1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
V
21,713 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
thanks man,thank you ferrarri for thanking me
Haha, no problem dude. Useful post you had. I'm actually trying out knife making myself but I'm still working on my first knife. I'll make a video of it once I'm done but that may take a little while because my file got dull and I need a new one to fix it up. After that I just got to temper my blade and it'll be up here. But yeah, Sticks is very good at knife making. I would check out some of his stuff.

·
Registered
261 Posts
what i really need to know is what kind of machines i need and materials
Well, I'm just a beginner and I don't have much of the tools and matierials myself. But I do know some of the stuff that would help. A Grinder, a power Saw, a Belt Sander, a forge (these are usually home made), a file, a anvil, plyers would help, and a hammer depending on how your making the blade. I only got 3 of these, the file, power saw and hammer. But I'm trying to build a forge to temper my blade. But right now I'm just taking pieces of steel that already have the general shape to them and then sawing off parts of it to get the main shape, and then fileing it down to get an edge on it (this is very exausting and its way better to have a grinder for this). Then when I'm done with that I got to make a forge and get the steel hot enough to temper it. Some steels such as truck springs don't really need tempering unless you got the steel to hot while grinding or sawing it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
can i make a forge of bricks?and can it be propane powered?or is wood best?
Ah, this is where sticks can help you better than me. He's got a thread up that shows how to make a good forge. But from what I heard (and what I'm trying to do), bricks make a good structure for a forge. Check out this site, it shows another way to make a forge out of basic supplies you can get at Home Depot and should work very well. http://64.176.180.203/washtubforge.htm

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
There are some very good threads here on knife making that members have done that you should check out,also theres a sticky at the top of the page what i did on making a knife from a file and the only kit i used in this thread was an angle grinder and blow torch,also in the same thread is green petes youtube video which is very good.

Id say to you to just scroll through back pages here in knives,swords and axes,you will find lots of threads that will help you,check page 2 out there is a few threads there.

also check this thread out.:thumb:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=20865

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.