

Potatoes are your friend - unlike a lot of other crops, potatoes can be eaten at any phase of development.

An experiment is currently going on, 2 potatoes cut in half and set in a layer of water, and 2 potatoes with tooth picks suspended in water.

January 26th - 2 potatoes cut in half and set in a dish of water.

One week and one day later - February 3rd. These potatoes are sprouting faster then the potatoes at room temp with no water.

The sprouts on these potatoes are past ready to plant. You do not have to wait until they look like this to plant.

Eyes cut into sections.

Let these dry for a week or two and they will be ready to plant. Potatoes with just one sprout are planted whole.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Ours were planted yesterday. Normal potatoes and new potatoes. Sweet potatoes will be later.

I think the plate or jar thing will work in the sprouting. The water is the key.

How come everything has to make noises when you start video taping. My son had not been in the back yard all day and then when I video my rolypoly video he chooses then to come out the door. LOL crazy boy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
While I know this is not ideal, I bought some organic potatoes at the grocery store that looked as though they had eyes starting on them. Does it matter how big the eyes are before you plant them? Is there an "optimal" height they should be?

I am planting these in containers since I have virtually no yard.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
While I know this is not ideal, I bought some organic potatoes at the grocery store that looked as though they had eyes starting on them. Does it matter how big the eyes are before you plant them? Is there an "optimal" height they should be?

I am planting these in containers since I have virtually no yard.
I dont think it matters how "big" the eyes are, as long as they are growing. Some of the potatoes I have right now, the eyes are just 1/8 - 1/4 inch tall. That is a little too short, so I am going to wait a couple more weeks before those get planted.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
I love the way you teach. Thank you for sharing this info with us. I always wondered how you planted potatoes. The trick with the water is great. Once again you have provided an excellent source of information to this already killer site!

Reactions: kev

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you have an early season . Up here we can not plant a garden till May after the frost.
Potato plants are frost resistant. Have you tried planting them early? Last year we had a couple of 20 - 30 degree days and the plants were not harmed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The potatoes I didn't get out of the ground last year started coming up a week or two ago. I've just finished slicing up my seed potatoes and will wait a day or two to plant them, or for a break in the wet weather so I don't compact my soil so much. The sprouting is something entirely new to me. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know this is old, but great vid Kev...it's how I found this site!

Anyways, my seed potatoes are now sliced up. How deep do I plant the slices? Does everything get buried, including the sprouted eyes?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts