Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people are seeing in Oklahoma right now related to the virus? I went to Sams the other to get just normal stuff, and it looked like hand sanitizer was getting bought up quickly. Besides that didn't notice any change. Don't plan on shopping this weekend but wouldn't be surprised to hear that stores experience more foot traffic this weekend.

·
Indefatigable
19,740 Posts
We ARE shopping tomorrow - early. We are stocked, but it never hurts to hedge the bet.
If you are looking for things that sell out quickly, you have to think ahead. EVERYONE goes to home depot, but no one drives 5 miles out of the burbs to look for their local mom and pop stores.
Walgreens in Tulsa may have some empty spots as do the big box stores and home improvement stores, however...8 miles away from us on what others would call "the wrong side of the tracks" the feed store, dollar store, lumber yard, Hispanic market and drug store all seem to be stocked and doing business as usual.
Hubby went to the lumber yard yesterday, they had a full shelf of masks. I went to the $ store, med racks were full.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did a WalMart pickup yesterday and the parking lot was full. I thought it must be food stamp day. Went to Aldi for one item and the parking lot was full there also. This is in a suburb of Tulsa.

There are 2 others they are watching besides the 3 they cleared.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
I was at Wallyworld yesterday and saw nothing different than normal. Also went to a big Asian/ Pacific Rim market near me and saw a small number of people in face masks but that's not entirely out of line among Asians, though there were a few more than normal. Ditto for a large grocery store.

So far no difference in availability of supplies, even imported rice and such. No need to panic yet.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I shop at Aldi's online, if an item runs out, there's an alternative shown or I can chose to NOT get the item. Shopped today, but only had 2 choices to select from and that doesn't mean I won't get items of choice when it arrives.
Works for me :D:. Saves time, hassel taking a bus, the shopper's choose the best and I don't have to expose myself to a potential virus :xeye:. I consider the benefits to outweigh the cost, i.e., $3.99 + driver tip which is usually under $3, today it was around $6. Still worth to me :thumb:

·
Hard Wired
280 Posts
went to Wal-Mart yesterday morning seen several empty spots, bleach, otc meds, canned meat, beans, rice, soups, TP all was low or out, so I left. headed over to the store the wife works at they were fully stocked by there were several people stocking up and asking for face masks.

·
Indefatigable
19,740 Posts
Shopping today went off without a hitch. We don't live in this neighborhood so I can tell you we shopped on Brookside in Tulsa, for a better reference.

We went to an Ace hardware, all looked normal, but we didn't specifically go check their stock of masks.
Walmart (NOT a supercenter) was business as usual. I didn't see any blank spots, hand sanitizer, bleach, water, batteries, paper products, OTC meds, all good. The only thing featured in the main aisle was wine and green cupcakes. Didn't go looking for masks since we didn't need any and there was a long line at the pharmacy that I felt was best avoided on a good day.
We picked up meds at a family run pharmacy and I asked the lady if it had been busy, she just said Saturdays always are. So I got more specific, I told her as a retired nurse, I was curious how the public was dealing with the virus. I asked if they were selling more PPE. She said the only thing they were out of was hand sanitizer.
The $ store was a mess as usual, there were no disinfectant wipes, but that doesn't mean there weren't 2 pallets on the dock waiting for Jimmy to finish that blunt before he unloaded them LOL But they had all the other necessities.
No one looked like they were in a panic, I didn't see $400 hauls in shopping carts, I didn't see anyone wearing a mask or gloves.
Props to the $ store - the ONLY place I went all day that had a big old sign hanging on the front door that said WASH YOUR HANDS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to a Walmart in OKC this morning to pick up one item I forgot the other day. Pretty calm. They were restocking while I was in there. Didn't check everything but there was still plenty of bags of rice on the shelves. Got a propane tank refilled at Sams and saw a guy buying a deep freezer. Could of just been a coincidence. Hit a couple of liquor stores and got lucky and found some allocated bourbon.

·
Indefatigable
19,740 Posts
went about 1030 last night
toilet paper ,water, bleach were depleted , they were restocking but the pallets seemed light not near sufficient to replace what was missing.
Pardon, at one point I wanted to be a sociologist so I ask this question...
Since we live about an hour apart what do you think makes such a large difference in our shopping experiences?
And a question for anyone to answer - at this point - would you expect cities or smaller towns to run short on supplies first? and why? and most importantly does that information match up to what you have been reading here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't have an answer to your question yet. Tomorrow I'm heading out to the BOL/hunting land and plan on stopping at the dollar general in the closest town. This town has a population of less than 1,000. Its just a coincidence that I'm going out to the BOL tomorrow nothing to do with the virus. Need to check trail cameras, feeders and get ready for turkey season.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Pardon, at one point I wanted to be a sociologist so I ask this question...
Since we live about an hour apart what do you think makes such a large difference in our shopping experiences?
And a question for anyone to answer - at this point - would you expect cities or smaller towns to run short on supplies first? and why? and most importantly does that information match up to what you have been reading here?
relatively smaller town with a concentrated student population many of those are international so they may have seen/experienced/been told by their relatives about similar situations. (at one point the claim to fame for one of the two walmarts in town was that they were the only one to stock 20 kilo bags of rice)

date; social security, disability, WIC, SNAP, etc. posted and they had been cleaned out by those that had to wait to stock up.

I suspect that the goal will be/is to maintain as large a degree of normalcy in larger population centers lessening the severity of potential unrest (bread and circuses)

does it match up...can't make a determination I go shopping once a month, unless there is a special situation. I feel the concern hasn't peaked here yet, this is a result of
1) the " Hooeey, I got guns I'll get what I need one way or another" attitude.
2) the educated elite echo chamber of this is political hyperbole there for they won't legitimize it by reacting.

I may do a walk through in the middle of the day the middle of the week.

·
Hard Wired
280 Posts
I kind of agree with Swamppapa in part
I don't trust the News coming out of DC or from the CDC, they are trying to keep the country calm and not start a panic here, as for further shortages I can see if it gets really bad they will at first redirect shipments of supplies to the bigger cities and towns to hold off unrest but after the shipments start getting smaller because the ones delivering the supplies are afraid to enter the cities that's when I see it going down hill fast for even the small towns. but that is just MHO, but until then im going to take it one day at a time and keep my friends close and my enemies closer.
wish all here to stay safe and ready

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
comparison I'll check in at our local "general store" family run. they stock little bit of everything except fresh fruit and vegetables, meat comes from a local (30 miles) processor with a regional presence. the proprietors make a run to the dry goods warehouse once a week.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Where I live in KAnsas, the local Wal Mart was having a sale on rubbing alcohol. 4 boxes of rubbing alcohol had been put on the shelf to be sold, and only one of them was empty. That means that people are thinking about the matter, but not panicking

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mostly have noticed a run on bleach, rice, frozen meat, cold/flu meds. So far hand sanitizer, Lysol, water still in pretty good shape. Just been grabbing here and there. Plan to be ready.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts