Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been covered well enough, but I have been really intrigued in culturing my own bacteria. And since I'm on summer break and have more than two cents to rub together, I decided to try and start a growth chamber up.

My primary goals are to understand how to culture bacteria and molds, as well as how they do what they do. Actually obtaining amounts necessary to be useful isn't as big of a concern right now, because I would rather have a small amount of something I know how to utilize, than a lot of something I don't have a clue about.

Anyways, to the point of my question. I know I really want to culture penicillin, as that seems to be a pretty safe starting point. It doesn't seem to be too dangerous to handle (as opposed to some black molds or what not), and relatively easy to handle. I'm also thinking about trying to culture yeasts, though I still have some questions on that. What are some other bacterium/molds that I as a civilian have access too and would be beneficial.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
make yogurt, that is bacillus at work. easy to do. sterile 90 degree milk is the media, add a spoon full of live yogurt and keep in a warm dark place for about 12 to 20 hours...
have some fun

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
Various cheese cultures and bread/brewing yeasts would be very useful indeed! As for antibiotics, it's easier to just stockpile them. Many of them last really well, and they can be mail ordered cheaply enough without a prescription. With homemade ones you don't really have any way of knowing doseage and effectiveness.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you learn how to grow your own penicillin, please post here. I'm interested how it would be done, as it would be a near invaluable skill to have once medicine becomes scarce.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,527 Posts
If you learn how to grow your own penicillin, please post here. I'm interested how it would be done, as it would be a near invaluable skill to have once medicine becomes scarce.
Apparently it's not terribly hard to do. It's often a class project in college. You might look through some textbooks (do they use those anymore?) to see if you can find the one with the instructions.

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
While the idea of "growing" ones own penicillin is attractive and in line with the self sufficiency mindset, I'd be really careful about self medication, especially with kitchen table concoctions. I'm with Mike K, stockpile them. To my way of thinking, there are just too many things that could go wrong. Even the cultures grown in college are not used for human usage. TP

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While the idea of "growing" ones own penicillin is attractive and in line with the self sufficiency mindset, I'd be really careful about self medication, especially with kitchen table concoctions. I'm with Mike K, stockpile them. To my way of thinking, there are just too many things that could go wrong. Even the cultures grown in college are not used for human usage. TP
Not to be rude, but that is what researching and practicing are for. According to my research, cantaloupe provides a media that only penicillium grows on. I'm not sure how accurate that it, as the website did seem questionable. However, because I know what penicillium looks like, I can rule out all other microbes that appear on the cantaloupe. If there are several similar looking colonies on the medium, then I collect a sample from each and place it among other established colonies in a Petri dish. Whichever one starts killing the colonies is penicillium.

Also, I am not going to utilize these first batches, as I do not know what is going to happen to them. Once I know what to expect, then I'll think about using it.

The problem for me with stockpiling pills and medications is that I hardly ever get sick. When I do get sick, it affects me a lot less than it would someone else. My point is that I and my family are not going to go through a bottle of ibuprofen fast enough to make it useful to stockpile ten bottles of ibuprofen. Many of them would expire before they could even get used. I guess as a bartering tool they would be useful, but we still run into the problem of them getting used fast enough.

I would much rather learn how to make natural alternatives to pills, and spend that money on buying the materials to make my own, than wasting it on a couple extra bottles of ibuprofen or benadryl.

And just for some food for thought, these kitchen table concoctions are what were used before pills. I know some remedies were flat out erroneous, and I'm avoiding those as there's no point to explore them. However, the ones that did work, I am looking in to and trying to practice them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts