1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Here we go with the "12 Monkeys" scenario. I keep getting nervous every time they start coming up with more virulent strains. If one of these makes it out of the lab we are toast.
It might be worth getting a flue vaccination this year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Economic crisis + Bird flu = possible social shut down.

Imagine tons of homeless people, and then a flu spreading amongst them

·
Registered
367 Posts
Preparing for quarantine at home

Imagine a really bad killer flu going around, hospitals are overflowing and not taking new patients, and perhaps even martial law has been declared. Do you have the following items?

gloves
masks
disposable gowns
hair covers
shoe covers
disinfectants
etc.

If one of my kids gets sick, I wouldn't want to infect the rest of the household, so I would have to do the best I could. I hadn't thought about this before.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
I just got over the flu.

Knocked me out of it for the past 5 days, all I have done is sleep and sit here an hour or two each day surfing the net.

Overall I can say it was pretty bad for about three days. I literally slept for probably 60 hours in three days. Slept like I hadn't slept in a month.

I took a lot of vitamin C, zinc, etc and that helped tremendously.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Flu is up here too!

I just got over it. My wife has it presently. I took the flu shot and it didn't do a thing to prevent it. It was a bad version and not the stuff to have when its -40-50F and the cold spell is expected to last a while.

The water lines froze and I will get the water working today with the nepco forced air kerosene heater.

It got me thinking. You need to have your plans organized and structured in a way that you can do things when you are sick. I had to get the car started and the outside electrical outlet went south. I took the battery inside and warmed it up and put the trickle charger on it.

I think that we have to be prepared for the worst case scenario when the economy goes south, social unrest, bad weather, and viruses hit at the same time. That is when we have to GET TOUGH!

May all have a healthy happy new year,

Thomas

·
Registered
327 Posts
This is the 4th year in a row that I've gotten the flu. I'm getting over it right now. Grr. The ONLY good thing about it is that I'm pretty sure I've lost the 5 lbs I gained over Christmas. . .:xeye:

I'm going to get some more buckets. If the family gets this and there's plumbing issues, I want to be better prepped.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I married my wife, a third grade school teacher, I started getting flu shots yearly. These kids are just walking germ factories in the fall and winter!

Parents, PLEASE do not send your kids to school sick with a cold or the flu. It gets others sick. Teachers bring it home. It spreads.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
With my husband in the military I see a lot of the 'control' group sort of thing concerning vaccines as it's required that our service men get them. It's not optional. The squadron's rotate the days that they send their guys to medical to get vaccinated because there's always an outbreak of the flu right after they get their shots. What I'm saying is that within a day or two of receiving the shot the guys get sick. The Chief's know this is going to happen so they plan accordingly so that not everyone is going to be out of the shops at the same time.

My husband got the shot and was sick within 48 hours. I got sick about 10 days later, sometime around Thanksgiving but mine didn't last nearly as long and wasn't nearly as severe as my husband's.

If you'll notice the pharma companies state that it doesn't prevent you from getting the flu, but is supposed to lessen the symptoms.

I say thanks, but no thanks to the flu shots. I still have that option.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
With my husband in the military I see a lot of the 'control' group sort of thing concerning vaccines as it's required that our service men get them. It's not optional. The squadron's rotate the days that they send their guys to medical to get vaccinated because there's always an outbreak of the flu right after they get their shots. What I'm saying is that within a day or two of receiving the shot the guys get sick. The Chief's know this is going to happen so they plan accordingly so that not everyone is going to be out of the shops at the same time.

My husband got the shot and was sick within 48 hours. I got sick about 10 days later, sometime around Thanksgiving but mine didn't last nearly as long and wasn't nearly as severe as my husband's.

If you'll notice the pharma companies state that it doesn't prevent you from getting the flu, but is supposed to lessen the symptoms.

Thank you! I've been in the military for 11 years, and each year they attempt to "force" me and everyone else to get a flu shot. After about my first four "vaccinations" I realized that I get the flu immediately following the shot. The only advantage to taking the vaccination is that you know when the flu is coming. Fortunately, I've been able to weasel my way out of those shots for the past six years or so. I did get the flu this winter for the first time since I stopped taking the vaccinations, but overall I like my chances without the vaccine!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have been under the belief that some folks get the flu from the flu shots. The pharmaceutical companies tell you otherwise, but then they are the ones selling the shot.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts

Unless things have changed since I was in, the military cannot force you to have any type of vaccination. They will tell you it is a requirement, and threaten you if you do not get it, but it was still never a requirement.

I just would not go to medical on my scheduled day. The Chief would get a notice of those that did not get shots, etc. round those guys up and tell them to go. Again, I would not go. Mind you, I never told the Chief "no" in these situations, but I just didn't show up at medical. This went on for several years until they figured out what I was doing.

Finally, on one occasion, our OIC came to our group and explained in no uncertain terms that we were all "required" to get our yearly vaccinations while looking at me the entire time. Again, I just did not go. Three days later I was pulled aside by the OIC and told to go now. At that point, I indicated that I was not going to get vaccinated. After the "you wills, you musts," etc. I was asked why I did not want to get vaccinated to which I gave them my personal objections due to there was no way I could be sure what I was being injected with. I finally asked my OIC if I was being given a "direct order" to get vaccinated, to which the answer was no. I was never approached about it again during my time in the military.

On a side note, this was during the first Gulf War, in which it has now been documented that the government was, in fact, injecting troops with experimental vaccines without their knowledge - I was not one of them!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Unless things have changed since I was in, the military cannot force you to have any type of vaccination. They will tell you it is a requirement, and threaten you if you do not get it, but it was still never a requirement.

I just would not go to medical on my scheduled day. The Chief would get a notice of those that did not get shots, etc. round those guys up and tell them to go. Again, I would not go. Mind you, I never told the Chief "no" in these situations, but I just didn't show up at medical. This went on for several years until they figured out what I was doing.

Finally, on one occasion, our OIC came to our group and explained in no uncertain terms that we were all "required" to get our yearly vaccinations while looking at me the entire time. Again, I just did not go. Three days later I was pulled aside by the OIC and told to go now. At that point, I indicated that I was not going to get vaccinated. After the "you wills, you musts," etc. I was asked why I did not want to get vaccinated to which I gave them my personal objections due to there was no way I could be sure what I was being injected with. I finally asked my OIC if I was being given a "direct order" to get vaccinated, to which the answer was no. I was never approached about it again during my time in the military.

On a side note, this was during the first Gulf War, in which it has now been documented that the government was, in fact, injecting troops with experimental vaccines without their knowledge - I was not one of them!
I'm guessing you're in the Navy. And yes there are ways to avoid getting it, however, it is required. I think it depends quite a bit on your OIC and your Chief. You got lucky.

It's also easier to dodge the shot if you're on shore duty vs. being on deployment (on a ship). I'm not implying where you were because I don't know....I'm just saying that it's easier to avoid if you're on shore duty.

The military is still inoculating it's personnel with 'cocktails' and when asking the corpsmen administrating the shot....they have no idea what's in it. And because of screw ups in records some guys ended up having to take the 'cocktail' shot twice. This situation happened during my husband's last deployment about 3 years ago.

The military is and always has been (at least since WWII) the 'control' group for vaccinations. And God only knows what's in those shots. I do know that when he gets them he gets sick as dog within 48 hours after getting it with 'flu' like symptoms.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts

They do test a lot of things on troops.

Back in 87 when I was in the Army in Basic they injected my company with something.

Everybody got big pus filled blisters with worms in the pus.

A couple of the guys busted their open and dug the worms out. They were about 4mm long and 1/2 mm wide and wriggled like crazy when exposed to air. If you didn't bust the blisters they would eventually dry up and slough off.

I still have the scar on my arm from where they did the injections.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts