Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened to find this picture on 4chan to say the least... but Id seriously like to do this minus the scope. Cutting the barrel down and re crowning it wouldn't be a problem, but the front sight would be. Id like to cut down an AK sight to just below the windage adjustment point so you could use the AK sight tool, instead of a punch and hammer.

Anybody else have any bastardized nagants?

·
Registered
313 Posts
why put a huge scope on this rifle ?? for me this more a rifle with a medium range than an elite sniper . but maybe thi scope have not such a huge range, or the rifle accuracy have been improved

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts
why put a huge scope on this rifle ?? for me this more a rifle with a medium range than an elite . but maybe thi scope have not such a huge range, or the rifle accuracy have been improved
That scope isn't as big as it looks - I think roughly two inches of the front of the scope is a sun shield.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I like guns that shoot cheap ammo. However, no one make a peep sight for it. Been tempted to buy a mosin or two and build a peep sight for it and possibly commerically sell it. However, sicne the guns are so cheap, I don't think people will spend the money for a sight. My guess is 50-75 to make a sight and turn a profit from it.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
The mosin nagant is probably the most modified rifle these days. I think as long as it isn't one from the 30's or earlier it's cool. Just don't destroy some thing historical.

As far as a heap rifle that can shoot a target from across the planet. A mosin can't be beat.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow none of you totally read the first line of the post, and for bubba'ing, I don't think using a lathe, machine tools is bubba'ing. Has anyone adjust a front sight on a nagant? It purely sucks and the AK style would be a improvement. m44s are getting more rare each day and the price is triple to quadruple that of a new 91/30. Im not hacking mine up nor painting the few that I have with little marks.

If everyone liked stock then wed be stuck with model t's.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
This guy on SKSBoards (Prince50) is in the process of making a bolt on replacement Mosin front sight. Prototype is due very soon.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=78421.0

His Mosin front sight will probably be similar to design as this, this is his bolt on front sight for a cut down SKS (paratrooper style). The one with the curved bottom is his 2nd gen sight. Here is a link to his website. http://www.assaultplanet.com/

Here is mine

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
I am working on this now;

ati stock pillar bedded with devcon and rock solid ind. pillars
rock solid action screws
rock soild bolt body
chop, face and thread barrel at 19" and install muzzel devise, goal here is to keep leangth of barrel 20"> (undecided, probably ak-74 style brake)
removed rear sight base to expose rail and instaled 3/8" dovetail to weaver adapter/ riser
burris 2-7x32 balistic plex LER scope on low mount rings
rifle bead blasted and duracoated (undecided on color or pattern)
timney trigger
custom recoil pad
custom adjustable cheak rest
free floated barrel channel
bolt contacting areas polished and springs tuned.
bore head spaced and barrel slugged to give accurate measurements for future handloads
bore cleaned via electrolysis

my goal for this rifle is 3moa with cheap surplus, 1-2 moa with good factory ammo and maybe get her to sub moa with hand loads. we will see. :) Dont think that is asking too much at all considering the rifle is capable of 3moa in its original config...

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
When Big 5 had the huge inventory of mosin's and were selling cheap. I bought 2, one the solid wood and one laminate. After gauging both rifles it was obvious that the solid wood had it's throat used up. The laminate though checked out tight like it had never been fired. So I kept the solid wood for original and went with the ATI conversions/with scope mount for the laminate.

Accuracy out to 500 yards isn't bad. I will hit the black each time, for consistency though obviously you can't be shooting the bulk discount loads. That's what the original one is for though. When my friends want to shoot a high powered rifle with kick I hand them that and let them shoot away 'if they can make it past 10 in a row I buy first round'. And at 75 yards it can hit the target consistently even with the tumble and open sights.

BTW at my 45 years of age (eyes don't focus easily past 50 yards) and the huge amount of caffeine and cigarettes consumed in my life I don't measure in MOA's, if I can still hit the black I'm doing great.

Reactions: thenagantghost
1 - 12 of 12 Posts