Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I went by the local feed and fertilizer store and picked up some potatoes. Today I cut them up, put them on some card board and plan on planting them tomorrow.

·
Registered
224 Posts
a little trick

I just watched your video good stuff kev! i just wanted to share a trick with you at home in alaska the soil never warms up much so when we plant potatoes we put them into a tire and as they grow we add tires and dirt most of the time I am able to build this up to three tires before harvest time this not only keeps the soil warmer for our climate but also seems to double the amount of potatoes per plant and makes it easier to harvest them just remove the tires one at a time and pick them up as you go. give it a try on a few of your plants this year i think you will be suprised how well it works:thumb:

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
It must feel good to be getting in the dirt ... we still have two feet of snow on the level.

Cut your potatoes at least a day before you plant them to give the cut sides a while to 'heal'.
Don't cut them too far in advance however, or they will get moldy.

We usually plant our first potatoes on Good Friday, and on the south side of the grainery where it warms up quicker.
Just a few hills for eating during the summer ... those usually make 'baby taters' for boiling by the fourth of July.

The rest will be planted in mid April.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts