Survivalist Forum banner

Cults, no religion or politics please

2136 Views 88 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  zooeyhll
When I was organizing the cellars earlier this year, YouTube decided that this was a video I would like to watch. While I don't agree with his list as a whole, I do agree that destructive cults do tend to rise up during turbulent times. Fear, the inability to take care of one's self, and the need to belong when other connections fail are all motivating factors that drive people to join cults. All of these things will be present if society changes and things go south.

Cult leaders often start by separating people from loved ones both mentally and physically. They "invite" their followers to leave their homes and go far away. They tell their followers to not trust others, even people like them, keeping their followers only looking to them for survival. They like to tell their followers about how hard things are or will become. This way their followers won't mind working hard and living in less than ideal arrangements while the leader lives in relative comfort. Doomsday predictions are often part of these groups, starting off as vague ("you know the world is ending just by looking at what's going on around you"), but become more specific if the leader thinks s/he is losing control ("on December 31, 2023 a star will go supernova and swallow the earth, and unless you send your soul to the stars with me you will cease to exist"). Leaders start off with easy to follow orders (gather every Thursday for meetings) that steadily get more vulgar as they go on (let the leader have sex with your spouse or children), until fear of losing control can lead to murder, suicide, or both in the name of the leader. Often the leader spends a lot of time telling how less their followers are and how much more the leader is, using vague insults and promises of becoming more by following the leader. They will play their followers off one another, using favor from the leader as reward for the most loyal, and punishment from the group for those who dare question the leader.

Studies done show we are all susceptible to these cult leaders. They use our human need to belong, and like the frog slowly being boiled, they reel their followers in until it is too late. Not every cult leads to murder and suicide, but enough do to worry about it.

How susceptible do you think you are to these cult leaders? Do you think you would recognize one if they started working on you? Would you have the ability to admit you were wrong if you started following one only to recognize it later? Do you have friends, family, or neighbors that might be vulnerable to to one and betray you to them? Do you have the ability to help not only yourself, but others to not fall into a cult and bring that kind of thinking into your area? Remember that the more remote the area, the more a cult leader might want to take his/her followers to that area. That way they can only get information from the leader

This is asking not to have everyone post their favorite wanna-be cult, but to ask you how you would handle recruiting efforts from a cult or what you would do if one moved into your area. If you would even recognize if a cult leader, wanna-be or established, was working on you.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

· Registered
503 Posts
You say not to bring religion into this thread. Cults, many times, are "religious". A religion is a belief in a supernatural being or spiritual leader.

But to answer your question if they would have an affect on me, no. I am grounded in Christ Jesus.

There are a few cults around me now. I just shake my head, do my job, and laugh at them as I pull out of the driveway.

· Registered
9,663 Posts
I believe with the, for lack of a better word, demonizing of religion many people have turned to a new cult...Liberalism. I know we all kid about this but I am serious. Think about it, cults separate members from family and friends. How many people were encouraged to write off friends/family if they supported Trump? I know quite a few. Also, any differing opinion a liberal hears they refuse to believe it. You are wrong they are right, always.

I believe there are many parallels between Liberalism and a cult.

As for falling into a cult personally. It would never happen. I have no need to belong to anything. I am an army of one.

*side note * The Cult is one of my all time favorite bands.

UPDATE I just realized you said no politics so delete my comment if you want. But I believe it's worth talking about.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

· Registered
980 Posts
Cult leaders often start by separating people from loved ones both mentally and physically. They "invite" their followers to leave their homes and go far away. They tell their followers to not trust others, even people like them, keeping their followers only looking to them for survival. They like to tell their followers about how hard things are or will become. This way their followers won't mind working hard and living in less than ideal arrangements while the leader lives in relative comfort.
Take an objective look at society in general.
I think one would be surprised at the multitude in plain sight.

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
I have always had a spider sense when it came to cults. No I would not fall under the spell of such a person or group. Thus the almost 50 years of being around motorcycles I have never ridden with a group or wanted to belong to one.
Whenever I have had interactions with a Cult member when they were out Recruiting. I always got a sense something wasn't right and wanted to be away from that person right away as them being something Evil.

· Registered
700 Posts
This 100%. I'm not a fan of other people reaching conclusions for me. I have eyes and a brain I will figure out what is worthwhile and what isn't. So many of these in plain sight cults have one thing in common they want to take away power from the individual and place it in the gamble of another forces care.
You are the captain of your ship, I personally won't be letting go of the wheel in the hopes it gets better. I'd rather take responsibility and do it myself.

· Registered
5,186 Posts
When I was organizing the cellars earlier this year, YouTube decided that this was a video I would like to watch. While I don't agree with his list as a whole, I do agree that destructive cults do tend to rise up during turbulent times. Fear, the inability to take care of one's self, and the need to belong when other connections fail are all motivating factors that drive people to join cults. All of these things will be present if society changes and things go south.

Cult leaders often start by separating people from loved ones both mentally and physically. They "invite" their followers to leave their homes and go far away. They tell their followers to not trust others, even people like them, keeping their followers only looking to them for survival. They like to tell their followers about how hard things are or will become. This way their followers won't mind working hard and living in less than ideal arrangements while the leader lives in relative comfort. Doomsday predictions are often part of these groups, starting off as vague ("you know the world is ending just by looking at what's going on around you"), but become more specific if the leader thinks s/he is losing control ("on December 31, 2023 a star will go supernova and swallow the earth, and unless you send your soul to the stars with me you will cease to exist"). Leaders start off with easy to follow orders (gather every Thursday for meetings) that steadily get more vulgar as they go on (let the leader have sex with your spouse or children), until fear of losing control can lead to murder, suicide, or both in the name of the leader. Often the leader spends a lot of time telling how less their followers are and how much more the leader is, using vague insults and promises of becoming more by following the leader. They will play their followers off one another, using favor from the leader as reward for the most loyal, and punishment from the group for those who dare question the leader.

Studies done show we are all susceptible to these cult leaders. They use our human need to belong, and like the frog slowly being boiled, they reel their followers in until it is too late. Not every cult leads to murder and suicide, but enough do to worry about it.

How susceptible do you think you are to these cult leaders? Do you think you would recognize one if they started working on you? Would you have the ability to admit you were wrong if you started following one only to recognize it later? Do you have friends, family, or neighbors that might be vulnerable to to one and betray you to them? Do you have the ability to help not only yourself, but others to not fall into a cult and bring that kind of thinking into your area? Remember that the more remote the area, the more a cult leader might want to take his/her followers to that area. That way they can only get information from the leader

This is asking not to have everyone post their favorite wanna-be cult, but to ask you how you would handle recruiting efforts from a cult or what you would do if one moved into your area. If you would even recognize if a cult leader, wanna-be or established, was working on you.

Swamp,

The mentioned "studies" telling of "all" as susceptible are somewhat difficult to believe.

In reply to explicit questions;

I am not susceptible.

I remember Uni - Uni ( an earlier version of Universal Unitarians if this is correct name) going around in public playing (attempting to play) bongos while wearing white sheets - some were form-fitting sheets. Only Harry Belefonte could play the bongos.

No, have no friends, family or "neighbors" susceptible.

Yes, I would recongize recruiting efforts.

I have the ability but would not help neighbors or acquaintances.

No cult, as you define them for purposes of this thread (eg no political, no religion), arriving in this area. This is a cult-free zone.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I was talking about not bringing religion or politics into this, I was asking for people to not start finger pointing. Many people think the other political party is a cult or any religion they don't agree with is a cult. I was simply asking people to not do the whole finger pointing thing. This thread could devolve quickly if we all started pointing at the groups we don't like and yelling CULT! That's all I was asking. If you want to talk about your faith, not a problem. That's your right. I only hope you don't think of your faith as part of a cult, just so you don't insult others of your faith. But if you do, that might be part of the discussion as well.

Not all cults are religious. While Manson did claim to be Jesus Christ a few times, his group was more about the end of the world. A race war would happen and while society was picking up the pieces he would swoop in as the new leader. Some people see Communism under Lennin to be a cult. That wasn't about religion. Not all cult groups are based on a faith. Some are based on following a leader that is charismatic enough to take the follower away from their life. We often don't hear about those. I just don't want to devolve into saying this group or that group is a cult. I'd more like to hear how you would protect yourself from those kinds of people who are around us every day.

· Premium Member
6,894 Posts
In some way Hitxxx was a Cult leader and many people have asked the question how could he have gotten so many Germans to follow. All you have to do is look around and at the people who are believing every thing a certain group is saying causing them to hate a person or group and they can't give you a reason why.

· Registered
800 Posts
In the 1970s the Rev moon tried to grab me and my friends up for a revival in Washington D .C He had a bus and promised us a great time, good food and snacks if we'd join them on this short trip to the city . I didn't fall for it then as a preteen and surely wouldn't now. I don't do groups for any cause . I live a very secluded life ,almost hermit like. I like it like that. I do what I want whenever I want .
been this way for years.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree. I'm thinking with the stress of the last few years, people have been drawn to them. We don't usually hear about them until things go bad and by then it is too late. But big or small, I'm thinking we are surrounded by them every day, and surrounded even more by cult leader wanna-bes. Many people stand vigilant against people with guns trying to rob from them or do them harm, but there are many ways on a psychological level for people to take from us or do harm to us.

· Registered
411 Posts
You can not have an honest conversation about cults in isolation from religion and politics because they all involve degrees of the same blind faith requirements.

I'd like to think I'm somehow different however evidence of human behavior tells us we all are susceptible to views we have bias for. Understanding that is a start in identifying your own bias and what we may end up falling for.

· Registered
8 Posts
Everyone is part of a cult because everyone has a god/master they submit to. Whether it be money, religion, politics, themself, etc... Every human being will find something to ground their sense of meaning or fulfillment. A quasi-religious cult is just one type of fulfillment.

In my opinion the biggest cult is the fashion industry. People, mostly women but also men, spend thousands of dollars and hours to dress how their fashion masters and peers dress and apply make-up to find acceptance by other people. A good book on this is Beauty Sick by Dr. Renee Engeln.

Dress in these clothes or people won't like you. Do X with lots of Y and show lots of skin or you aren't a cool person. Agree with our subjective opinion or X and Y and Z will happen. Dance on short videos using this type of body movements with this music overplaying to get lots of likes to get your cult acceptance numbers up.

Sorry if this is off topic from your thread intent OP.

· Registered
700 Posts
Everyone is part of a cult because everyone has a god/master they submit to. Whether it be money, religion, politics, themself, etc... Every human being will find something to ground their sense of meaning or fulfillment. A quasi-religious cult is just one type of fulfillment.

In my opinion the biggest cult is the fashion industry. People, mostly women but also men, spend thousands of dollars and hours to dress how their fashion masters and peers dress and apply make-up to find acceptance by other people. A good book on this is Beauty Sick by Dr. Renee Engeln.
Well that's because we are social animals who historically have had our survival depend on what our tribe thinks of us. Alot of the things we do are subconscious based on survival before the very recent timeline we live in now. Cults are usually lost people in my opinion People want so bad to belong to something bigger than themselves. I think most of us do to some extent or another. I found that with starting a family. I don't desire to be a part of any group except for the group of millionaires so I can provide a good life for my family.

· Premium Member
193 Posts
^^^
|
Solid!
So like, Jeep people? They're the worst!
You can’t look a man in the harry eyeball and tell him you suck cuz you drive a Jeep, I have 2 and—— they def are the worst- the Jeep wave Ha!

* I think the whole cult thing is relative~ to a similar audience, group, ethnicity etc. religious groups, cults, political, preppers, military, dog showing whatever.- they take it to the extremes and then other people don’t understand so therefore it’s nuts

1 - 20 of 89 Posts